Indian Eyedroppers

watch_art

Wanted to share my three big babies tonight.

gallery_41188_9_130273.jpg

Top is a Ratnam Supreme fitted with a #15 Pilot M nib. This was a lucky gift and has become a fantastic pen!

Next is Guider Jumbo received in a great trade for a little Esterbrook Pastel Purse Pen.

Bottom is Deccan with M1000 M nib. Fantastic pen.

gallery_41188_9_124816.jpg

gallery_41188_9_5445.jpg

gallery_41188_9_52870.jpg

Here's a good shot of the Pilot nib in the Ratnam. It didn't exactly fit when I got it. Pilot nibs have little wings on the very end of the nib that fit over their feeds. They sort of click into place. I had to grind those things off so it would fit this ebonite feed in the Ratnam. I also had to do a bit of heat setting of the feed against the nib. It didn't fit well at all. To get it to fit in the section snugly, I put a layer of shellac in there, let it dry, and then set the nib and feed. It works beautifully. The section on this thing begs to be held.

gallery_41188_9_145857.jpg

For better size reference, here it is with Pel M1000 and MB 146.

gallery_41188_9_251531.jpg

Better shots of the Ratnam. Those wood shavings are from letterhead blocks I've been carving. :thumbup:

gallery_41188_9_165848.jpg

Pilot makes fantastic nibs, but I just haven't fallen in love with any of their pens. This thing is perfect though.

gallery_41188_9_73502.jpg

gallery_41188_9_58106.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• hari317

• KrazyIvan

• raging.dragon

I too am jealous. I ordered a guider jumbo. It got lost in shipping, ended up at the dead letter office. Doesn't look like I am ever going to get it. No word from seller in about 4 weeks. Unfortunately the seller needs to initiate the claim for me to recover (which makes no sense, but then again I suppose that is to be expected :) )

Oh well maybe will pick one up used...not going to order new again...

Reports are that these are all pretty decent pens but with your nib mods I bet they are great!

Thanks for sharing!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

The Deccan with the Pelikan 1000 nib.... Wow. Did that come "stock" for the Pelikan nib unit?

I have a couple Varuna pens (believe it is Varuna anyhow) fit with vintage Parker and Sheaffer nibs that I love.... But I'd love a modern Pelikan m1000 stuffed into a hand made pen.... I could see that one pen becoming my entire "rotation" by itself.

Edited by OiRogers

I too am jealous. I ordered a guider jumbo. It got lost in shipping, ended up at the dead letter office. Doesn't look like I am ever going to get it.

Ouch! I'm sorry for you. You'd love if you got to try it.

The Deccan with the Pelikan 1000 nib.... Wow. Did that come "stock" for the Pelikan nib unit?

I have a couple Varuna pens (believe it is Varuna anyhow) fit with vintage Parker and Sheaffer nibs that I love.... But I'd love a modern Pelikan m1000 stuffed into a hand made pen.... I could see that one pen becoming my entire "rotation" by itself.

This was custom made for Hari317 and it found its way to me through the grapevines of FPN. I felt so lucky to get it - and to get it at the price I did. :cloud9:

Here's one in the classifieds I just found.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/classifieds/item/2078-raw-ebonite-hand-made-extra-large-eye-dropper/

I've played with all these models including the Pelikan and Montblanc and can say IMHO that Ratnam Supreme feels best in the hand. I'm starting to regret trading mine.

I agree with that. The Ratnam feels amazing in hand - and is probably my favorite of the three. That Deccan is nothing to be scoffed at though. The Guider, even though it's huge, is really comfortable in hand, too. Would be great for arthritic fingers.

I'm thinking of changing the nib on my Ratnam, but dunno the size number nib it would take. In fact I want to change the feed in it anyway.

The Guider I have is in brown mottled finish (like a large cigar!). I agree its a big one but balances well (unposted). Its got a LARGE IPG(?) nib, a nice writer.

And I also have a Deccan Masterpiece (also with a large IPG nib), but is nothing compared to that M1000 nib! :notworthy1:

You've certainly given me inspiration... :hmm1:

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

I think a JoWo (meisternib) would fit the Ratnam just fine. A number 6. I could take mine apart and give it a try to let you all know. Maybe this week or next weekend. I need to use that pretty Diamine chocolate brown up.

I bought a 302 Ratnam about a month ago. It has a IPG nib and I'm really happy with it, but the thing leaks through the nib when the ink level drops below 1 mL. Any leaking with these?

Atomic Leo

the guider doesn't leak anymore since I put a sac in the section. i have a thread about that somewhere. it's done very well since then. I'm thinking of shellacing a converter in the section on the Ratnam - but don't know if it leaks as it's still pretty full. The Deccan doesn't have that problem at all with that awesome Pelikan feed.

The Deccan doesn't have that problem at all with that awesome Pelikan feed.

combined with the fact that the barrel ink capacity has been restricted to a little less than 3ml.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Very cool. This is not a bad way to use some of the spare nibs and to even compare the nib separately from pens like the M800 or others.

I'd rather hold the Ratnam than an M800. Don't get me wrong - I've used and love the weight and feel of the m800, and that piston is great, but the shape and section of this pen is just... SUPREME! :roflmho:

• 2 weeks later...

It's always nice to see some love for Indian pens. If I ever get back to AR for any length of time, you and I are going to have some talking to do!

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

I'd rather hold the Ratnam than an M800. Don't get me wrong - I've used and love the weight and feel of the m800, and that piston is great, but the shape and section of this pen is just... SUPREME! :roflmho:
Having played with my 800 for a couple of weeks now I must say I agree. I like the feel of the Ratnam better. I will be getting one...again.