The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

My Sütterlin Practice

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Chris Pittman

Chris Pittman

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 13:14

Nice work - I also like Sütterlin a lot (and even better the preceding Kurrent which had more slant and some more bells and whistles, an alphabet can also be found on the site mentioned above: http://www.kurrent.d...reibschrift.htm).

A bit of nitpicking: the word "getrennten" is missing the second "t" and should only have one "n" with a line above (which doubles it), or two "n"s and no line above.

Thanks for the pointers Achim, I do appreciate it. There is always room for improvement and I am always practicing and trying to refine my writing. I know some people who learned this script in school as children and they have also been helpful in correcting my mistakes. I really like the German handwriting, I write in Lateinische Ausgangsschrift as my regular cursive. I am trying to learn Kurrent as well but only just recently started practicing with Bandzug nibs that have enough line variation to get the script to look right.

Sponsored Content

#22 Chevalier

Chevalier

Discordian Pope

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 16:15

I love Kurrent, it always looks good, there's almost no way to make it look ugly or uneven. The capitals need some practice, but less than most other cursive scripts. I think the "Normalschrifterlass" caused a lot of harm.
NerdTests.com says I'm an Uber Cool Nerd God.  Click here to take the Nerd Test!

The Truth is Five but men have but one word for it. - Patamunzo Lingananda

#23 manutius

manutius

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:01

Sütterlin/Suetterlin was taught from 1924 to 1941 (it was forbidden since then, now it's a cultural good)
In my surroundings, nobody can read or write Suetterlin. I think it is very attractive because it is totally different from my normal handwriting.

Day 2:
First part again in German.

Second one english from my Romeo & Juliet book:

I can't comment about Germany, but my grandmother came to the U.S. from Austria-Hungary in 1904 and she wrote in the Sutterlin script, in fact she never learned to write in English although she could read it.

#24 pkotrcka

pkotrcka

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:23

Sorry to see that this thread died 8 years ago. What about some revival? Any Kurrent / Suetterlin writers? I was infected by a local FPN fellow eli.weisz and now I am practising as much as I can.

Kurrent-ly, my handwriting looks like this. Capital C and K definitely needs a lot of additional practise, I would also like to make my handwriting more tidy, smaller, more compact, but that is a goal for following years :-)

IMG_20190727_225610_175.jpg

... I believe in purple ink

Sponsored Content

|