The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

My Sütterlin Practice

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Vanno

Vanno

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2011 - 23:09

Hey

I started practicing Sütterlin back in school, but then my Abitur came and I didn't had the time anymore.

Now, I started again and thought I could show you how I'm doing.
So here is my 'first' practice session:

A quote from Goethes "The Sorrows of Young Werther" :

and a short part in english ;)

5.8.11_2

It will take some time to get it more fluent. The letters do not have the same size...I sometomes miss some letters, because I'm really concentrated, writting in enligsh is even more difficult then.

Vanessa

Sponsored Content

#2 GhostShip Blue

GhostShip Blue

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:23

What an interesting script - I'd never heard of it before and (if I recall my high school German correctly, "Ich habe kleine Deutsch.") don't speak or read German. I love that it has ligatures for "mm" and "nn". Great work so far, and important to keep the script alive by learning it.
"If you show us a drunk blonde chick in her underwear, she has to die. That's just how we roll." - I wish I knew who to attribute that to. T'weren't me.

Posted Image
Ain't great, but it's the best I've got. So far.

#3 Vanno

Vanno

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2011 - 23:43

Sütterlin/Suetterlin was taught from 1924 to 1941 (it was forbidden since then, now it's a cultural good)
In my surroundings, nobody can read or write Suetterlin. I think it is very attractive because it is totally different from my normal handwriting.

Day 2:
First part again in German.
6.8.G.jpg

Second one english from my Romeo & Juliet book:

6.8.E.jpg

#4 slqqqq

slqqqq

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:20

Posted Image I like this script too~
slqqqq
---------------------
If you have any problem with Chinese site, Chinese calligraphy or need translation, PM me. I am happy to translate for you.
---------------------
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 penemuel

penemuel

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:27

That is gorgeous! I used to know that writing, and actually used it to write "secret messages", but have since forgotten it. I think I need to re-learn it. Do you have any good sources to use for reference/learning?
Posted Image <--Member since June 2011

#6 Vanno

Vanno

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2011 - 13:09

That is gorgeous! I used to know that writing, and actually used it to write "secret messages", but have since forgotten it. I think I need to re-learn it. Do you have any good sources to use for reference/learning?

For having an alphabet , I use this one Sütterlin

And seeing some written texts in Sütterlin ( for comparison)

Sütterlin2

#7 Vanno

Vanno

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2011 - 23:19

Today's lesson: no text but practicing single words...

page 1

page 2

page 3

In the End I lost concentration..but finally it's slowly getting towards writing... no drawing anymore

#8 Vanno

Vanno

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:48

It's getting better!

8.8 Page 1

8.8 Page 2

I really like page 2, because w and r are some of my favourite letters..

#9 Chevalier

Chevalier

Discordian Pope

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2011 - 21:48

You are already quite good. Why are you learning Sütterlin, do you like it that much? I'd rather learn a nice Kurrent hand (that's just me), mainly because Sütterlin somehow looks childish to me, no matter how many years you are writing it, but also because you could use a nice flex pen to write a beautiful Spitzfederkurrent.
NerdTests.com says I'm an Uber Cool Nerd God.  Click here to take the Nerd Test!

The Truth is Five but men have but one word for it. - Patamunzo Lingananda

#10 Vanno

Vanno

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:40

Some years ago, I bought a CD on which something was written in Sütterlin. I wanted to read it, so I had to learn it :D .

Of course I won't use it as my everyday handwriting, but I really like it for short notes.

#11 penemuel

penemuel

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2011 - 22:01

For having an alphabet , I use this one Sütterlin

And seeing some written texts in Sütterlin ( for comparison)

Sütterlin2

Thank you for the links (and sorry this response took so long!) I'm going to have fun with this :D

#12 Vanno

Vanno

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:20

No problem.

Will you upload some samples of what you're writing?

#13 penemuel

penemuel

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2011 - 14:51

No problem.

Will you upload some samples of what you're writing?

It may take a while (especially since I keep forgetting to look at this when I'm *home* instead of taking a break at work, where a lot of images are filtered...), but sure!

#14 Vanno

Vanno

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2011 - 19:57

Because I have 2 exams next week, I won't have the time to upload some new images, but I continue practicing

#15 Chris Pittman

Chris Pittman

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 21:00

Some years ago, I bought a CD on which something was written in Sütterlin. I wanted to read it, so I had to learn it :D .

Of course I won't use it as my everyday handwriting, but I really like it for short notes.

What CD was it, was it a Silke Bischoff album by any chance, Man On The Wooden Cross? I have been writing in Suetterlin for 10 years, a beautiful script. I have a few different variants that I use. I am working on Kurrent now. The interest for me stems from trying to read old Feldpost letters from the war, and my admiration for the beautiful handwriting from that time. I will have to post some scans later.

Chris P.

#16 Vanno

Vanno

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2011 - 22:49

What CD was it, was it a Silke Bischoff album by any chance, Man On The Wooden Cross? I have been writing in Suetterlin for 10 years, a beautiful script. I have a few different variants that I use. I am working on Kurrent now. The interest for me stems from trying to read old Feldpost letters from the war, and my admiration for the beautiful handwriting from that time. I will have to post some scans later.

Chris P.

No it was Time-Zeit by Coppelius.
Yes, please post some scans, that would be wonderful.

#17 Chris Pittman

Chris Pittman

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:01

I spent a couple minutes writing and scanning a few lines. Here is an old recipe, written in Pelikan blue-black ink with an M200.s1.jpg

#18 Chris Pittman

Chris Pittman

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:02

Some lines from an old book about writing letters, Pelikan turquoise with a Soennecken dip pen.s2.jpg

#19 Chris Pittman

Chris Pittman

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:03

Diamine Registrars ink with a Brause Bandzugfeder, I think this captures the antique look the best.s3.jpg

#20 Achim

Achim

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:12

Nice work - I also like Sütterlin a lot (and even better the preceding Kurrent which had more slant and some more bells and whistles, an alphabet can also be found on the site mentioned above: http://www.kurrent.d...reibschrift.htm).

A bit of nitpicking: the word "getrennten" is missing the second "t" and should only have one "n" with a line above (which doubles it), or two "n"s and no line above.

Edited by Achim, 12 August 2011 - 09:13.

Sponsored Content

|