Bexley Corona Arrives!

tonybelding

The more I see this pen more i'm thinking this isn't for me, it helps I have a Pelikan 800 headed my way. It kinda falls in the middle ground. $100 more than the TWSBI and $100 less than a Pelikan 800. Is it worth $100 more than a TWSBI? Is it a better value than a Pelikan 800? I'll wait and see what comes used.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tonybelding

• watch_art

• JefferyS

• Jimmy James

$100 more than the TWSBI and $100 less than a Pelikan 800. Is it worth $100 more than a TWSBI? Is it a better value than a Pelikan 800? I'll wait and see what comes used.

These kinds of calculations are always subjective. But from my own viewpoint. . .

Is it worth $100 more than a TWSBI? I'd say not from a purely functional standpoint, because the TWSBI is a highly functional pen. However. . . The Corona has a bigger nib, is constructed from better materials, has a more classical appearance. It's more luxuriant. Also, the TWSBI 530 is pretty much gone, and the new 540 model will be priced somewhat higher (not sure exactly how much), so that means the difference in cost will actually be somewhat less than $100. (And I say that as someone looking forward to getting a 540 or maybe a 550. They're going to be very cool.)

As for being $100 less than a Pelikan 800. . . Not sure where you are getting your prices. According to my math, the Corona runs about $250 less than a Pelikan 800. That assumes you are getting a steel nib (which is excellent) on the Corona. But whose fault is it that Pelikan don't offer the 800 with a steel nib?

Is the Corona a better value than the 800? It is for me, because I personally like the styling of the Corona better than the 800, even if they were the same price. On the other hand, the 800 is an iconic design that has a reputation going back decades and is known worldwide, and is found in the pockets and on the desks of CEOs and statesmen. What is that kind of reputation worth?

I will post a review once I've had a chance to take some pics of the pen, but in my opinion it is an extraordinary value for money.

I am a huge fan of the TWSBI 530, but there's no question this is easily $100 more pen. The materials are much nicer, the shape more elegant, and per Richard Binder the piston mechanism is state-of-the-art (I tend to value his opinion). The Corona is a $150 pen that looks like a $500 pen.

As for comparison to the Pelikan 800: I don't currently own one but have used the 800 extensively. I think the quality of construction and engineering is similar. The Bexley's steel nib is definitely not as "soft" as the Pelikan 800's..but you could always get a gold Bexley which I'd imagine feels as good (if not better) than the Pelikan. To my eyes the Bexley is a more attractive pen (and as a huge Pelikan fan it's hard for me to say that!). As far as legacy and reptuation, etc. go the Pelikan is definitely in the lead...although if those are the qualities one seeks I think the MB149 is the way to go.

Let me be quite frank: I have only had my Corona a few days but I prefer it to some of my favorite pens including a 1980s MB 149, Lamy 2000, and even my Pelikan 200s. That's the highest praise I can give it.

Cheers,

NM.

I definitely don't want to give the impression that I think the Corona and the TWSBI are comparable. They are in a couple of ways (size and that the cap posts on the filler knob), but the materials are indeed very different. I can't say which I like better because I haven't used the Corona, but the Corona is more like my Lamy 2000 and the TWSBI is more like my Safari. I love both, but they're different. I think there is no reason why TWSBI couldn't end up making superb writing instruments, and TWSBI is I think an overall better value at its price point than the Corona is at its price point. The Corona is a very nice pen to look at, to touch, and to hold. It's my most expensive pen, and I don't think it will be a let down.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

The Bexley's steel nib is definitely not as "soft" as the Pelikan 800's..but you could always get a gold Bexley which I'd imagine feels as good (if not better) than the Pelikan.

This is a bit of a peeve for me. . . One reason I avoid ordering any pen with a 18K gold nib is because I'm afraid of getting a "soft" one. To me, soft is bad. Soft means weak, it means mushy-feeling.

I think some people get softness confused with flex. Although I usually like firm nibs anyhow, my Reform Czar is an old favorite example with a 14K gold semi-flex nib. If more companies today had 14K gold semi-flex options, I'd be more tempted to go that way.

I don't flex my nibs (that sounds sort of vulgar), so I should probably buy steel Bexley nibs. Gold adds a huge expense to the pen.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Here is my Lemon. I took photos on my bed in bad lighting, and this was the only one that came out acceptably well to me. I think it is more representative of the color of the pen than the picture available on Richard's site.

ETA: Oops, you might like the photo:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6008/6018960853_39845e19aa.jpg

Lemon by Erechtheus, on Flickr

Edited by Jimmy James

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Oh I'm definitely lusting after the Lemon... I think if I want to afford it anytime soon I had better try the steel nib though.

Thank you for the picture! :notworthy1: :thumbup:

Gobblecup ~

I have always thought the Bexley Elegancia was the prettiest affordable fountain pen, but the Corona is making the Elegancia moot.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

WONDERFUL review, and after seeing all of the great colors on Richard's website, I have added this to my wishlist.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

You guys are going to singlehandedly resuscitate the US economy.

I can almost hear Richard saying "Forget it! I'm not Binderizing all these nibs! I quit!"

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I filled my Lemon pen with Noodler's Dark Matter. I've been looking for a good pen for black ink, and that's my favorite black. It's really outstanding. I find the ink window to be perfectly clear without being distracting -- while I have long thought about the Stipula Vedo or Ventidue, the giant ink window turns me off. While the nib isn't as wide and isn't quite as satisfying to me as my Lamy 2000, I can scarcely think of any other nib in my collection that is as good.

I was wrong about posting -- it's close, but the pen is just long enough to be comfortable in my hand without posting. I'll see if photos I took today came out better than the ones from yesterday at home. If so, I'll post a few more.

Sorry to disappoint, but a lot of my photos from today did not come out well either. It would be best for me to be able to take photos in my workplace library, but our air conditioning in most of the office was broken today. I was therefore relegated to my desk where the temperatures were more bearable. Hopefully tomorrow will be better if I remember to take the camera.

Here is one photo that worked okay. The pens are on a manilla folder.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6124/6023878908_da74b0a59b.jpg

Comparison by Erechtheus, on Flickr

Bexley Corona, Lemon Meringue

TWSBI Diamond 530, Green

Lamy 2000

Levenger True Writer Metalist, Copper

Waterman Phileas, Red

Noodler's Pen, Vulcan's Coral

ETA: I guess this one isn't bad...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6181/6023346453_fd7d9b85af.jpg

IMG_2486 by Erechtheus, on Flickr

Bexley Corona, Lemon Meringue

TWSBI Diamond 530, Green

Edited by Jimmy James

I am posting this in two places because I mean it! :thumbup:

This well priced pen has jumped up near the top of my 'to buy list', but I would like to say that if Bexley put a Piston Filling Americana/Doric look-a-like on the market, I would buy one in each and every colour made, even if I had to sell my left leg!!! :notworthy1: Please!!! :roflmho:

Gobblecup ~

Thanks for the initial impressions, Tony. I have been curious about this model, and this thread has been very informative.

I have two examples of Bexley's Prometheus that I have had for several years. The piston mechanisms in those two pens have performed flawlessly over time. If the Corona's piston mechanism is anywhere near as good, it should be durable and pleasant to use for many years.

I have been buying Bexley pens almost as long as they have been in business, and I have their nibs in both gold and steel. All of those nibs are excellent quality and I have never had a problem with one. In the steel nibs, I prefer B or M. I have found that the nibs in those sizes write fairly true lines and are very smooth on paper. I will not hesitate to acquire more steel nibs.

Edited: RE: Bexley's Americana. I know what you mean, Gobblecup. I have three Americanas, two with gold nibs, one with a steel nib. Not only does that model look great, it feels wonderful in my hand - size, shape, weight, balance. And all three of mine write excellently. If Bexley did happen to make some Americanas with a piston filler, I would grab one, too. Or grab one or two. :P

Edited by FrankB