The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ferrari Da Varese Botticelli

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,024 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2011 - 13:35

So far we have looked at the Montegrappa 80th Anniversary and Privilege Deco, the Sheaffer Plain Polished Legacy and the Waterman Sterling Silver Gentleman and the Yard-o-Led Viceroy Grand Victorian and the Grand Barleycorn and a slim pen from Ferrari da Varese.

A post I made in that last review gave a hint about what was coming, a section from Botticelli's "Birth of Venus"

If you look at the picture it is a combination of sparkling colors and sensuous curving lines.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The company Ferrari da Varese is a second generation family business that owns manufacturing companies in both Germany and in Italy. The company is currently run by Ivan Ferrari, son of the founder, and their goal is to create fountain pens that are functional but also works of art, and the Birth of Venus was the inspiration for this one.

The base for most Ferrari da Varese pens is Sterling Silver and for their Botticelli model they combine several of the elements from the painting, sensuous curves, smooth form to reflect Venus and in this one, mother of pearl to reflect the shell she stands on.

The pen arrived in a pretty simple outer sleeve...

Posted Image

... that held a really well made inner box...

Posted Image

that opens to present the pen itself...

Posted Image

The cap and barrel are Sterling Silver and the pen body is surrounded by eight mother of pearl panels that have been turned so that the seams are undetectable.

Posted Image

The end is designed so that the cap can be screwed in place when posted...

Posted Image

... and the body absolutely shimmers and changes colors as the light hits it.

Posted Image

The details are carried through in the really big smooth nib; the sea shell motif is repeated in etching below the Ferrari da Varese triangle logo. One unique thing with this pen is that even the clip is made of Sterling Silver, a most unusual feature made possible by its shape and pressing.

Posted Image

This is a wonderful pen and one of my very favorite of my Ferrari da Varese pens, and fills using standard international size cartridges or converters.

In the US the Ferrari da Varese distributor is Franklin Christoph who is also a member here at FPN.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

Sponsored Content

#2 Tennessee Dave

Tennessee Dave

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2011 - 13:47

What a beauty that is! Thanks for sharing.:thumbup:
Dave

Thankful for being blessed with a genteel life and wonderful wife

#3 dannyt.33

dannyt.33

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:13

Pictures not working for me until I clicked the link, looks like a nice pen though :thumbup:

#4 dannyt.33

dannyt.33

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:13

Sorry there they go, was just in need of a page refresh :headsmack:

#5 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:47

Jar, I think you are unilaterally creating a market for sterling silver pens - these pens you have been reviewing have excited my interest in something I never expected I would like: metal pens with metal sections. But these pens are not just metal, they are art, that functions. Thank you so much for these great reviews. Now, I must save some money for another pen purchase!

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

#6 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,014 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:56

very nice pen :thumbup: had an opportunity to try this pen at mora and it is a stuner indeed
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#7 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,024 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:58

Jar, I think you are unilaterally creating a market for sterling silver pens - these pens you have been reviewing have excited my interest in something I never expected I would like: metal pens with metal sections. But these pens are not just metal, they are art, that functions. Thank you so much for these great reviews. Now, I must save some money for another pen purchase!

I'm glad you are enjoying them. Next I will look at a few that add some color to the equation.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

Sponsored Content

|