Pilot Vanishing Point Black With Gold Trim (Broad Nib)

Robinhood

Just a quick review of a Pilot Vanishing Point I recently bought:

Appearance & Design (10) I think the pen looks very interesting, I like the design, its something different. I really don't mind the clip, but I know some people hate it. Like others have said, it helps keeps your hand oriented in the correct position as you write.

Construction & Quality (8) The whole pen feels very solid. The only thing it has going against it is the cartridge converter which is pretty flimsy. The case it comes in looks cool, but the felt material on the inside ends up sticking to the barrel of the pen. It's easy to clean it off, but it detracts from the initial experience of opening the case.

Weight & Dimensions (7) I'm not a huge fan of the weight, after writing with it for a few days now I've noticed how much heavier it is compared to my Edison. This translates into more fatigue while writing. However, if you think "weight" equals "quality" this pen would fit the bill great.

Nib & Performance (6) I really wish I could give the nib a better score, but it has one major problem. The smoothness is wonderful, at least on par with my Edison if not better. However, the VP nib skips on upstrokes for me. Even after a thorough cleaning the problem still happens occasionally, I'm hoping it goes away the more I use it. The flow is a little wet, but I prefer that anyways. Overall I'm very happy with how it writes, slightly less broad than my Edison broad nib.

Filling System & Maintenance (6) The downside to the neat clicking mechanism is how little ink the pen holds. I had to refill after a handful of pages, my other pens can keep on writing for much longer, especially the Indian eyedropper I have. The cartridge converter also feels a little cheap compared to the other ones I've used before. I do like how you can buy whole inner nib assembly units though.

Cost & Value (10) Bought my pen from Oscar Braun so I got it for a song, very satisfied for the money I spent on the pen.

Conclusion (Almost an 8) I wanted a pen I could take places and not have to worry so much about loosing it like I would with my Edison. The Pilot Vanishing Point works perfectly for that. I get a very high quality pen that has a neat mechanism which allows me to take notes conveniently without having to worry about the pen drying out/messing with a cap. I think refilling cartridges is going to be the way to go though. The included cartridge converter doesn't hold enough ink to get through a day of notes. Once school starts again I'll really be able to put this pen through its paces and be a test it's writing abilities. Until then I really like using the pen and would highly recommend it.

post-72866-0-93713600-1312329910.jpg

post-72866-0-30325900-1312329939.jpg

Edited by Robinhood
1040-T.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robinhood

• Hohn

• watch_art

• Donald2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow. That's a REALLY good looking pen. The gold trim looks SOOO much prettier than the silver trim on mine.

Wow.

I was torn between gold and silver while browsing online, figured I'd try something daring and go for the gold. I was worried it might look gaudy, but it turned out to be quite the looker.

1040-T.jpg

You know, I think that works for me and I'm usually not one for gold trim. I've shied away from VPs because they look very "borrowable" - they don't look like anything too special so it's easy for a co-worker to snatch one to jot something down and forget to give it back - the gold trim might give one pause before they do that. Excellent!

For me, I feel that the weight is low enough when holding it that I don't get fatigued easily. (Maybe because I have big hands?) I know that the older I am getting, I am not posting caps because the balance just feels too high.

And I also have the silver trim, which I am happy with, but your photo makes the gold look nicer that the stock shots I have seen.

"We're out of cornflakes. F.U.' It took me three hours to figure out F.U. stood for Felix Unger!"

For me, I feel that the weight is low enough when holding it that I don't get fatigued easily. (Maybe because I have big hands?) I know that the older I am getting, I am not posting caps because the balance just feels too high.

And I also have the silver trim, which I am happy with, but your photo makes the gold look nicer that the stock shots I have seen.

I think because the other pens I use are light I was thrown off a little by the weight, I mean it's not a drastic difference, but it's noticeable.

Thanks, photography is my other hobby. I mainly use film, but for the quick shots every once in a while I have a DSLR :).

1040-T.jpg

I have that pen with a medium nib. It's a good all around pen--always with me in my briefcase.

How the pen and I can fit in the briefcase, I'll never know.

Edited by doodlebug

How the pen and I can fit in the briefcase, I'll never know.

:ltcapd:

I have to echo the comments about the gold trim. In the stock photos it looks a bit too "bling" for my liking, but it looks great in the photos above! Just when I had almost decided on the matte black... :)

I recently bought a VP from Pam also-- and also have the broad nib.

Oddly enough, it also skips sometimes. I think it is a case of baby bottom, as it's always the first letter in a word that seems to be the victim.

I'm thinking about getting it modded into an italic, since it needs work anyway.

Edited by Hohn

I recently bought a VP from Pam also-- and also have the broad nib.

Oddly enough, it also skips sometimes. I think it is a case of baby bottom, as it's always the first letter in a word that seems to be the victim.

I'm thinking about getting it modded into an italic, since it needs work anyway.

Yeah that was the same exact problem I was having, it hasn't happened for a while though so I have my fingers crossed that it is gone.

1040-T.jpg

I have to wonder if these pens don't break in a little and lose just enough baby bottom for the skip to go away.

Mine is improving with use.

JH

I have to wonder if these pens don't break in a little and lose just enough baby bottom for the skip to go away.

JH

That is what I was wondering too. Mine seems the same way, the more I use it the less I skipping I see.

Edited by Robinhood
1040-T.jpg

I also have a broad nib with the baby bottom problem. With use,it also seems to be improving. No problems with my Fine and Medium nibs.

JH

That is what I was wondering too. Mine seems the same way, the more I use it the less I skipping I see.

My Parker Vector does the same thing. It skips on the first letter of every word for some reason.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

• 3 months later...

I've been looking for a review of the broad nib on this pen. Can you guesstimate how broad this broad nib is? Like a Western Medium ? A truly broad round or a broad that's a bit stubbish!

I appreciate the answer - I'm about to bite the bullet and buy the red with gold trim but am on the fence about the nib. I like a stubbish broad - but not a true round braod.

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

The nib on my VP is bigger than I expected. It is larger than my Pelikan M215 Medium.

While the VP fine may be more like an EF from a Western brand, I suspect the VP Medium and Broads are much closer to their Western counterparts.

• 10 months later...

I'm thinking of buying one in matte black but I'm worried it might get scratched easily. I am only 15 and have been saving up for about a year and I don't want to have my investment destroyed because I'm to ruff and tumble. Anyone had any problems with the matte black finish?

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people in the process to make it worth your while!