The Classic Tripod Grip

troglokev

I let my bottom two fingers touch paper :huh: ...I use a 'forefinger up' method of grasping a fountain pen.

I think if one has the fingers all out together one could be tempted to do more finger writing. If the two little fingers are curled out of the way to the palm, it could help more arm writing. ???????????

Either way...can still do finger writing if one don't watch out.

Arm and shoulder is something I should do more of.

It's basically hold the pen further up the barrel; gives the pen better balance...one don't have the death grip or that 'kung fu' thumb pinch as shown on one of the pictures with the thumb pad flat to the barrel.

I was taught back in the '50s how to hold a fountain pen....the tripod. I of course had the death grip. Just telling some kid coming over from fly away pencils to hold a fountain pen lightly just don't work. That was 4th grade.....That could have been a whole hour....though memory says it was much less time.

In I believe 8th or 7th grade a teacher took some 15 minutes to walk around the class telling each and every one of us individually to hold the fountain pen lightly. A few she had hold a fountain pen like a fountain pen instead of a ball point.

It takes many a long time to make the tripod a light grip.....there you have two press down points. The thumb at 10:30 to higher pinched next to the bowed there for putting pressure on the pen forefinger...that sits closer to 02:00...so there is two points of a triangle pressing down....and add the Kung Fu Thumb pinch.....with lots of pressure.

Having taken the same 'grip' over to ball points were one needs even more pressure to plow the south forty with out the mule.....I like many ended up with a callus, or bump in the flesh at the middle finger nail junction. A nerve was pressed and hurt after years of abuse.

The key...whether you want to go to a light grip...of the Forefinger up, or stay with the death grip and kung fu thumb press....is to move the fountain pen some 1/3 of an inch down the middle finger's pad, so the pen no longer presses against the nail junction.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• troglokev

• Mickey

• Skyclad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been busy with so many other things, I haven't used my fountain pens much for awhile. However, I've set myself up to receive notifications on this topic, and now I'm getting sucked in again. I wonder why holding a pen correctly is so difficult for some of us? I continually struggle, although my penmanship has improved tremendously since I joined FPN!

I know it's not always convenient, but on some of the lengthy posts, I often wish there were accompanying photos. Your email intrigued me, Bo Bo, but not sure I'm understanding everything. Anyway, I do enjoy the commentary and suggestions from everyone!

One problem is pen balance.

If the pen is tail heavy, you have to grip the pen harder, to keep the nib down on the paper.

In may cases this is cause by a HEAVY cap. The heavy cap puts too much weight on the back end of the pen, and shifts the balance point of the pen. I usually write with these tail heavy pens unposted, as that gets the pen back to a more comfortable balance.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

One problem is pen balance.

If the pen is tail heavy, you have to grip the pen harder, to keep the nib down on the paper.

In may cases this is cause by a HEAVY cap. The heavy cap puts too much weight on the back end of the pen, and shifts the balance point of the pen. I usually write with these tail heavy pens unposted, as that gets the pen back to a more comfortable balance.

I totally agree! I leave the cap off on most of my pens.

Most folks today, have a majority of Large pens...which are too back heavy if posted. I no longer even try to post my heavy metal Large pens, like my Persona or Townsend.

My Waterman 52, Snorkel and Safari...can and are posted. The Safari is too short non posted for forefinger up....I ignore the two triangle indents, put my forefinger on the top space between the two indents....and my thumb is nowhere near an indent to start with....same with a US made P-75. The French version don't have that silly tripod grip.

The thumb is placed up the barrel of the pen....and depending on if you post or not....is even with the crease of your forefinger joint....or 1/3 in....Or if you want to hold the pen high or medium.

Standard and medium-large pens IMO must be posted to have balance..(they are too short IMO with out the cap...though there are respected posters here that somehow write with them unposted and don't complain....They like it that way. :unsure: )

There are very few metal standard or medium-large pens....in the total weight of the pen and cap make a big difference. Back in the Day, one wanted a light nimble write all day pen.

I have a rolled gold MB 742, a standard sized pen. It rests near to in the pit of my thumb, because of it's weight.

You can control where a pen rests....if you want, you can have a pen stay at 45 degrees...like some of my heavy Large pens un posted. One can be looser with the grip...perhaps that pen wants to 'rest' at 40 degrees at the start of the web of the thumb.

That is often where my posted plastic standard, medium-large pens want to rest.

Or if it is a real long pen or a heavy pen, why not let the pit of the thumb take up the weight. The times I post my Townsend or my Persona, that is where the pen rests.

As I mentioned somewhere....forcing a pen to stay at 45 degrees behind the big knuckle requires force....and that translates into pressure....leading to the Death Grip...and it's cousin the dreaded Kung Fu Thumb Pinch.

Thumb flat not pinched. B)

I have a metal barreled 215, that I can post because it has a light plastic cap.

One of the difficulties of the 'fore finger up' is un-posted Large pens are too small :lticaptd: ...and posted standard and medium-large pens are a great fit.

I'm sorry when my computer died on my a while back...half my pictures didn't survive, and pictures showing the the forefinger up, were among them along with most of my inkwells.

Tripod is the thumb at 10:30*-forefinger at 02:00* and pen rests on the middle finger pad edge at 18:00 (6 O'clock).....*up where they can press down. :angry:

Forefinger up is the flat thumb at 09:00...as a dam...no pressure...just something to rest the pen against. The forefinger rests as comfortable at 12:00, 12:30 or even 13:00 (one in the afternoon...civilian time) .....The Key is no pressure...the pen rests against the flat thumb...the forefinger 'rests' on top of the section.

Your non-bowed...fairly straight forefinger rests with only the same weight you'd use to stroke a baby featherless bird.

.............There is no reason to bend your forefinger middle knuckle up to a V....bowing the finger...it should rest close to the barrel...the meat of your middle joint can be touching or just barely not touching the barrel of the pen.

One can have a tad of a bend....a light, slight curve the whole of the forefinger...it should be comfortable, not a ridged didget. Not a whole lot of air between the finger and the barrel.

And move where you use to press the pen into the flesh of your middle finger nail joint....1/2 of an inch or 1cm towards the finger end...away from the nail joint....that's easiest. :P

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.