Are Canadian 51's That Rare?

Kaych

For those of you who frequent the classifieds are PenTrace, you probably know I'm on the hunt for a Canadian made 51 (with the Made in Canada imprint, NOT the T date code). However I'm having difficulty tracking one down. Are they that rare or is it that all the Canadians are hoarding them? :ltcapd:

I've also been offered a NOS Parker 51 with the Made in Canada imprint on the cap, but with a Made in USA imprint on the filler. Although its supposed to be NOS, I'm wondering if its possible that the cap was switched with the original. Does anyone know if Parker ever made the bodies in Canada but used American fillers? And if so, is this the best I'm going to find? As I said, Canadian 51's only appear once in a blue moon when you stand on one leg while rubbing your tummy, patting your head, and spinning like a top.

Edited by Kaych

DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kaych

• Scrawler

• Paul Raposo

• sumgaikid

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have one. the filler is made in usa, but the rest is canadian. i am sure it's 100% original, as my grandmother had it as a present when she retired in 1955, and it is still unrestored (and not working).

Edited by ticoun

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

That's what I thought as I've seen many mentions of the same combination here on FPN. You should try to get yours restored though! It sounds like a great heirloom.

I once owned a 1946 "51" that was India Black. Had the unusual feature

of having the blue diamond set higher up on the clip. It also had the im-

print "Made in Canada" on it. Is that the one you're looking for?

John

Edited by sumgaikid

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

Exactly what I'm looking for. I don't suppose you still have it (or who the current owner is)? They are nigh impossible to find and I'm willing to pay a premium.

Edited by Kaych

Exactly what I'm looking for. I don't suppose you still have it (or who the current owner is)? They are nigh impossible to find and I'm willing to pay a premium.

Just for you, stand on one leg and rub your tum. I have just looked through my small selection and I have a 1946 Q2 51 vac. Barrel marked Made in Canada - I know this sounds bizarre but I am under electric light and cannot be sure if the pen is black or blue at this moment, fine nib though not sure of its origin.

The cap is a Sterling silver 'made in Canada' OKay condition, although the clip has some noticeable brassing.

Drop me a PM if you want further details.

Also, I guess this would have met your requirements: ebay 220815045141

Edited by northlodge

For those of you who frequent the classifieds are PenTrace, you probably know I'm on the hunt for a Canadian made 51 (with the Made in Canada imprint, NOT the T date code). However I'm having difficulty tracking one down. Are they that rare or is it that all the Canadians are hoarding them? :ltcapd:

<snip>

Yes

<snip>

Yes

Don't make me come up to Ottawa!

<snip>

Yes

Don't make me come up to Ottawa!

If you went to Ottawa, you would not find me. Unless you came on Pen Posse day. However please do come and if you can find me I will show you some of the Canadian made Parkers and I will spill the beans about high level members of the government who also desire what you do.

I'm happy for you that you found a Canadian 51 on fleabay--hope you win it.

BTW,my Canadian 51 was partial payment on a sterling silver Eversharp Ventura

bought from Richard Binder.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

Hey Kaych.

I've got a Canadian 51 vacumatic, with the same type of high set diamond like sumgaikid talked about. The original barrel was a Made In Canada first quarter 1946, and the replacement barrel is also marked Made in Canada with a first quarter 1948 stamp.

Here's the link with pictures:

My 51 Vacumatic Back From Servicing

As far as double country markings, I picked up a 21 MK II recently with a Toronto marked filler, and a Made in USA cap. Either a Frankenpen, or it was meant to be like that. Not sure either way.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

What a coincidence, I was just looking at your thread! So maybe they aren't as rare as I expected, but they are still quite uncommon out in the Wild, at least relative to American and English made 51s.

As an aside, I didn't even know there was a Parker restorer here in Toronto. Maybe I'll check them out if I do win the one on eBay.

Keep in mind the relative population difference between Canada and the US. Assuming a basic production to meet domestic market needs, US production is going to be roughly 10x that of Canadian. That alone would suggest purely Canada sourced Parkers are less common than their US-sourced counterparts. On the other hand, Parker Canada probably had the capacity to build parts and components far beyond domestic demand needs that could easily be shipped to Janesville or possibly Newhaven to be matched with other parts to make a complete pen.

All in all, I would guess a wholly Canadian Parker from the era is not "rare", but certainly less common than what Janesville turned out in the period.

Edited by nxn96

What a coincidence, I was just looking at your thread! So maybe they aren't as rare as I expected, but they are still quite uncommon out in the Wild, at least relative to American and English made 51s.

As an aside, I didn't even know there was a Parker restorer here in Toronto. Maybe I'll check them out if I do win the one on eBay.

Yeah, I think finding a Canadian model is pretty haphazard. I didn't realize mine was a Canadian until I actually got it. I just assumed it was USA made.

I found David by accident. Really pleased with the work he did on my 51 vac. The great thing is, he gives you the option to drop off, and pick up, rather than ship, which is a money saver.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

Paul's Pens

Keep in mind the relative population difference between Canada and the US. Assuming a basic production to meet domestic market needs, US production is going to be roughly 10x that of Canadian. That alone would suggest purely Canada sourced Parkers are less common than their US-sourced counterparts.

I remember reading somewhere years ago that Sheaffer's were quite popular here in Canada, with Parker coming second. I don't recall the production, and sales figures, but Sheaffer's outsold Parker for at least a couple of decades, from the 30's through to the 50's. I think it was because Sheaffer really went after the Francophone market in Quebec, and because of that bilinguism in their sales, and marketing, they sold better in the rest of Canada, where French was still predominate over English. While out hunting for pens, I've found a lot more Canadian Sheaffer's, than I have Canadian Parkers.

Paul's Pens

I've also seen many Canadian Parker Vacumatics and Sheaffer PFMs.

Anyways, I've just noticed the one I found on eBay has quite a bit of brassing...I guess back to monitoring eBay and vintage pen sites!

I've also seen many Canadian Parker Vacumatics and Sheaffer PFMs.

Anyways, I've just noticed the one I found on eBay has quite a bit of brassing...I guess back to monitoring eBay and vintage pen sites!

There's a vacumatic listed on eBay Canada right now, marked Made In Canada:

VINTAGE PARKER 51 FOUNTAIN PEN - BLUE DIAMOND

Paul's Pens

Thanks for taking the time to look. That's the one I was looking at but there seems to be significant brassing around the top of the cap. :(

The worst part of it is, that's exactly what I'm looking for: the two tone clutch ring, vacumatic filler, gold filled cap, the colour, the origin. I know I couldn't be satisfied though with a less than near perfect specimen.

Edited by Kaych