London Writing Equipment Show 2007

twdpens

The London Writing equipment Show

The major UK writing equipment show is getting really close now, opening its doors on Sunday October 7th. 2007.

The show promises to be an exciting one with plenty to interest everyone. From fountain pens to calligraphy displays; repair workshops to book signings; Mauchlineware to Stamp boxes; Stanhopes to ephemera; historical plastics to street jewellery; seminars to photographic demonstrations, you certainly won’t be bored!

With a packed vintage dealing hall and a manufacturer’s foyer displaying the latest products from some of the world’s key suppliers of writing equipment you will have plenty to spend your money on!

For the latest news and views you can see our newsletter here www.lwesnewsletter.cathedralpens.co.uk

It would be a great help and would contribute greatly to the success of the show if you could forward this post onto any friends and family who have an interest in writing equipment and it would help even more if they could do the same.

Many thanks for reading this and I look forward to meeting some of you at the show.

Regards

Ian

Ian P Williamson

Marketing coordinator The London Writing Equipment Show 2007

www.lwes.org.uk

Trade Liaison Officer - The Writing Equipment Society

www.wesonline.co.uk

www.cathedralpens.co.uk

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• twdpens

• andyk

• Col

• eckiethump

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably too randoma question to answer but..........

What it the chance of me being able to buy any Nakaya at the show? And from whom?

Andy

I have an original Nakaya FP (black & Gold) with a Fine nib, & i'll be going to the show. I got it just before I had one made for me, so it's been sitting in it's box ever since. I'll try to get you some pics if you're interested.

let me know

Bren

Andy

I have an original Nakaya FP (black & Gold) with a Fine nib, & i'll be going to the show. I got it just before I had one made for me, so it's been sitting in it's box ever since. I'll try to get you some pics if you're interested.

let me know

Bren

PM Sent

Looks like this will be a good show and a few members are going, I am hoping to get there, my first pen show quite exciting really almost like my first Led Zep/Stones/Who gig (OK I exaggerate, not quite that exciting but looking forward to it anyway).

May see some of you there although apart from some of the exhibitors we probably won't know we met.

Andy

May see some of you there although apart from some of the exhibitors we probably won't know we met.

That's why FPN should start producing and selling 'pen show' badges, with the logo and a space for a number. You are number 6...

Col

That's why FPN should start producing and selling 'pen show' badges, with the logo and a space for a number. You are number 6...

It might be an idea to set up an FPN members meeting area at the show with chairs and tables; maybe a message board. If this is of interest let me know and I can approach the rest of the show organising team to see if it can be arranged. Things are really hotting up now, we've had to increase the number of dealer tables to meet the demand and we only have four of those left! The manufacturers area in the foyer is rapidly filling up and we now have Conway Stewart, Waldmann Pens, Pilot/Namiki, Lincoln Pen, Mackinnon Pens, Retro 51, Coles Pens (distributors for Monteverde, Laban, Yoropen, Usus and their own very excellent range), Suchak & Suchak and GBA (distributors for Visconti, Tibaldi, Aurora, Delta and many others).

Geoff Parker will be our guest of honour and will be available for informal chats ( I wonder if he would agree to a chat with all FPN members at some point in the day - again if enough people are interested I can ask the question.

Anyway please let me know what you want me to do, if anything, on your behalf.

I'm looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible at the show.

Ian

LWES Organising Team

Trade Liaison Officer - The Writing Equipment Society

www.lwes.org.uk

www.lwesnewsletter.cathedralpens.co.uk

www.wesonline.org.uk

www.cathedralpens.co.uk

It might be an idea to set up an FPN members meeting area at the show with chairs and tables; maybe a message board. If this is of interest let me know and I can approach the rest of the show organising team to see if it can be arranged.

Geoff Parker will be our guest of honour and will be available for informal chats ( I wonder if he would agree to a chat with all FPN members at some point in the day - again if enough people are interested I can ask the question.

Ian

Ian,

First thank you and the other members of WES for their hard work and efforts to bring this show back. I for would like to put forth an interest in both ideas, an FPN and WES members meeting area, and a chat with Mr. Parker. That would be interesting.

Cheers,

PP

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

Ian,

Me too, still not absolutely sure I can make it, just juggling some things but hoping to put in an appearance and would be nice to put some faces to names. Thanks for the offer.

Andy

Edited by andyk

• 4 weeks later...

Oh well, having missed out on the Led Zep reunion (I doubt they will be as good as when I've seen them before, so will leave the tickets for those that won't know any better), looks like the Pen show will have to be my consolation prize, now about 75% certain to be going now but still a few things to sort out.

Hope to see some members there.

Andy

Ian,

Me too, still not absolutely sure I can make it, just juggling some things but hoping to put in an appearance and would be nice to put some faces to names. Thanks for the offer.

Andy

Hi All,

Nearly there now! Having been heavily involved as one of the WES organising team for the show I'm only now putting my stuff together for the show!

A meeting point has been set up for FPN and other online groups. You will find it in the trade foyer opposite the entrance into the vintage trading hall. You will find pads of 'Post It' type notes on the shelf and hopefully some pens, the idea being when you arrive simply write your name on a post it note and stick it to the wall of the meeting area that way new arrivals can check which of us is around - simple, but it should work!

You can find the latest newsletter here www.lwesnewsletter.cathedralpens.co.uk it includes a useful (I hope!) show guide which has floor plans so you can find your way around easily. You'll find me (Cathedral Pens) on tables 19 & 20, you'll find Martin on table 59.

Looking forward to meeting you all on Sunday.

Ian

[waving madly] Hi Ian!!

See you on Sunday - only two days to go! Yippee!!

A meeting point has been set up for FPN and other online groups. You will find it in the trade foyer opposite the entrance into the vintage trading hall. You will find pads of 'Post It' type notes on the shelf and hopefully some pens, the idea being when you arrive simply write your name on a post it note and stick it to the wall of the meeting area that way new arrivals can check which of us is around - simple, but it should work!

Ian

This is a great idea!

"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Cunning plans are here again'"

Twitter: @CasmiUK

Hi all,

Been in London since friday, looking forward, to tomorrow, hopefully, I will get a chance to say hello to some of you.

All the best,

Eric

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

Got back from the show a couple of hours ago, firstly thanks to all those who organised it almost felt as if I had died and gone to pen heaven.

Had hoped to say Hi to Laurence Oldfield (Penpractice) and Francis (fountainbel) both of whom have repaired pens for me, but whenever I wandered in their direction they seemed deeply involved with customers and felt rude to interrupt.

In some ways far too much choice (yes there can be such a thing), I had gone with two priorities to get myself a Tortoise pencil to make up my Pelikan M400 trio, succeeded here with one of the European sellers, who had a nice selection of Pelikans mainly vintage. Thought long and hard about buying one of the Tortoise 400NNs he had but resisted and he also had some Pelikan 100s (seemed smaller than I thought they would be) but again resisted didn't even ask the price, so hopefully they were very expensive.

Prority two was a full size L/F Sheaffer Balance preferably striated, also succeeded there, also picked up pencil to match a L/F Junior Balance I have plus a black L/F Junior Balance from an oddments box.

Had hoped to trade/part exchange a couple of pens, but (boohoo) the couple of pens I saw that I was interested in trading on the dealers didn't want to play ball and I didn't really want to part with all cash for the pens I wanted although prices weren't bad (well I suppose they need to maintain cashflow), so came home with my trade pens intact (closest I have come to getting rid of any, not sure if I have the heart to hit ebay).

If I have any criticism it is that things were a bit crowded, the aisles needed to be a bit wider as it was a bit cramped and sometimes difficult to look at things as people tried to get past and some stalls seemed permanently busy, still I suppose it shows that it was a popular event. There were a couple of sellers I had intended to go back to but didn't get a chance as they were still pretty crowded, so ended up leaving without getting either a spare fine or italic nib for my Duofold Internationals.

Got some ink a couple of bottles from The Writing Desk stand, got a chance to say Hi to Martin (twdpens) and Col who was trying out some inks, also got a replacement bottle of Diamine Indigo (one of the inks I used most).

Overall a good day, lots of great pens to look at although I often found myself thinking 'do I really need another one of those'? hence no more Pelikans/Vacs/51s/61s or even some of the modern CSs that some sellers had for very good prices. Regretting not asking the price of the Pelikan 100s (at least then I would know) or not buying a Tortoise 400NN, but hey hopefully there is alway next year.

Thanks again to all those involved in organising the show, hopefully will now be a regular date, already saving my pennies for next year.

Andy

In some ways far too much choice (yes there can be such a thing), I had gone with two priorities to get myself a Tortoise pencil to make up my Pelikan M400 trio, succeeded here with one of the European sellers, who had a nice selection of Pelikans mainly vintage. Thought long and hard about buying one of the Tortoise 400NNs he had but resisted

I wandered back to look at those more than once, too. Which one caught your eye - the paler-coloured one? I thought that stood out, but was not so happy with the nib. He did offer to swap it for any of the other 400NN nibs, but in the the end I resisted as well.

Regretting not asking the price of the Pelikan 100s (at least then I would know) or not buying a Tortoise 400NN, but hey hopefully there is alway next year.

Well, the 400NNs were (as you probably know) £75 for the tortoises, £50 each for the green striated selections; actually not too bad considering some of the inflated prices on some of the other tables. Those German guys have been regulars at the show, so I'm sure you'll have another opportunity next year.

Col

In some ways far too much choice (yes there can be such a thing), I had gone with two priorities to get myself a Tortoise pencil to make up my Pelikan M400 trio, succeeded here with one of the European sellers, who had a nice selection of Pelikans mainly vintage. Thought long and hard about buying one of the Tortoise 400NNs he had but resisted

I wandered back to look at those more than once, too. Which one caught your eye - the paler-coloured one? I thought that stood out, but was not so happy with the nib. He did offer to swap it for any of the other 400NN nibs, but in the the end I resisted as well.

Regretting not asking the price of the Pelikan 100s (at least then I would know) or not buying a Tortoise 400NN, but hey hopefully there is alway next year.

Well, the 400NNs were (as you probably know) £75 for the tortoises, £50 each for the green striated selections; actually not too bad considering some of the inflated prices on some of the other tables. Those German guys have been regulars at the show, so I'm sure you'll have another opportunity next year.

Col,

Yes it was the paler one, the set I have is the darker colour and I wanted something different, price was good but I am trying to resist duplicating too much. Prices for the green ones were pretty good as well, but I have an M400, old style 600 and a 140 in green so if I were to buy another it would be a Tortoise, I will probably resist another 400 for now and get myself a 100 at some point.

Aside from the Pelikans there were also some great looking Vacs on Sarj's tables as well as some great Sheaffers, but prices reflected the quality and were on the high side for me £150-200 or more, although his prices on Balance IIs were quite reasonable. There was also a table with some nicely priced vintage CSs, but I couldnt really get close enough to have a good look.

I will certainly be there next year, will have to find something for my poor wife to do though as she was a bit bored and didn't really like the crowds strangely she didn't take me up on the offer to hit the shops with the credit card while I browsed.

Did you buy anything interesting?

Andy

Edited by andyk

Bought a very nice Visofil from the very pleasant gentleman who was doing the repairs near the entrance.

Got various bits and bobs to complete pens I have.

Was insulted by the attitude of of some woman stall holder, who was selling pens as restored, when from what I saw, they patently had not been. Come on, I expect as a minimum a restored pen to be clean.

Generally a mixed day, which on reflection was enjoyable, I did expect the London show to be bigger though, and some of the prurveyors of pens, to be more knowledgable on their wares.

The day was made for me by meeting Fountaibelle(sp), an absolute joy, whose love for pens and enjoyment of them, is very obvious.

et

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/