Akkerman's Bekakt Haags

spiv

OK - when using the online translator, drop the "be-" prefix and the "-t" suffix, and just translate the root word, consisting of the remaining 3 letters. The relation to underwear will immediately be in perspective :roflmho:

"Posh" in this sense lashes at snobbishness in a humorous way, someone being full of ----.

I am surprised that it is necessary. Ca Ca is a well known term in English.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scrawler

• spiv

• rockspyder

• Gobblecup

OK - when using the online translator, drop the "be-" prefix and the "-t" suffix, and just translate the root word, consisting of the remaining 3 letters. The relation to underwear will immediately be in perspective :roflmho:

"Posh" in this sense lashes at snobbishness in a humorous way, someone being full of ----.

Perhaps post #5 was too subtle... :unsure:

In fact let me labour this just a little so that it is absolutely clear.

Think of the word "jewel".

If someone is covered in jewels they are said to be "bejeweled".

The "be" in Nederlandse is exactly the same as the "be" in English. The -t suffix is exactly the same as -ed in English. In this sense "be" could also be thought of as "smeared".

Bearing in mind that Dutch is a very concrete language and that the English word khaki and the children's word "ca-ca" both come the same Dutch word I think that you will now have a complete understanding of the name of this ink.

Perhaps post #5 was too subtle... :unsure:

It could refer to a massive squat in the Hague.

Scrawler FTW!

...I hope you are flushed with pride.

Scrawler FTW!

...I hope you are flushed with pride.

It was a big dump.

Edited by Scrawler

Off topic note (as in not discussing Ca Ca! :roflmho:); This ink could probably take a bit of dilution, perhaps you could try a very small batch and see if it helps dry time without effecting the flow and contrast too much. If it does take well to dilution... well as if 150ml wasn't enough ink! :headsmack: :bunny01: :thumbup:

Gobblecup ~

What would you recommend in the way of a dilution to start with? I've not attempted that before. I do love the saturation, but if it shades better diluted, you may be onto something. I have a jug of distilled water awaiting your reply.

(thank you for ignoring the "theme")

What would you recommend in the way of a dilution to start with? I've not attempted that before. I do love the saturation, but if it shades better diluted, you may be onto something. I have a jug of distilled water awaiting your reply.

(thank you for ignoring the "theme")

I would take a small 'sample vial' or bottle, first drop in maybe 2ml of ink, then mix in 1ml of water (maybe even less for your first attempt, like a 1/2ml of water) and then test it out to see how you like it. It is always kind of an experiment, so don't be afraid to try different mixtures until you find the best dilution. If this ink is well saturated it should take to dilution well. By the way, a good syringe is almost essential if you want to be precise in duplicating a good dilution mix.

I hope I was of help, let us know how it goes! :thumbup:

Gobblecup ~

Let us begin

First you will have to take my word for it that full strength and the first dilution were indistinguishable to me, so to save space I'm skipping the "control", not very scientific.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6139/6003181321_06fa8a772a_o.jpg

ink test bekakt haags001 by itspiv, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6143/6003181555_5019b62633_o.jpg

ink test bekakt haags003 by itspiv, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6001/6003181801_ba8ec579d0_o.jpg

ink test bekakt haags005 by itspiv, on Flickr

the weaker the ink, the more it dumped out at the end of the line... so it always takes about 20 seconds to dry in dilution, more at full strength HOWEVER the non-shaded part of the line does dry quicker

and a close-up, same order as above

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6123/6003181359_cdfbae62db_o.jpg

ink test bekakt haags002 by itspiv, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6144/6003727610_fc8c0bc30d_o.jpg

ink test bekakt haags004 by itspiv, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6014/6003181881_773f0649d5_o.jpg

ink test bekakt haags006 by itspiv, on Flickr

and paper towel chromatography

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6025/6003741190_bda052247a_o.jpg

ink test bekakt haags007 by itspiv, on Flickr

Interesting post, I think the paper towel test was especially cool! :thumbup: Strange separation of dyes. :)

Do you think you will continue using any of these dilutions? Which behaved best for you?

Gobblecup ~

"behave" is a term I'm just coming to know from my time here. There are no real issues with this ink. It hasn't caused any clogging, there are no start up problems, it cleans out rather well and quickly and it seems neither dry nor lubricating. Seeing as it seems to shade best at full strength and dry time isn't improved until a drastic dilution, I'm likely to use it undiluted... Though now that I know what it looks like when it's 66% water, I might use that as an alternative to sepia if I want an aged look.

Thanks for suggesting that.

Edit to add... I will not be all that worried if there is a little water in the converter now. Thanks for that too.

Edited by spiv

"behave" is a term I'm just coming to know from my time here. There are no real issues with this ink. It hasn't caused any clogging, there are no start up problems, it cleans out rather well and quickly and it seems neither dry nor lubricating. Seeing as it seems to shade best at full strength and dry time isn't improved until a drastic dilution, I'm likely to use it undiluted... Though now that I know what it looks like when it's 66% water, I might use that as an alternative to sepia if I want an aged look.

Thanks for suggesting that.

Edit to add... I will not be all that worried if there is a little water in the converter now. Thanks for that too.

I have found that some Noodlers inks benefit from a 25% dilution and do it as a matter of course with such things as Navajo, but I agree that Akkerman inks are best used unadulterated for shading. Of course I have not tried all 30, and probably will not, but looking at the result of 6 or 7 of them, plus this and other reviews here on FPN, I would think they are best used as supplied, if colour and shading are your prime concern.

Ja, presies! :thumbup:

I have a Hemingway inked with this, beautiful.

Dus is jy bekakt :)

:roflmho:

Bekakt Haags, Kouwe kak (cold ca-ca) all relates to the times (Lodewijk the 14th) when posh people couls afford themselves a "kakstoel" (a chair with a potty underneath to be cleaned by housestaff) The common people had to use public toilets wich were no more than a whole through a board in a shed dangeling above a canal or a river or worse... If you pretended to be rich, you pretended to have a kak-stoel in your house instead of using public fascilities. So, wannabees in Den Haag are called "bekakt" also refering to something smelly and unwanted, ....disposable.

Den Haag was/ is well known since ever... for it's "wannabee" rich people. So, Bekakt Haags relates to a posh way of speaking Dutch but with a terrible accent. And yes, this all relates to pooh. I love the n ames on the bottles because they all are a referance to something typically Haags ("from The Haque")Somebody at Akkermans had a great mind!

" Go with the inkflow, my friend "

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Is there some translation of the color names somewhere?

I may certainly hope not. It'd be like completing/ruining a joke by adding the explanation

(you can always PM me for a specific translation)

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

:thumbup:

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi