Montblanc Bespoke Nibs

Michael R.

Ugh! Sounds like NYC boutique’s sole means of justifying its existence. I can buy a nice WE for what it costs me to travel to and stay there.

I agree! It's crazy. I think someone in management in Germany does not understand the size of the USA. It's not like just driving from one part of Germany to another.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Michael R.

• Ghost Plane

• jagwap

Really bizarre to have such a personalized service then only offer it in one city. I'm visiting Houston for work and thought about dropping by the MB boutique but decided against it. Fortunately I took the time to visit Dromgoole's and it was well worth the trip. They even had a nice collection of MB (new and vintage) to gawk over.

Really bizarre to have such a personalized service then only offer it in one city. I'm visiting Houston for work and thought about dropping by the MB boutique but decided against it. Fortunately I took the time to visit Dromgoole's and it was well worth the trip. They even had a nice collection of MB (new and vintage) to gawk over.

~ Henry Ford on Model T Fords: “A customer can have a car painted any color he wants as long as it’s black.”

Montblanc USA on Bespoke Nib Service: “A customer can ask for a Bespoke Nib in any American boutique they want as long as it's New York City Madison Avenue.”

Tom K.

Finest bad publicity money (their payroll) can buy.

Add the incompetent at MBNA with no response from corporate to complaints and it almost sounds like a regional manager looking for an excuse to pull out of a market.

~ Henry Ford on Model T Fords: “A customer can have a car painted any color he wants as long as it’s black.”

Montblanc USA on Bespoke Nib Service: “A customer can ask for a Bespoke Nib in any American boutique they want as long as it's New York City Madison Avenue.”

Tom K.

Originally the Model T was available in Blue, grey, green, and red

Black came 5 years later.

It could be compared to "you can have Montblanc pens in any colour you like, as long as they are black", as we know the early Noir & Rouge were ebonite, which is not exactly black, and there are plenty of other colours.

Edited by jagwap

Originally the Model T was available in Blue, grey, green, and red

Black came 5 years later.

~ jagwap:

Thank you for the correction.

The quote I posted is from “My Life and Work” (1922) by Henry Ford.

Thanks to your expertise, I now know that black was an afterthought for Model Ts.

Maybe someday the Bespoke Nib computerized writing test and tester pens might be available in more U.S. boutiques than NYC Madison Avenue.

Again, many thanks!

Tom K.

• 7 months later...

I popped into one of the montblanc shops in London and just out of curiosity asked about a right foot oblique (what they call a left oblique, according to them) since I’m a lefty. They said it cost £1200 on top of the regular price of the 149 and takes about 6 weeks to get.

Thanks Beast786. Did they mention if they can add a bespoke nip to a 149 you already own?

I agree! It's crazy. I think someone in management in Germany does not understand the size of the USA. It's not like just driving from one part of Germany to another.

You mean like Hamburg to Passau?

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

I popped into one of the montblanc shops in London and just out of curiosity asked about a right foot oblique (what they call a left oblique, according to them) since I’m a lefty. They said it cost £1200 on top of the regular price of the 149 and takes about 6 weeks to get.

Holy cow!

Thank a Veteran.

Yes they will.

But if I send in my early 1960s 149 with 14C F nib (or M), will they return everything on a new 149 chassis?

Thank a Veteran.

Thanks Beast786. Did they mention if they can add a bespoke nip to a 149 you already own?

I actually didnt think to ask that because I didnt have a pen at the time. Sorry tpsfp. Id be surprised if they wouldnt tbh, doesnt make business sense. Plus I know they swap nibs for their regular nibs so swapping for a bespoke seems reasonable

But if I send in my early 1960s 149 with 14C F nib (or M), will they return everything on a new 149 chassis?

Cant imagine that youd want them to send everything on a new body since the 60s models are extra special arent they? ;)

Cant imagine that youd want them to send everything on a new body since the 60s models are extra special arent they? ;)

• 4 years later...

~ In Autumn, 2022 there may be a shift in how Montblanc's Bespoke Nib Program is conducted.

Montblanc boutiques will be supplied with reconfigured boxes of test pens which will likely include a range of Bespoke nibs not presently offered.

The change will allow customers to test less commonly seen nib variations which might then be ordered through the Bespoke Nib Program.

Yours truly is considering one such variation, although I don't live in a community with a Montblanc boutique.

Tom K.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 7:42 AM, Tom Kellie said:

~ In Autumn, 2022 there may be a shift in how Montblanc's Bespoke Nib Program is conducted.

Montblanc boutiques will be supplied with reconfigured boxes of test pens which will likely include a range of Bespoke nibs not presently offered.

The change will allow customers to test less commonly seen nib variations which might then be ordered through the Bespoke Nib Program.

Yours truly is considering one such variation, although I don't live in a community with a Montblanc boutique.

Tom K.

Recently, the manager of one of my local boutiques here in Las Vegas told me that I could order a bespoke nib through them. The last time I asked was several years ago and they told my that I would have to travel to New York City and the Madison Avenue Boutique. I understand that there are about 30 different basic nibs with many variations. Are you aware of any list of the nibs available?

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I have a bespoke signature nib on order and the nib specifications were designed in a video conference with Germany at my local boutique in San Francisco.

This is probably an interim measure until the new system mentioned in an earlier post comes online as I believe it would be too overwhelming for one person to conduct these video conferences.

If you are in the USA the pen will need to make its way from the boutique to Germany through MJR. Hopefully the issues I have encountered during this process have been fixed.