Kwaweco Sport

futurebird

post-73623-0-10488200-1311721348.jpg

I bout two Kwaweco Sport pens for "jetpens.com" they came very quickly. They were each in a little black carboard box, making these the first pens that came in boxes I've ever used. What am I used to? Well this:

post-73623-0-69314200-1311721510.jpg

The Pilot Precise V5 Stick Rolling Ball Pen Micro Point 0.5 mm is a favorite among many of my friends, it's wet, and the black really stands out without being sloppy. Now as much as I love these to death, I have to say, there are many things superior about the Kwaweco Sport. The V5 can have some bleed and feather issues, and there is no way to get an ultra fine line but turning the pen upside down. These along with the environmental impact of not throwing so many plastic pens away made me want to move to a FP. The Kwaweco Sport, came to the top of the heap in my research so I bought TWO!

Why is it good? Well, First of all when it's going smoothly it's much smoother than the V5. Now I'm new to fountain pens so I had some issues at first. I think there was a large air bubble in my cartridge since it wrote very smoothly at first ...then started to skip. I replaced it and it started working again, no trouble since. I also found out that some papers I have are *too smooth* for the pen. For example the Quattero pads:

http://www.londongraphics.co.uk/acatalog/Quattro_Notebook_Pads.html

which have very thick paper that works perfectly with the V5 are hell to write on with the Kwaweco Sport. I thought they would be good FP papers since they are quite thick, smooth, yet with a little tug, but it seems it's not quite enough tug to get the ink out of the Kwaweco Sport. I'm impressed with the compact size of these pens when closed, they fit my hands perfectly. I do wish they weighed a bit more, but I suppose I'd need to spend more for that (or fill them with lead pellets? hmmmm...)

post-73623-0-76460600-1311721372.jpg

In any case once I had the right paper I was very happy. My writing has never looked better. I did a tutoring session and wrote on white copier paper as in my custom with my students clustered around. One said "everything looks so bright and neat! you make it seem easy!"

Bold crisp lines *do* make mathematics easier!

So, these are keepers and will act as my daily pens from here on out. Next I want to try some new inks. I do not know if I can change the nibs on the KS, but if possible, I may want to play with that as well. I think FP are going to work just fine for me. I'll bid a (fond) farewell to the V5 (except on my quattero pads!)

Edited by futurebird

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KrazyIvan

• futurebird

• Yuki Onitsura

• Uncle Red

I'm so glad you're happy with your new fountain pens!!! Get going on the ink exploration... that's the REALLY fun part!!! :thumbup:

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Nice little review of a nice little pen ^^ It's a shame bold crisp lines don't make English any easier. Me writing with fountain pens just seems to distract my students!

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Thank you for the review. I know I have been enjoying mine. Trying to use up the ink in the ISC so I can refill it with some Diamine or PR. I am not liking the Kaweco Lagoon Blue ink in the cart that came with it. It is way to purple.

Thank you for the review. I know I have been enjoying mine. Trying to use up the ink in the ISC so I can refill it with some Diamine or PR. I am not liking the Kaweco Lagoon Blue ink in the cart that came with it. It is way to purple.

What are Diamine or PR?

What are Diamine or PR?

Diamine is a brand of ink. PR is also a brand. Short for Private Reserve. :)

Got my Kaweco Sport Black Chess in the mail last week. Puts down a delightful line, very impressed with the nib, especially for the pittance that the pen cost me.

So I guess there are no converters that'll fit this pen. Right?

Jan

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Travel Sketchbooking

Observe Closely

I have read that a Montegrappa or Monteverde converter (i forget what its called) may work but it seems more people are successful at doing the eyedropper conversion. I can live with washing/refilling cartridges.

Edited by KrazyIvan

Thanks for a good review. With the Carolina heat this summer I've been wearing polo shirts on casual days in the office, with one of my "daily driver" fountain pens (TWSBI 530, Lamy Studio or Safari) tucked into the button placket over my chest. It works, but not so much a fashion statement (not to mention uncomfortable, and right in the way of the car seat belt). I've been looking at the Kaweco Sport and the Stipula Passaporto as potential "pocket pens" for such days.

As an engineering student (back in the '70's) I used to take notes like yours with a Koh-i-noor rapidograph (00 tip) to get similar crispness and sharp definition. (This was a drafting pen in the pre-computer-aided design days that used a capillary tube similar in appearance to your Pilot Precise roller, instead of a nib, to draw ink from the reservoir to the paper) Agree with you, there's something crisp and sharp about using liquid ink that's different from any pencil or rolling ball experience.

Thanks again for sharing your impressions, and I wish you well.

...jumps over the lazy dog.

The brand is Kaweco. Not Kwaweco. :headsmack:

Vintage Kaweco Sport pens are better. They are the gold nib and are not expensive. I recommend them. :thumbup:

This is a nice pen! I like this because it is a good alternative to Lamy. Only problem is the lack of cartridges!

Lamy pens are too popular, and this offers a really stylish option for all of us!

Ohh nice!

I saw my colleague using this the other day and tried it myself. Fantastic nib, I must say, and very fun to use! Congrats and enjoy! :thumbup:

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

This is a nice pen! I like this because it is a good alternative to Lamy. Only problem is the lack of cartridges!

Lamy pens are too popular, and this offers a really stylish option for all of us!

The carts are standard international short versions, should be fairly easy to get.

Gouletpens has the Classic and Ice Sports in Fine and Extra Fine nibs. If you're looking for thinner line and nibs. Mine were shipped out today, so I can't comment on the line thickness yet. I, too, used a Rapidiograph Tech Pen back in the 70's post College. Certainly dates us doesn't it. I have turned my Medium Kaweco RB's and FP's into ED pens. 2 rubber O rings and a bit of silicon grease, both available at goulet pens. No affiliation just a satisfied customer. That works great. Would save you using cartridges, refilling cartridges or a converter. They hold a ton of ink, IIRC it's just short of 2 mls. Would give the pen a bit of weight too, as would a slip on clip. HOD Noodlers in FP and BSB Noodlers in RB. Jim

I received my Kaweco Sport F yesterday and looking forward to using it. I have ordered a small converter, so I hope it fits ok. Great size pen and easily fits into the pocket.