• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RayCornett

• Paul80

• Pen Nut

• TorontoMontBlancGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As it should be with the price of them ;)

60 Euro's was a bit too much for me, that why I went for the £12 version, especially as I only needed to remove the pistons for maintenance and hopefully not need to get the nob out, although the one on my 149 just unscrews without the need for any tools, which must indicate its been out before.

Paul

You have to be quick he only lists one every couple of weeks or so. You have to check every day to catch the one he has.

Paul

Not got the fountainbel tool - he was out of stock, when I needed it.

But, from what I've seen on this forum, I'd say it's well worth the money. Top quality and will last a lifetime.

But back to the OP - this is about the cheapest tool for the job. Cost-wise, a paper-clip is hard to beat.

My offering is an old kitchen fork, ends bent and filed down. Did the job, if a bit crude!

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af351/shoulderhead/146fork_zpsf98a5389.jpg

Thanks

But, from what I've seen on this forum, I'd say it's well worth the money. Top quality and will last a lifetime.

But back to the OP - this is about the cheapest tool for the job. Cost-wise, a paper-clip is hard to beat.

My offering is an old kitchen fork, ends bent and filed down. Did the job, if a bit crude!

Thanks

COOL

Thanks

Are the pointed up ones are for putting it back together. :bunny01:

My Website

These improvised tools are great until they slip, what price then when you have gouged a piece of 'precious resin' out of the side of your pen ?

Take the best tools you can and use them correctly is my route. Do like the way the engineered tools allow the filler knob to sit on the tool to keep it in place.

It is a learning curve which, hopefully, does not have too many expensive errors along the way.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Are the pointed up ones are for putting it back together. :bunny01:

Ha ha! Yeah. For the coaxing stage.

Pen Nut is right, too. These aren't serious tools.

Mine worked fine to remove a trashed feeder sleeve.

But I didn't use it on the shiny NOS replacement part.

Get the right tools for the job.

But a paper-clip in a tight corner could be your best friend, one day!

Enjoy!

• 5 years later...

I tried the paperclip. I used one of the bigger more sturdy paper clips and filed down the tip so it would fit into the notches. While it was perfect for removing the nib unit, the piston is too tight. The paperclip would bend and actually slipped out a couple of times scratching the surface of the ring next to the notches(not the outside of it, luckily). I guess I'll need to invest in one of the actual tools.

Is photobucket back, now?

Yikes, I remember that fork! Despite its gruesome appearance, it worked well!

This was a fun thread. It's always great to see how people improvise - and it can be useful in a pinch.

But, the concensus always comes back to getting the proper tools for the job.

More expensive, of course, but a worthwhile investment.

Enjoy!

Inspired by another FPN member on one of these posts, I just bought these circlip pliers for the job. I hope it allows me to work with different pen sizes - I cant buy different tools for every pen :( https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Heavy-Duty-Internal-Bent-Retaining-Ring-C-Clip-Circlip-Removal-Install-Pliers/401439961933?hash=item5d77afb34d:g:XGMAAOSwBt5ZJklA

Ill report back after use

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Inspired by another FPN member on one of these posts, I just bought these circlip pliers for the job. I hope it allows me to work with different pen sizes - I cant buy different tools for every pen :( https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Heavy-Duty-Internal-Bent-Retaining-Ring-C-Clip-Circlip-Removal-Install-Pliers/401439961933?hash=item5d77afb34d:g:XGMAAOSwBt5ZJklA

Ill report back after use

Isn't the bend a bit big to fit in between the blind cap and barrel?

Thanks

Just bought to cheap but sturdy forks last night. Pretty sure the tips of the fork tines are small enough already as to not need to be ground down to fit.

Im looking at this for the nib.

In that case it'll be fine. Some of the pen pros use something similar and I will be getting a pair although a properly bent paperclip worked this first time.

Edited by RayCornett