Celevipens.com

jimhughes

About 3 weeks ago, a friend of mine in the New Mexico Pen Collectors Club, sent me a link to a newly discovered artist in Winnipeg, Canada. I have suitably chastised DougC in public and private for this. Doug knows I'm a vintage, small , short , flattop kind of Vintage pen guy. He was aware I'd just ordered a Edison-Shinn Urishi Pearl pen. My pen budget is a bit weaker than some of the other members in NMPCC. I went back to the

celevipens.com/wordpress site multiple times over several days. Finally I gathered the courage to discuss cost and options with him. What if I supplied the nib, what customizations are possible. Cameron's response were as quick, courteous and as helpful as we've come to find Brian Grey and Brian Goulet are. Before I knew it the quarterly IRS payment was short and a Paypal was going out to Cameron. Within 2 weeks or less Cameron completed my pen. Multiple daily reports came on the status of the pens completion. It was tested with Private Reserve Electric DC Blue ink, let set for several days and rechecked for immediate function and usage. Friday the 15th of July the Nox 2 exited Canada via UPS. It was delivered Thursday 21, July to New Mexico. First off I'll apologize for no pictures. I will ask Cameron to supply those for me. It seems in my net stupidity I am in arrears on my upload account. About 6-9 mos ago I reviewed 2 sets of notebooks with multiple photos. That used up my photo allocation and now when I try to up load I get "You're over your limit" notice. My pen is pictured on the Pen Turning sub forum under New Bronze and Ebonite Pen thread.

Impression: The pen arrived in a hermetically sealed cardboad shipping crate. It was packed in the famous Goulet style of 1000 meters of bubble wrap , along with the Canadian Stock Market report. This was to remind me that the US Government was in dire financial straits due to my failure to pay my full quartely IRS payment.

Design: The pen is a new take on the classic German design. It is a perfect match for the form follows function school of design. It is a 5" long, flat top , clipless pen.

I'm not a poster or much of a clip user so this works perfectly for me. I'd guess the Coefficient of Drag is close to that of my 356 or 0.32. It is made of Black Ebonite in a Matte Black finish. The Trim is of Brass, which is aesthetically perfect for the matte finish. There is a 3/8" wide cap band and a matching 1/16" blind cap band.

Construction and Quality: The consensus of myself and my fellow NMPCC members at the Unveiling was that the construction and quality mirror that of such Senior Hand Crafters as Brian Grey, Joe Cali, Dan Furlano, Dan Symonds and the current high end manufacturers of LE pens. I can find no glitches or faults with the workmanship. One of my peers likened this as to the unveiling of a a miniature sculpture like The Thinker or David.

Weight and Balance: If I can trust the Official house Weight Watcher Electronic portion Scale, we toe in at 27 grams in out trunks, ready to meet the current featherweight pen champ. I'm not a poster, as noted earlier, and the pen is perfectly balanced for my size 8 glove hand. Allows me to glide across the paper with ease.

Nib and Performance: On the unveiling, the locals commented, that can't be. How did he, Cameron, accomplish that. What the heck is that. Multiple views with the community loupes revealed, yes indeed it was a Sheaffer Lifetime 2 Tone Conical, Triumph, Sheath XF nib. This was a no extra charge customization I'd requested. Seeing a conical nib on Cameron's ED version, I wanted one on my pen, a non EDer. Now that I have the Binder Technique down,"Don't stab the paper, Jim, let the pen skate across it and you just guide it". Hats off to Richard , who has made my XXF an XF nib use so much more pleasant. On my Rhodia sample pads, staplebound, it skates with no effort, leaving a precise smooth fine line and a 7/10 wettness with PR Electric Blue ink. Smoothness, without feedback is 100%. Look at Wikipaedia, "Smooth as Butter" entry, this pen is pictured.

Filler System: Well, you've surmised by now it's not an ED. I have some and I like them, except for the burp when I run low on ink. This Sheaffer Vintage Nib has cross bred with a Parker Button Filler. This was hinted at with my blind cap comment under design.

Value: The classic styling, the materials used, the perfect simplistic design, but a beautiful piece of art that call out to me please use me, along with a classic Sheaffer nib places it as close to a 10/10 as one can find in todays world. If you want a piece of art that can be carried to a tuxedo event or in a pair of jeans yet fully usable at a moments notice, this is the pen for you.

Summary: Perfect, as I mentioned before, design, material use, manufacturing, and nib/filler system. You won't be disappointed win Camerons work. I feel honored to be one of the first owners of his work. Cameron Lewis is a name we'll hear more often as time goes on in our FP world. He is a great person to work and do business with, helpfull and innovative at all levels. Thank you Doug, it was money well spent, Jim

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1311529047__triumphnox_001.jpg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1311529057__triumphnox_002.jpg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1311529065__triumphnox_003.jpg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1311529079__triumphnox_004.jpg

Edited by jimhughes

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimhughes

• Brian C

• retro50

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank-you very much for the review, Jim. You were a great customer.

Pics posted in-line:

fpn_1311529047__triumphnox_001.jpg

fpn_1311529057__triumphnox_002.jpg

fpn_1311529065__triumphnox_003.jpg

fpn_1311529079__triumphnox_004.jpg

Edited by CLewis

Jar:

Well for a displaced Texican, I've got smallish hands, size 8 glove. But to the point I've got almost an inch of tapered section from the nib base to the bbl step you mention. So with my middle finger, pad to top , height of 5/8" or 13-14 mm's I'm good. I hold a pen with thumb and index finger, resting on 1st joint of the middle finger. Which in my 12 hour days, with IHS, of writing I developed a good size depression , callous on. I am reading your question to be, does the step touch or bother my finger when I am writing. No it's no where close. Does that help, or have I misinterpreted your original question? Jim

Jar:

Well for a displaced Texican, I've got smallish hands, size 8 glove. But to the point I've got almost an inch of tapered section from the nib base to the bbl step you mention. So with my middle finger, pad to top , height of 5/8" or 13-14 mm's I'm good. I hold a pen with thumb and index finger, resting on 1st joint of the middle finger. Which in my 12 hour days, with IHS, of writing I developed a good size depression , callous on. I am reading your question to be, does the step touch or bother my finger when I am writing. No it's no where close. Does that help, or have I misinterpreted your original question? Jim

Nope, you read me correctly. Thanks.

My Website

I would order one TODAY if they had clips. I love the look of theses pens but I know I just won't use it if I cant carry it. Would love to take advantage of the review special.

I would order one TODAY if they had clips. I love the look of theses pens but I know I just won't use it if I cant carry it. Would love to take advantage of the review special.

I'll give you first-refusal on the prototype. ;)

Another choice is an Accommodation Clip like some of the older BHR and RHR pens had. I got a couple a few years back, both original, aka old and a newer copy. I think I got them from Doc Nib. If it was somebody else, please sound off. One was a snake and another a monkey. Cute items and they just slip over the cap. As my pen is about the size, diameter wise, of the old BHR's they could work. At worst get a jewelers Ring Mandrel and redo the clips opening to fit your pen. You'll love the pen. If I hadn't already pulled the trigger on a Urishi Pearl, I would have jumped on the Urishi Mina, watch-art had on classified for you. Jim

How about split the difference. If CLewis could create an accommodation clip to match his pens... I get my clip and he gets another sale without changing his design. I am going to post for an accommodation clip...have no idea such a thing existed.

Hi Cameron, Would you mind contacting me? The "contact us" link on your website is feeling out of sorts. That Colossus bronze is something to be discussed!

I just ordered a Colussus from Cameron. I figure that with it being solid bronze I could stick that pen in the back pocket of my jeans and never damage it! (I would never actually do that though!) Looking forward to receiving it next week and posting my review.

"You're dispicable!"

Member: Calgary Pen Club

Congratulations Jim, your Levi pen is superb! Love the Triumph nib on the pen.

http://www.vintagewatermanpens.co.uk/accomclip.asp

Above is the, IIRC, Max Davis Pen site. This is his page of Accom. Clips click on blue item number in far right column for picture of the item. The Waterman site is in the UK or France. They've accepted Paypal in the past. Choose your poison, Jim

Max Davis is an excellent seller, he is based in France and accepts paypal. Just yesterday, I received a vintage Waterman's from him.

-Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Retro50:

So you beat Janet to the 8th wonder of the world pen.. Collosus at Rhodes. Look

forward to your review. I'm a lighter weight pen guy, but to each heis/her own. I think you'll be more than pleased with the pen.

Hari317: Max is a great guy to do business with. I hate looking at his catalogue, so many things I want and not enough funds in the Exchequer to purchase them. Jim

Yes, Retro 50 beat me out on the available Collusus (he/she who hesitates......). But one is on order and being started soon. I haven't been this excited about a new pen in a good long while. Janet

Janet:

I'm excited for you. I know you are going to be quite pleased when your pen arrives. Cameron has an incredible turn around time, for such a beautiful piece of art.

I'm on my second fill of ink already and it is just the perfect pen. Let us know when you get it, photos and your thoughts would be nice too. No affiliation, just a very pleased client, Jim

Yes, Retro 50 beat me out on the available Collusus (he/she who hesitates......). But one is on order and being started soon. I haven't been this excited about a new pen in a good long while. Janet

And so you should be! Cameron mailed mine on Friday from Winnipeg and it was actually in Calgary on Saturday!. But alas, due to union rules and the long weekend, I did not actually get it into my hands until today. :crybaby:

After pulling it out of the Express Post box and extricating it out of its two layers of bubble wrap, it heft really made its presence known as I rolled it out of the foam. Very well packed :thumbup:

The cap spun easily off its precision cut threads to expose the much anticipated vintage Scheaffer Lifetime fine two-tone nib. All of my other pens (Visconti HS, Opera & Scheaffer Legacy Heritage) are equipped with mediums, but Cameron assured me that this nib would not be a disappointment, and so it is not! :bunny01:

The first thing I did was to purge the last of the PR out of the reservoir and fill it with Noodlers Navajo Turquoise. The vintage button filler requires the use of two hands (one to hold the pen and the other to operate the plunger) as the spring tension is quite substantial, which just goes to compliment the weight and solidity of this pen. It's a machine!

Putting pen to paper, it began to write immediately. Once the hefty pen was balanced in my hand, which it just seemed to do naturally, the nib glided (glid?) quite effortlessly across the paper, the pen body itself providing the only pressure necessary to the nib. A fairly fine line compared to what I am used to, but as the ink flow reached full volume, I found the line to be quite appealing, and clean. My other pens are very wet writers, this one tends to be somewhat drier, but nice.

For me, this nib will be best suited to writing on papers such as Mead's Cambridge or the run of the mill printer papers I often grab for quick notes or doodlin' The line on these is closer to what my medium nibs achieve on Rhodia velum papers. They in turn tend to be rather not pretty on the cheaper papers. One noteworthy observation here is that both this nib and that of my Legacy Heritage have the exact same feel to them on the paper in the same way that both my Viscontis do relative to each other. Scheaffer nibs therefore must have a tried and true formula which has been used in their manufacture throughout their history.

The pen itself is a jewel. Absolutely beautiful precision machining of the threads and all the mating ends. The finish is very fine. New, the pen is bright and shiny, and I can't wait until it ages to develop the patina and take on the look one usually associates with bronze. This pen would not look good with a clip. So for all y'all waiting for yours, :drool: As for me, well, :cloud9: Thanks Cameron! :clap1:

"You're dispicable!"

Member: Calgary Pen Club

How about some photos to go with the nice review? Glad to hear, the pen meets your expectations. As another high end, price wise, pen owner(Cali x 1, Edison x 5, Furlano x 1,Symonds x 1 and Appleman x 1) I found the nib, the design and workmanship to be superb also. You comparison to a Modern, non Custom, pen was much appreciated. Enjoy your pen , Jim