No, No, No... Not Another Review Of The Homo Sapiens...

alvarez57

:cloud9: Glad you are lovin' it, mine is still one of my favorites!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alvarez57

• JefferyS

• fabrimedeiros

• Tiffanyhenschel

Good news! Which ink are you using? I'm still doing Diamine Syrah and Diamine Oxblood.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I still love mine, too. It's been inked with J. Herbin Bleu Nuit constantly since June when I got it. My son wants one too -- maybe for graduation in two years.

"Life is too big for words, so don't try to describe it. Just live it."

- C.S. Lewis

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Good news! Which ink are you using? I'm still doing Diamine Syrah and Diamine Oxblood.

For the longest (with the defective pen) I was using Gray Flannel by PR; then I used it on this new one. ♪The-en went for Pilot's Irushizuki ku-jaku (gorgeous deep peacock or teal) and now I believe Noodler's Tulip Noir that I love and cherish like gold from El dorado (yes, El dorado, as we don't capitalize like in English).

I still love mine, too. It's been inked with J. Herbin Bleu Nuit constantly since June when I got it. My son wants one too -- maybe for graduation in two years.

That would be a nice gift for him. Make sure it is tested... if you can.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

For the longest (with the defective pen) I was using Gray Flannel by PR; then I used it on this new one. ♪The-en went for Pilot's Irushizuki ku-jaku (gorgeous deep peacock or teal) and now I believe Noodler's Tulip Noir that I love and cherish like gold from El dorado (yes, El dorado, as we don't capitalize like in English).

That would be a nice gift for him. Make sure it is tested... if you can.

Absolutely! Mine is buttery smooth with perfect flow, but I am beginning to believe that I was just lucky. I won't buy another one without testing it first (unless I possibly order it from Bryant.)

"Life is too big for words, so don't try to describe it. Just live it."

- C.S. Lewis

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I just wish Visconti would come to learn that this product could be excellent if the QC would be more strict at their factory. My nib's shape is irregular: the printing and cut were done not at the exact middle. Does it affect the performance? no, not at all, but for somebody like me that I pay attention to certain details, I noticed it immediately.

I hope that with all the rejects (or whatever you call them) they are getting back they might start to think there is something wrong at the factory. Perhaps they have a terrorist among the production line! ph34r.gif

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

I just wish Visconti would come to learn that this product could be excellent if the QC would be more strict at their factory. My nib's shape is irregular: the printing and cut were done not at the exact middle. Does it affect the performance? no, not at all, but for somebody like me that I pay attention to certain details, I noticed it immediately.

I hope that with all the rejects (or whatever you call them) they are getting back they might start to think there is something wrong at the factory. Perhaps they have a terrorist among the production line! ph34r.gif

Lol. A pen terrorist. A terror for us, when we've spent $400 on a pen that's not perfect. >.< Seriously though, I got mine with misplaced gold plating, and even though it wrote perfectly, it bothered me enough to send it back for a nib exchange. You would think that $400 dollars would get you quality control at a level that is even close to that of Pilot's or Pelikan's. Nope. Bad Visconti, bad!

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Lol. A pen terrorist. A terror for us, when we've spent $400 on a pen that's not perfect. >.< Seriously though, I got mine with misplaced gold plating, and even though it wrote perfectly, it bothered me enough to send it back for a nib exchange. You would think that $400 dollars would get you quality control at a level that is even close to that of Pilot's or Pelikan's. Nope. Bad Visconti, bad!

I supose that a good way to acquire a flawless Visconti HS is purchase from a popular and trusted seller. I purchased mine from Marco Moricci (Casa Della Stilografica in Firenze- Italy) and I had no problems. He dipped and tested the pen before send. Bryant would do the same. If Visconti quality control is poor, you'll compensate it with the Bryant's good work. And a HS is worth the effort!! It's an awesome pen.

I test-wrote an HS in Reno a few weeks ago but gasped at the price. Then I found the Mazzi Volcano art on the HS and decided that I'd really, really like to have one of these pens. The artwork makes me think of flames on a '57 Chevy with that big-honkin' V8 engine and really fat rear tires. :)

I don't usually go for the gaudy, but maybe, in this one case, I might. :)

Great review, BTW, and even better from the personal perspective.

If I had known, I would have bought it at a B+M store in town. They would have matched the price of anyone else, plus some. On top of that, I'd be able to examine the pen first instead of getting a shot in the dark. I wouldn't be so bitter if I hadn't spent $500 to get it and to get it into working order. Would have only cost me $400. Ah well. You live and learn.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

• 4 months later...

I just purchased this pen, with an EF nib, this afternoon, to end my shopping spree.

The world is supposed to come to an end in 11 months now, so let's indulge ourselves ;)

Since this pen has been reviewed extensively already, I won't post another review, but will add my brick to the wall :

- Flex : from XF to B, very nice. Yummy even!

- Filling system : So the resin is porous. Now I know what it means. Since it's a plunger filler, you have to immerse a part of the section in the inkwell for 20 seconds. Then clean it. The last bits of ink will stain your fingers while writing, capilarity making the ink expelled from section's resin and go to your skin. Boooh!

- Nib : very similar to the EF I have on my 149, but with flex. So even better. But the polishing is far from being perfect, some stripes are visible.

- Balance : the pen is very comfortable. The resin is soft. There's weight at the section. It's very nice.

- B nib. I tried it too. It has more flex, but it's too wide and wet for my taste.

- Quality control :

1. Nib polishing bad.

2. Tines were misaligned, the pen was far beyond scratchy. I had to have it tuned after two letters written. This is barely acceptable.

So it's a very average pen, flawed from the start regarding the conception, but saved by the good (after tuning) nib.

It's an experience, but I doubt I'll buy more Visconti pens, because for 400€, there are other experiences that can be tried with better results.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

I just purchased this pen, with an EF nib, this afternoon, to end my shopping spree.

The world is supposed to come to an end in 11 months now, so let's indulge ourselves ;)

Since this pen has been reviewed extensively already, I won't post another review, but will add my brick to the wall :

- Flex : from XF to B, very nice. Yummy even!

- Filling system : So the resin is porous. Now I know what it means. Since it's a plunger filler, you have to immerse a part of the section in the inkwell for 20 seconds. Then clean it. The last bits of ink will stain your fingers while writing, capilarity making the ink expelled from section's resin and go to your skin. Boooh!

- Nib : very similar to the EF I have on my 149, but with flex. So even better. But the polishing is far from being perfect, some stripes are visible.

- Balance : the pen is very comfortable. The resin is soft. There's weight at the section. It's very nice.

- B nib. I tried it too. It has more flex, but it's too wide and wet for my taste.

- Quality control :

1. Nib polishing bad.

2. Tines were misaligned, the pen was far beyond scratchy. I had to have it tuned after two letters written. This is barely acceptable.

So it's a very average pen, flawed from the start regarding the conception, but saved by the good (after tuning) nib.

It's an experience, but I doubt I'll buy more Visconti pens, because for 400€, there are other experiences that can be tried with better results.

Visconti's quality control is very finicky. You can't use the palladium AG nib as a flexible nib otherwise you will ruin it. Even my 1979 Mb 149 and my older 149 models offer far better nibs in terms of nib flexibility and overall quality of build than any visconti.It is a very overrated pen for the money, Omas paragon, Stip Eritruria and Montegrappa Extra 1930 are far better pens for the money.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I am liking the steel age MIDI model and waiting for the dimensions.

VS still have issues with QC at this time, what gives?

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

• 1 month later...

Still trouble free with my HS bronze. Just perfect and the FP I would keep if I had to get rid of my collection.

My HS make my MB 145 and 146 overrated and overpriced in comparison. I can't touch the precious resin anymore without missing the feel of the volcanic rock.

Now I'm looking for a deal on a HS rollerball or ballpoint, it would be a nice replacement to my loved visconti van gogh RB.

Still trouble free with my HS bronze. Just perfect and the FP I would keep if I had to get rid of my collection.

My HS make my MB 145 and 146 overrated and overpriced in comparison. I can't touch the precious resin anymore without missing the feel of the volcanic rock.

Now I'm looking for a deal on a HS rollerball or ballpoint, it would be a nice replacement to my loved visconti van gogh RB.

What about the HOMO SAPIEN STEEL?????

• 1 month later...

I have a steel homo sapien available with an 18 K GOLD nib. Message me if you are interested. I was asking 400 for it

• 2 weeks later...

I test-wrote an HS in Reno a few weeks ago but gasped at the price. Then I found the Mazzi Volcano art on the HS and decided that I'd really, really like to have one of these pens. The artwork makes me think of flames on a '57 Chevy with that big-honkin' V8 engine and really fat rear tires. :)

I don't usually go for the gaudy, but maybe, in this one case, I might. :)

Great review, BTW, and even better from the personal perspective.

Thanks! I had already forgotten this thread! :thumbup: liked the above description of the Flamed HS!

If I had known, I would have bought it at a B+M store in town. They would have matched the price of anyone else, plus some. On top of that, I'd be able to examine the pen first instead of getting a shot in the dark. I wouldn't be so bitter if I hadn't spent $500 to get it and to get it into working order. Would have only cost me $400. Ah well. You live and learn.

:unsure: Er... I DID buy it at a B&M store...this is my second but decided tp keep it for really, it is almost unnoticeable and the pen writes wonderfully. I do rotations, but this one doesn't stay too long away.

Oh! then +/-20secs dipping???? :headsmack: No wonder it didn't hold that much ink.

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

This is an interesting review and conversation.

Visconti never caught my attention.

But this stone finish is realy interesting. According to my research it is lava from the Mount Etna mixed with resin. Maybe that´s why it feels like rubber and stone at the same time.

Costing 400 USD (300 EUR) and having quality issues this pen is not for me.