No, No, No... Not Another Review Of The Homo Sapiens...

alvarez57

An update with this pen.

I really love the feel of this pen, the ergonomics, the nib and the material. Does not tire my hand...BUT it skips! it leaks! :gaah: BIG TIME!

Should I say another good Italian product made mediocre due to poor QC?????

Another trip to Italy together with the Stipula Model T :mad:

This is why I have never bought a visconti because of their very finicky quality control, hell even my 1979 mb 149 has never leaked a single time nor failed me since may 2007. Even with two my erutrias and my omas 360s and my new paragon, I never got a single problem.Buy a Pelikan or another MB149 to compare what a good and reliable pen is and what something finicky and unreliable is.

Salut Georges!

You are right about this particular issue but refer to my above comment. I have 5 Viscontis and never have I had any sort of problem with them except for this pen. I like my MB149 even with its minimal leak -yes, it also stains my fingers, someting that I just wipe off and go on. Now, the feel of this pen in my hands and the nib, well, IMHO to me it's worth sending it back to get the problem fixed.

For the first time I do get the feel of a pen whose material does not slip from my fingers (not even the venerable urushi) and simply stays there no matter if the fingers are wet or oily. The nib is fabulous, very responsive but not a "wet noodle". To me it's almost the perfect pen if it didn't come with these CQ issues.

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alvarez57

• JefferyS

• fabrimedeiros

• Tiffanyhenschel

I would be really ticked off having paid that much for a pen and to have the issues you describe. :crybaby:

I know...call me stupid for still liking this pen...:ninja:

sonia alvarez

• 2 weeks later...

An update. Went to Dave's store and he swapped my HS for one with a fine nib. A very fine nib which I have to get used to compared to my M. Why then keep the F? Because I also use them to chart. I see this one the inks flows more uniformly than the past one, so I'm hoping not to encounter the flow issues. It is true that once you have an initial negative experience with something, you keep that "en guarde" feeling of distrust. But again, I really like this pen and then let's see if I don't encounter any issue with this new one.

Another thing is the bronze does not have the patina, it is very shiny :thumbup: and I don't have to mess with that yellow thing that stains my pen for a while.

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

An update. Went to Dave's store and he swapped my HS for one with a fine nib. A very fine nib which I have to get used to compared to my M. Why then keep the F? Because I also use them to chart. I see this one the inks flows more uniformly than the past one, so I'm hoping not to encounter the flow issues. It is true that once you have an initial negative experience with something, you keep that "en guarde" feeling of distrust. But again, I really like this pen and then let's see if I don't encounter any issue with this new one.

Another thing is the bronze does not have the patina, it is very shiny :thumbup: and I don't have to mess with that yellow thing that stains my pen for a while.

I wish you good luck with your nib. Keep up us updated

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Oui Georges, on verra. :happyberet:

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

I'm a bit curious about you new nib...has the F nib the same springness as the M (did you note any difference)? Is the F nib wet?

I'm a bit curious about you new nib...has the F nib the same springness as the M (did you note any difference)? Is the F nib wet?

No, doesn't feel as springy, now I am not applying almost any pressure at all and I will be patient to wait for the break-in period. I did learn the hard way that semi-flex new nibs (and maybe all new nibs) do require a certain time to acclimate to the writer's style. I'll let you know. Now, it does write a semi-wet line (I can spread the tines a bit to make it wetter, but no, there is no need).

sonia alvarez

I have two Viscontis: an HS-M and an Opera (summer yellow) M. Neither has ever skipped dripped, leaked or done other evil pen things. Now, I have absolutely NO idea what a normal ink capacity or number of pages that can be written is for the HS, but normally I can write in excess of four full 8 1/2 x 11 pages.

"You're dispicable!"

Member: Calgary Pen Club

I have two Viscontis: an HS-M and an Opera (summer yellow) M. Neither has ever skipped dripped, leaked or done other evil pen things. Now, I have absolutely NO idea what a normal ink capacity or number of pages that can be written is for the HS, but normally I can write in excess of four full 8 1/2 x 11 pages.

With my HS 1.3mm Stub, which is very wet, I can write 10 pages (the same 81/2"x 11" pages = the largest notebook). And a wet large stub nib always spends more ink than any other nib size.

Probably you're not succeeding in filling your pen at the maximum volume. There is a simple technique to get a full load in a HS without using the Visconti Travelling Ink Pot.

With my HS 1.3mm Stub, which is very wet, I can write 10 pages (the same 81/2"x 11" pages = the largest notebook). And a wet large stub nib always spends more ink than any other nib size.

Probably you're not succeeding in filling your pen at the maximum volume. There is a simple technique to get a full load in a HS without using the Visconti Travelling Ink Pot.

And that is...? C'mon - out with it! I do, BTW, have a travelling ink pot which I just purchased but which have not as of yet used to fill the HS.

"You're dispicable!"

And that is...? C'mon - out with it! I do, BTW, have a travelling ink pot which I just purchased but which have not as of yet used to fill the HS.

Sorry. It's easy:

1) Fill as normal the first time.

2) Remove the pen from the ink and turn the pen so the nib is upwards.

3) Pull the plunger out again and then push the plunger in until you start to see swell just a tiny bit around the feed. Don't push the piston over. The nib must be upwards.

4) Then put the pen back in the ink and press the remaining plunger down all the way one last time. Wait 5 or 10 seconds with the nib into the ink. Done!

5) You can shake the pen next to your head and listen that the reservoir is full.

Cheers,

Fabricio

Sorry. It's easy:

1) Fill as normal the first time.

2) Remove the pen from the ink and turn the pen so the nib is upwards.

3) Pull the plunger out again and then push the plunger in until you start to see swell just a tiny bit around the feed. Don't push the piston over. The nib must be upwards.

4) Then put the pen back in the ink and press the remaining plunger down all the way one last time. Wait 5 or 10 seconds with the nib into the ink. Done!

5) You can shake the pen next to your head and listen that the reservoir is full.

Cheers,

Fabricio

I'll let you know how many pages I get.

"You're dispicable!"

Great 'review'! I bought one of these pens some time ago and it has been flawless. The nib is in a world of its own. Several people have had issues with the pen but equally people have had none. It may or may not be as 'reliable' as a MB but I know which one will still work if dropped!

Oh and I too did the tooth test when I purchased it. I thought it was the totally logically test to do... but then again, if alone in a room with a tea pot and a tea cosy, I'd have a nice woolly hat :roflmho:

Enjoy your great pen.

Oh and Jeffery - I'm glad you're still enjoying yours!

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

Great 'review'! I bought one of these pens some time ago and it has been flawless. The nib is in a world of its own. Several people have had issues with the pen but equally people have had none. It may or may not be as 'reliable' as a MB but I know which one will still work if dropped!

Oh and I too did the tooth test when I purchased it. I thought it was the totally logically test to do... but then again, if alone in a room with a tea pot and a tea cosy, I'd have a nice woolly hat :roflmho:

Enjoy your great pen.

Oh and Jeffery - I'm glad you're still enjoying yours!

THE ALVAREZ TEST!!! Globally, no, UNIVERSALLY-known test for Visconti HS ....the only thing is the folks at Visconti don't know it yet....:headsmack:

I reckon now I had a defective pen. The one I have now is flawless: no inky fingers, no skipping due to defective vacuum system (or air infiltrating through the nib section??) And it writes immediately off the cap.

. the only thing was the nib was a bit dry for me, but spreading the tines a bit took care of the problem. I haven't let it go from my rotations since I got even the defective one. I am pleased with this pen.

ooops! Forgot to say that this one fills much quicker than the first one (so there were issues with the vacuum system) and I don't have to worry about filling it for a good while. I cannot tell you how many pages it has written for me for I use it for charting which consist of basically jotting notes in my patients charts (I am refusing electronic records!) and on the hospital rounds. It has basically lasted me 5 working days.

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

Glad to hear that the replacement pen is working well.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

So do I, Jeffery. do you live close to the St. Francis Xavier Seelos shrine? I took some pictures from the church. Beautiful church!

sonia alvarez

I'm pretty sure that I stopped by that church the day of the St. Patrick's Day parade a while back.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Last update

Going on strong: no skippin', no inky fingers, the initial scratchiness gone, ink lasts many days. A wonderful F nib that really writes juicy and soft. I love this pen.

sonia alvarez