The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Penscape Acrylic Pen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spotted and speckled

spotted and speckled

Miami, Florida

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2011 - 16:57

This a review for a Roger Cromwell Acrylic Penscape pen that I picked up at the Miami Pen Show last weekend. It came with with a convertor that I filled with Binder Burgundy at Pendleton's (pb2) table. Apologies for the pictures from the start--it's been raining like crazy in Sunny South Florida! Will post more pictures if you want when the sun comes out again.

Group picture, for size comparison, from the top: TWSBI, Pelikan M800 blue o'blue, Roger Cromwell handturned Penscape pen, Snorkel, Sheaffer NoNonsense pen. I don't have a scale for weight, but in my hand the Twsbi and the Pelikan are both heavier.Posted Image
Posted Image

I am a pretty even-handed writer by nature, so I am probably not doing the Stipula Fine Titanium Flex nib that it came with any justice. Roger also had Fine, Medium, and Broad regular (14k? 18k?) nibs--my choice. I don't know if those were Stipula nibs or not (but I would imagine so--I wrote with the broad and it was responsive). I actually didn't know this one was a Stipula nib until Pendleton looked at it and told me. It's smooth, very pleasing. A bit of tooth, just enough to hear it but not enough to feel it. Responsive to pressure and springs instantly back into place.

The pen itself is what sold me though. I'm prone to like wider-body pens, and Roger told me this one was ergodynamically designed. The cap screws onto the back without making it tail-heavy. If you like lighter pens, this one qualifies. Not a cheap plastic feel at all.Posted Image

Posted Image

Roger also said that he thought it could be used as an eyedropper but he hadn't tried it that way yet. So let's see...

Posted Image

Same pen, I took the convertor out and measured the capacity of the barrel (using water, just in case it leaked. It did not leak anywhere.) and it was just a few molecules shy of 4 ml. it didn't leak at all when I turned it upside down for a while, but I put a smidgeon of silicon grease around the top rim of the body prior to filling it with ink for good luck and good measure. I syringed in 3ml of Skrip Peacock Blue (vintage--I think PR Daphne Blue is the closest in color being produced now) and put it all together again. A little shake (as in ONE) to get the ink to the end of the nib and here we are:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pros & Cons:

Cons-- No clip, if that is important to you. I keep all my pens stored upright all the time--I have a penholder with a clip that attaches to the bag I am using--so being clipless made no difference to me. I'm sure Roger could make a clipped model if you wanted one.

Pros-- Eyedropper holds a bunch of ink! I'm not a fan of those twist-convertors, so this is a plus. (The blob inside the cap in the picture where the convertor is in is why I'm not a big fan of those. They blob.)

I bought it at the Miami Pen show, where I had my major pen purchase down to either the new Pelikan M1005 demonstrator (which was a good size, had a lovely M nib, but was very tail-heavy when posted) or a 1936 Vac Major, which were $600ish and $400, respectively. I fell in love with this pen right away, and it was only $300. So, in light of the other pens I was looking at, it was a bargain. And it worked instantly, no rinsing, flossing or babying. It has yet to skip or give me any issues.

Nibs choices--Roger will put in whatever nib you want.

Color choices! I took the red transparent glittery one, but he also had a bunch of other great colors. There was a black shimmer one that was gorgeous, and a bronze shimmer one. Then there were a few transparent colors with some glitter embedded in the acrylic. I'm sure they could do just about any color you wanted.

Already mentioned the great size, shape and weight. If you are looking for a Tank, keep looking-- this one is not it. Cap screws on, and screws onto the back end. I am a confirmed poster, so this was important to me. Most pens are too short for me unless the cap is posted.

This pen opened my eyes to the world of custom pens! I have had a few hand-turned pens before, but they all either had nails for nibs or were so heavy my hand would hurt after a while (I have an old injury to my writing hand--thumb AND wrist). This pen gives me hope for customizing pens, and allows me to say wonderful things about hand-turned pens.

This is also my new favorite pen!! And it's been a very long time since I've been able to be this happy with a pen, so that really is saying something.

Much love--

--Virginia
Much Love--Virginia

Sponsored Content

#2 Russ

Russ

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:49

I really like the glittery red ! ! ! :puddle: :puddle:

#3 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:08

Those are Stipula units (actually made by Bock). The nibs Roger got from Stipula have a slightly different metal processing than the standard Stipula Ti nibs. Roger had some of the nibs anodized so you can get nibs in different colors.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's what these nibs can do in a skilled hand (MsLoathesome)

Posted Image

The new pens Roger has are very nice. I actually held your pen since I helped unpacked them when they came back from manufacturing. It is possible to put a clip on these pens although I think Roger has not settled on a clip design.

Here is my favorite among the first batch. You'll notice this pen has a clip. I'll let Roger know he needs to have the clip option.

Posted Image

2020 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#4 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:49

that clip actually looks really nice on there.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#5 Ron Lee

Ron Lee

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:30

Altec Green is correct that there is a clip option. Roger is having the clips made.

Ron

#6 karinh

karinh

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:04

The coloured nibs are gorgeous! :puddle: Red sparkly pen is lovely too.

Nice review, Virginia.
"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light." - Groucho Marx

#7 sumgaikid

sumgaikid

Don't mess with the kitteh......

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2011 - 14:38

Good review,Virginia. Very interesting pen made by Roger. It's nice to see more
of our pen repair folk branching into crafting custom pens(and nibs).

John
Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

Sponsored Content

|