The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Scheaffer No Nonsense W/ Triple Tine Italic Nib

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2011 - 00:33

DSCF2352.JPG
Well, as you can see this is a standard 1st model Scheaffer No Nonsense which seems to be familiar to many people here but this nib is unique as are the results. You're not seeing double, the nib lays down 2 lines at a time. Here it is

DSCF2355-1.JPG

It has 2 breather holes and slits therefore 3 tines but instead of one thick vertical line (like a music nib) it lays down 2 lines. One of the lines is supposed to be thicker than the other. The left hand pair looked like they were aligned correctly when it arrived but did not write so I spread the tines a bit and pressed down a bit and the problem was solved. It is a challenge for me to keep both parts of the nib in equal contact with the paper as I write.

I bought the No Nonsense with a standard Fine nib from Peyton Street Pens and Teri was quite nice to deal with. I ordered the Triple Tine nib from Pendemonium along with a pen I'll review later. Both pen and nib were well packed and arrived on Monday; I had ordered them on Thursday night so my hat's off to both dealers for very speedy delivery. :thumbup: Both Scheaffer items were NOS and neither had it's original packaging but they were in good shape.
I can't see myself using the 3 tine nib often but my niece's birthday is coming up so I'll use it for her card. I'm sure I'll the use the pen with the fine nib at work.

I hope you'll all enjoy this post.

P.S. Has anyone tried the No Nonsense as an eyedropper? It looks like it would work and that would save me from having to get a converter.

Edited by Uncle Red, 20 July 2011 - 01:01.

Sponsored Content

#2 Pen Is Mightier

Pen Is Mightier

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2011 - 00:40

First off that writing is pretty neat, a little disorienting, but neat. I hope you have fun with that nib!

Also you can turn Sheaffer cartridge pens of earlier generations into eyedroppers as long as you seal the threads with silicone grease. It has to be pure silicone because you don't want any chemicals in it that can eat away pens like some petroleum stuff they add to silicone grease.

Check for holes on your pen first in the barrel, if it has none try the silicone trick it should work!

hope this helps!
The Pen Is Mightier than the sword.

#3 Tennessee Dave

Tennessee Dave

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2011 - 00:42

That is an interesting pen for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Dave

Thankful for being blessed with a genteel life and wonderful wife

#4 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:04

Thank you both for the kind words. Pen is Mightier, I have silicon grease already so I'll do a water test for holes when the cartridge is done.

#5 andybiotic

andybiotic

Check out my 14K flexible...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:07

That is called a shadow nib (for obvious reasons), I have a few in difference sizes for the Osmiroid calligraphy pen, they are quite fun eh?!

Darn, you made me take them out and ink them again! I had them cleaned and stored away just a few days ago :roflmho: nah, they are fun to use! Oh well... off I go and clean them again! :crybaby:

and just so you know, music nibs have similar set up in terms of the two slits and three tines. The purpose of the two slits is to supply enough ink to the huge contacting surface. :thumbup:

Edited by andybiotic, 20 July 2011 - 08:53.

Posted Image

#6 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2011 - 14:45

very interesting nib, thanks for sharing
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#7 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2011 - 19:34

Wow Andy, Your handwriting puts me to shame. I've got a long way to go.

#8 geoduc

geoduc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:48

Are you supposed to wear 3D glasses to read the output of these nibs?

#9 The Royal Pen

The Royal Pen

Me Irish eyes are smiling, for I've found me perfect blue.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2011 - 17:29

I love that Sheaffer pen! Cheap but extremely good and durable! Excellent review!
Posted Image

#10 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2011 - 19:26

Thank you, the eyedropper conversion went well and the fine nib is very nice.

Geoduc, wouldn't it be nice if it wrote red/blue and came with the glasses :rolleyes:

Edited by Uncle Red, 22 July 2011 - 19:28.

Sponsored Content

|