Jinhao ' Century' Pen In Blue Celluloid

richardandtracy

If you guys don't mind me asking, how easily does the nib dry out? Its been an issue with my other chinese pens, but none of them have been screw caps before.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• KrazyIvan

• Art

• Helen350

I have not had issues with it drying out. It is on the wet side of the spectrum.

more referring to storage and nib drying, I've had my Jinhao #30 and all my Duke 209s dry up half a converter in a week, with limited writing xD

Great to know they write wet though, I'm starting to appreciate wet writers especially if its on the bolder side. I have many many shading inks... xD

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

I have to confess I haven't left mine alone for more than a couple of days since I got it.

However, the ink does show some slight signs of drying - the ink is usually slightly more concentrated than standard first time I pick it up. However the amount of drying is no worse than I get with a P51/61 after the same length of time. It shouldn't come anywhere near drying a c/c full in a week - I seriously doubt if the amount were to be noticeable.

Regards,

Richard.

Thanks for the review. I like the blue barrel and the design just like the Dufold. I might consider adding this to my collection.

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

I have not had issues with it drying out. It is on the wet side of the spectrum.

more referring to storage and nib drying, I've had my Jinhao #30 and all my Duke 209s dry up half a converter in a week, with limited writing xD

Great to know they write wet though, I'm starting to appreciate wet writers especially if its on the bolder side. I have many many shading inks... xD

Ok. I misunderstood. I do have that sort of issue but always attributed it to the dry desert climate I live in. This is mainly because if I leave a pen in a climate controlled environment, the dry out time is greatly extended. I have the issue with just about any pen I own with two exceptions. My TWSBI 530 and 540 don't seem to suffer any evaporation issues no matter where I store them.

Thanks for the review. I like the blue barrel and the design just like the Dufold. I might consider adding this to my collection.

If you want a true Duofold Centennial look-alike consider the Kaigelu 316 - https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/204770-kaigelu-316-grey-amber/ . It's a bit heavier, otherwise it's almost identical.

Regards,

Richard.

• 5 weeks later...

Just Got mine in!

A minor note from construction that I can see: The threads are square cut. This means more comfort if you're writing and gripping in that area, and (as a carry over from flashlight experience) also makes threading the cap onto the body easier, and reduces the chance for cross-threading.

Might be a cheap pen, but there's been some thought that went into it! I'll be keeping an eye on nib dry-out, there's no Inner cap at all, and there's no solid sealing mechanism... Probably no worse than a vintage pen, but I think there's enough room at the end of the brass threads to slip an O-Ring if it turns out to dry out fast.

• 11 months later...

Huzzah! Mine arrived this week. Smoother and lighter than my ex-450. The pattern looks great in the light. Seems better finishing than the 450 too. A great pen in an extremely affordable duofold styling.

With thanks

J. B. Morley

• 1 year later...

Based on some older posts, I decided to purchase this pen. It arrived today, and I immediately inked it with Stipula Deep Blue. I was so excited that it arrived, I failed to flush the pen. However, when I sat down to write, it wrote smoothly right out of its packaging. The nib is a medium, but writes more like a #5 fine-medium. Well designed. It does not have the celluloid smell, though it claims to be made of celluloid. Love the deep blue pearlescence. Nice finish. Screw cap. Nice weight uncapped (small hands); not overwhelming when capped. Clip and cap top both have the Jinhao emblem. I did not experience any skipping nor was the nib dry. On the current model of the Century, the fittings are silver. When I consider I paid $19.50 for the pen (free shipping), I believe that I will get my money's worth out of it. I was thinking how I could coat the fittings to help eliminate any future flaking.

The pen is certainly not celluloid, I agree with you on that. I am nt sure much can be tone to prolong the plating life, except not use the pen, which would be a shame.

It is a nice pen & I'm glad you like it. I do think it's a shame that they are getting quite scarce now.

Regards,

Richard

The pen is certainly not celluloid, I agree with you on that. I am nt sure much can be tone to prolong the plating life, except not use the pen, which would be a shame.

It is a nice pen & I'm glad you like it. I do think it's a shame that they are getting quite scarce now.

Regards,

Richard

Y C Guo (eBay Vendor jewelrymathematics has them available in both Mk I versions (this pen) and the Mk II versions, here

I bought one of the Blue Mk II versions (no metal thread on the barrel and two rings on the cap) to go with my Mk I.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Y C Guo (eBay Vendor jewelrymathematics has them available in both Mk I versions (this pen) and the Mk II versions, here

I bought one of the Blue Mk II versions (no metal thread on the barrel and two rings on the cap) to go with my Mk I.

Unfortunately the blue is no longer available. They have either the red or the black. The do say that the material is acrylic.

that's a very in-depth review. if i would buy a new jinhao pen, this would definitely be it.

that's a very in-depth review. if i would buy a new jinhao pen, this would definitely be it.

What an artistic talent!

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the blue is no longer available. They have either the red or the black. The do say that the material is acrylic.

I have been watching these pens on my wish list for a while and another vendor has them in blue on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171432842459&alt=web

I have no affiliation and no experience with this vendor. +1 on YC Guo --great pricing and service!