Montblanc Donation Pen -Sir Georg Solti

Sidestreaker

Recently my colleagues and I have mixed feelings. Our fearless boss has decided to leave the company and heads back to Calgary for greener pastures. We are all happy and proud of him but in the same time, we know we’re going to lose a great workmate, leader, mentor and a friend. The team and I decided to get him a fountain pen, and guess who volunteered to go on a hunt? We set a budget and off I go to look for the best bargain in town.

I came across a boutique offering some really good bargain on its selected products. One thing that caught my eye was the Montblanc Solti Donation Pen. It never stuck me as an appropriate gift but knowing that my boss is somewhat a musician, I would think that this may be a perfect gift. He's quite an artist as well and I reckon that an extra fine nib would probably suit him well. The pen fits our budget after a consensus from all my colleagues, I returned to the boutique to acquire it.

First Impression.

This is truly a well packaged merchandise, with much effort and attention given to the packaging, perfect for our purpose as a gift. I don't think we have to try hard to even wrap it as the box is already impressive to begin with. It comes with 2 deck of playing cards for a game of bridge, Solti's favourite game, a booklet about the pen and warranty card/instruction booklet.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P7154468.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P7154472.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P7164518.jpg

Appearance and Design 9/10

A flat top fountain pen, reminiscence of old vintage MB style, the Montblanc Solti comes with a clip fashioned after a piano keyboard and the cap rings resembles key strings, all inspired by Solti's early musical career as a pianist. The red signature on the black resin recalls his choice of colour for writing musical scores and comments. Just above the signature, the ink window tinted in blue resembles of a 146 ink window. All this come together in rather handsome looking pen, one of my preferred design amongst the donation pen, and I must say rather refreshing after surrounding myself with cigar shape like pens of the Meisterstuck series.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P7154483.jpg

Construction and Quality 7.5/10

The pen feels solid, no sloppy edges and all metal and resin parts are smooth and well made. After being capped, it does not feel loose, like most Miesterstuck 146/149 has, and seems sealed solid. However, the 'ebony' resin on the keyboard like clip doesn't quite give me the confidence that I'll stay there indefinitely and being extruded, may be more susceptible to scratches. I just have a thing about more than one piece component for the clip.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P7154481.jpg

Weight and Dimension 8/10

Made from resin on most part, the pen is light and good for everyday use and writing. This is one of the better balanced pen, long enough to be used comfortable without posting the cap. It has the good feel of a 146 in terms of balance and size.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P7164549.jpg

Nib and Performance N/A

As this is meant to be a gift, I can't comment on this as it is not being used (at least not by me). Otherwise, it will be in danger of being in my possession for good, I'm almost certain of it. It's a rhodium plated 18k nib, EF for this particular one, and looks gorgeous.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P7164564.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P7154491.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance. 8/10

Standard piston filling system, smooth and easy to use. Seems to work well here.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P7164524.jpg

Value 8/10

I think as a limited edition or special edition pen, this carries a good value for the quality and uniqueness it offers. This is perhaps one of the few montblancs with piston filler that I can find with the budget we have set (of course the sale helps a lot too). Overall I think, as an alternative to 146s the Donation Pen series are something that should not be overlooked in terms of value.

Conclusion

There will be no sum of scores here as I'm not inking the nib, but one thing I have learnt is that these Donation Pens are made more for everyday use. Unlike most of POA or WE pens, they are not too flashy, lightweight, economical design, practical and solidly built, I can imagine one will certainly pick up these pens more often.

We hope that our boss will be happy with this.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P7164564.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P7164519.jpg

Now if only they still have that other piece on sale still....

Edited by Sidestreaker

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sidestreaker

• Brian

• Inked

• humblescribbler

Well done review. After owning and using the Solti for over a year here's a few additional thoughts to share:--agree with your comment about the clip; because it's not a one piece design it uses a black key for an insert that is somewhat fragile. If you slide it forward with too much force it will snap its retaining tab. --Solti works well otherwise as a daily writer as I enjoy MBs wonderful stubby broad points. --in public this pen does quite well as an understated albeit formal looking tool. It is perfectly sized. --finally, after some time with this pen I do find it a good tool for notes, thoughts, journalling (sic?), and yes, even for work.Your colleague is very lucky to have great friends like you and I am sure he will love this gift.

Edited by Brian

A beautiful and well thought out gift.

Congratulations on your choice, and I am sure you will make the impression you desire and convey your appreciation of your boss's efforts.

As an added gift, be sure to slip a piece of paper in with www.fountainpennetwork.com written on it, and you may help get us a new member!

Cheers,

Inked

WOW, Very nice parting gift indeed! I have owned a Solti (and had to sell for cash and have always regretted that.) I love the signature in red, which some folks on FPN really hate, but I think it's very distinguished. There was something also about his scarf in the red, and he marked up his conducting scores in red marker. And then of course the dove of peace on the nib is outstanding.

+1 for his having wonderful colleagues! E.g. you! :thumbup:

Such a kind and thoughtful gift.

I have this very pen. EF nib, and all. I agree with your thoughts about the packaging and the appearance of the pen.

What drew me to purchase this pen was the flat top. The Solti was one of my first non-Meisterstuck pens, and I loved the flat top cap. Still do, actually.

I used this pen as my Pen Of The Day, today- before seeing this review. My Pen of The Day choice is a ritual I do in the morning. I can fill the pen with ink and test it out, as I go over in my mind the various tasks I have to do for work that day.

This pen, for me, was a bad writer out of the box. I was using MB Royal Blue, and the pen skipped a lot. I found the Fountain Pen Network because of that pen, actually. I was googling FP skipping issues. Been a member of this fine forum, ever since. I discovered that it was just this particular pen-ink combo that didn't work out.

My Solti had a tragedy, when I dropped it and the pen hit the floor nib tip down. The tines were bent in opposite directions, one right and the other West. I was so bummed.

Sent it to Montblanc Service, and they sent it to Hamburg. I was hoping it would just be a repair- you know, just bend the tines back into alignment. Montblanc thought otherwise. They recommended a $ 275 nib replacement. I said no thanks.

Sent the pen to a Nibmeister (M-I-W)- no, I sent the pen to an AMAZING nibmeister. No affil, just a huge fan. He was able to repair the nib, and adjust the flow. Forty bucks. Cha-ching. I wish I had taken before and after pics, to show you the amazing fix. There's no crease, or anything. My bent tines came back looking brand spankin' new.

Now, my Solti is one of my favorites, and an absolute dream with which to write. The Montblanc EF is my choice nib- writes a little like a F, thicker than other brands' EF's. Lusciously wet. I also love the Peace Dove pattern on the nib- beautiful.

The Solti EF is a true masterpiece fountain pen for me. A stealth pen. Fun to write with, and avoid the immediate brand recognition by the lay folk. It doesn't have the typical 'Montblanc' look.

I very much enjoy mine. Your friend will do the same, I believe.

You guys have chosen a winner of a parting gift. It is clear that your circle of love is an amazing example of friendship.

Thanks for sharing your review of this awesome pen.

Love,

Joe

Thanks guys. My friends and I are really excited about it, and can't wait to give this to him for a party we're planning for him. It's good the have assurance that this is a good everyday pen from your previous and current experience, he hope that he will leave us with something that can be part of him everyday :)

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

It's a beautiful pen. I especially love the design of the nib. I'm sure your boss will be thrilled.

I've always been curious, why are these called donation pens?

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

@ Yuki - here's a description from the montblanc website on donation pens "By purchasing a Donation Pen, people who appreciate music and fine writing instruments acquire not only an exclusive Limited Edition, but also support the promotion of art and culture with the donation Montblanc makes from every Donation Pen edition."

Today was our manager's last day of work. We watched him walked out of the office for the last time, and it was moving for us to see our colleague taking the next step to a new phase in his life. It didn't really hit us hard until the very last moment.

We wished him the best and it's nice to know I'll have someone to look forward to visiting if I do swing by Alberta.

Edited by Sidestreaker

My link

@ Yuki - here's a description from the montblanc website on donation pens "By purchasing a Donation Pen, people who appreciate music and fine writing instruments acquire not only an exclusive Limited Edition, but also support the promotion of art and culture with the donation Montblanc makes from every Donation Pen edition."

Today was our manager's last day of work. We watched him walked out of the office for the last time, and it was moving for us to see our colleague taking the next step to a new phase in his life. It didn't really hit us hard until the very last moment.

We wished him the best and it's nice to know I'll have someone to look forward to visiting if I do swing by Alberta.

Great review Sidestreaker. One piece of advice: if you ever do decide to visit your ex-boss in Alberta, go in the summer - NOT the winter!!! ;)

very elegant and understated pen :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

@ Yuki - here's a description from the montblanc website on donation pens "By purchasing a Donation Pen, people who appreciate music and fine writing instruments acquire not only an exclusive Limited Edition, but also support the promotion of art and culture with the donation Montblanc makes from every Donation Pen edition."Today was our manager's last day of work. We watched him walked out of the office for the last time, and it was moving for us to see our colleague taking the next step to a new phase in his life. It didn't really hit us hard until the very last moment.We wished him the best and it's nice to know I'll have someone to look forward to visiting if I do swing by Alberta.
Great review Sidestreaker. One piece of advice: if you ever do decide to visit your ex-boss in Alberta, go in the summer - NOT the winter!!! ;)

So I was told. I'm experiencing +45 degree Celsius now, -45 will be 'interesting' in Alberta :)

Wow, nice looking pen, too bad it's not gonna be used...yet :thumbup:

I demonstrated to him on the filling with the piston mechanism with a bottle of ink from my own stash, the EF nib is rather smooth and sharp, and bolder than I thought.

very elegant and understated pen :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Cheers, it was a great joy to see the smile on his face. We were all glad :thumbup:

My link