Fun With Handwriting Practice

pmhudepo

This is one of the best threads I've ever seen here. I'm going to join in soon, but it will only be my regular handwriting. I don't do really fancy stuff like you all. I'm really impressed!

Phone calls last just minutes, emails get deleted, but letters live forever.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pmhudepo

• ihtzazqamar

• GhostShip Blue

• smk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is one of the best threads I've ever seen here. I'm going to join in soon, but it will only be my regular handwriting. I don't do really fancy stuff like you all. I'm really impressed!

Welcome to the thread.

We also post our regular handwriting here. The feed back is good here and we help each other. Participating in this thread gives me enough motivation and reason to practice daily.

Waiting for your post

Ihtzaz

Thanks Doug. Please post a sample. Let us see how it goes.

I have mixed my own ink, just for fun. Took 3 parts royal blue, 2 parts red and 3 part of green. All Pelikan inks. Filled my Sheaffer stub pen and gave it a try. This is what I get.

fpn_1316294622__dsc_9539.jpg

The title line is with a dip pen. The shade is dark as there is more ink on the paper. The paper is new and not good for dip pen. The color comes out to be lighter in my FP. Contrast is also low. I like the color though.

Any idea how to make the color more contrasty? Also I do not know how to name the color?

Regards

Ihtzaz

Ihtzaz: I wonder if you could use a program like Photoshop to get an idea of the resulting colour of mixed inks? Admittedly, a computer display works by emitting light and ink on paper by reflecting it, so this may not work accurately. It might give you some clues and save a little ink.

I've had a super weekend with a group of great people and we had loads of fun. Sailing, sharing meals, talking, more sailing: wonderful! I decided to spend this morning's writing session on a short recap of the weekend. It definitely brought the fun back into writing sessions. Later on, I'll probably return to writing alphabets and working on specific troublesome parts of my handwriting, but for now, I'm enjoying this too much.

fpn_1316430744__wp-20110919-p1070159.jpg

I do not want to mix too many pens and inks on one page, partly because a limited number of variables seems best for practice, but also because the page would become too cluttered. Less is more, to a great extent, I believe.

Patrick

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

Take the clue for naming your ink color from the fashion world! They come up with great, fun (although often not very descriptive) names for colors. Nail polish is a great place to start (at least in the US - as the father of 3 teenage girls, believe me, nail polish color names are great!)

The ink manufacturers aren't too bad either - Purple Mojo, Burgundy Mist...

As for a way to make it more contrasty - add a little black. It will probably shift the color a little, but should create a deeper hue that stands off the white a little more. If you have it, or can get it, one of the green-blacks (Noodler's sold one through one of the wet shaving boards - check in the Ink discussions here).

Practice has been thin on the ground of late for me. Not happy about that.

"If you show us a drunk blonde chick in her underwear, she has to die. That's just how we roll." - I wish I knew who to attribute that to. T'weren't me.

http://rookery9.aviary.com.s3.amazonaws.com/9375500/9375534_752b.png

Ain't great, but it's the best I've got. So far.

Patrick: Good to know that you had a great weekend. I also visited my village on Saturday. Met my brother and sisters. Did one outdoor cooking, had dinner and then I returned. It is only 1 1/2 hrs away, but a village nevertheless.

When I was mixing a green color, I took a clue from RGB palette. It worked reasonably. But this time, I just mixed few shades. I will try to add some black and see what I get. It should be a small addition of black, I gather.

Slowly, slowly, the copperplate effect is taking over my handwriting...more it shows more motivated I am.

Will post after adjusting the ink color to my liking.

Regards

Ihtzaz

So I have been meaning to finally start this but I don't feel like I get to actually practice enough. So here is my start. Mostly just me attempting to work on not gripping to hard and just try and write clear and legibly. You can see some cursive and random flurishy letter attempts. As you can see my cursive sticks due to lack of practice (I swear i used to be able to write it nicely just soo slow) but my perfectionist mind prevents me from using it.

So this is my spot... Yeah its a mess.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/Alpha_Cluster/Writing%20Practice/IMG_20110920_212821.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/Alpha_Cluster/Writing%20Practice/IMG_20110920_212841-1.jpg

And that is my writing. I don't like it right now but its getting better. Mostly I hate how my w's just look like wide u's. Feedback is welcome.

As for the pen its my goto pen (odd as I have a few more expensive pens) which is a Waterman Expert II with Sailor Jentle Epinard ink not my fav but is growing on me.

Hi Alpha_Cluster, very nice to see a writing sample from you. Improving my handwriting has taken (and continues to take) quite a bit of time, but there is progress and feedback on this website, both of which help a lot.

Here's what I found helpful during the past weeks:

1. Daily practice;

2. Guide sheets;

3. Notice posture and grip;

4. Doodling, sketching, exercises;

5. Slow down.

ad. 1 I like morning writing sessions, before breakfast and work. Let some light into the house, make tea, sit down and write. Sometimes writing alphabets, words starting with the same letter, or focusing on problem areas (e.g., my "cl" and "d" were not distinct enough; the ascenders and descenders on "b, h, k, l and g, j" were short and sloppy). May sound boring, but I actually have come to enjoy these sessions.

ad. 2 Guide sheets make it easier to see your faults, inconsistencies. For instance, I think it would help you to achieve a consistent slant in your writing.

ad. 3 For me, a tight grip and a slightly hunched posture were linked to writing -- I have maximum control (but minimum sustainability) that way, particularly when writing small. Relaxing causes my writing to become wobbly, but I feel I will be able to maintain that relaxed state over far longer periods. That is important if I want to continu to journal and write letters. (Which I do.)

As far as the tripod grip goes, this thread and this specific message in a different thread really helped me.

ad. 4 Doodling, sketching etc, for me, are not linked to tight grip and hunched posture. So if I feel I get cramped, I grab a scrap of paper and make some silly, curvy, wavy thingies and slowly inch towards real letters again. Circled letters and various other "silly stuff" in this thread. I get to use my pen, become more familiar with its size, shape, weight, nib sweet spot, without cramping up.

ad. 5 Slowing down might not be good for note-taking, but for practice, who cares? It can take me 30 minutes just to complete one printed guide sheet with beautiful letters (this includes the scrap paper scribbles). I do feel a need to speed things up a little, because at this pace, I won't be able to keep up with my penpals, journaling or use it for note-taking at work. That's a next step for me.

As far as your letter 'w' is concerned, try writing an entire page of them. See examples in this threa and others, and pick a few forms you like. Maybe a sharp form, like on a computer's keyboard or a round form like, well, a pair of buttocks :) Try some, see what fits with the letters you do already like. Write large, write small, write slowly.

Edited by pmhudepo

Hello Alpha_Cluster

Good to see a new sample in the thread. Participate enough and you will see improvements. You may check http://www.iampeth.com/lessons.php . Here you will find standard lessons which are very helpful. The first step in all of them is learning the fundamental pen strokes, like straight lines, circles, ovals, maintaining a consistent height and maintaining a consistent slant.

Slowing down is a must to start. Learn how to 'form' letters. Writing bigger than usual also helps.

etc. etc.

Good luck

ihtzaz

My today's practice sheet.

As suggested, have added some blank ink to my mix. It is a better shade now.

Alpha_Cluster: You may compare my first post in this thread and the following post. You can see the difference. Thanks to the participants of this thread.

Ihtzaz

fpn_1316634475__dsc_9545.jpg

I actually got some French rule notebooks for practice but I always feel odd writing big. Anyone have anything that helped them worry less about the height of there letters? I dont know why but it feels odd writing in wide ruled notebooks.

I actually got some French rule notebooks for practice but I always feel odd writing big. Anyone have anything that helped them worry less about the height of there letters? I dont know why but it feels odd writing in wide ruled notebooks.

On the IAMPETH website you can find lessons and guide sheets.

I am using a guide sheet made by Achim -- you can find it here. It is designed for Spencerian script, so it may not be suited to every script. Quite a bit of slant, and only 13 lines on A4-sized paper.

Wanted to add: with only 13 lines per page, line spacing is huge, but I do think it looks nicer, especially if you want large ascenders and descenders.

fpn_1316692989__wp-before-after.jpg

I'll probably want to end up with something in between the two, with a large enough line spacing to keep descenders from touching the ascenders of the next line.

Some great writing samples here. I'll try to post some of my cursive writing here too.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your samples. I often pick up ideas, either to use as practice or to emulate / integrate into my own writing.

(wrong place.)

Edited by subbes

"Perdita thought, to take an example at random, that things like table manners were a stupid and repressive idea. Agnes, on the other hand, was against being hit by flying bits of other people's cabbage." (Pratchett, T. Carpe Jugulum.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1813132/pride.png

Saw this somewhere last week and captured with my phone camera. Written with my Sheaffer 300...

post-75373-0-60017500-1317047654.jpg

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush