The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Fun With Handwriting Practice

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#181 pmhudepo

pmhudepo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:17

mberman14: thanks for posting that link! I haven't tried that alternative grip just yet, but perhaps during a next session.

So far, the classic tripod grip serves me well, especially with round-tipped nibs that I can use at a slightly lower angle (i.e., a bit more towards the horizontal). Before joining Fountain Pen Network, I just assumed I needed to have thumb and first two fingers all on the section of the pen, but now my grip resembles what troglokev illustrates. Or, pretty much the same: what caliken illustrates in The Tripod (or Triangular) Pen Hold.

Edited by pmhudepo, 07 January 2013 - 09:22.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

Sponsored Content

#182 pmhudepo

pmhudepo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,526 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:45

A recent thread about time spent practising prompted me to sit down this morning and do a few exercises:

Posted Image

I feel I've stayed at roughly the same level of penmanship since May 2012, which is fine considering I've only practised a little every few months since then. During that period I have actually seen an improvement in my daily writing! I suspect it's a result of the all drills I've done and being able to relax and slow down.

#183 gfs2222

gfs2222

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:47

My practice this morning

Posted Image
Current pens: Parker IM Med Modern nib Esterbrook 9550 XF nib Parker 21 Fine nib Chineese Fuguilong 1001 Med nib 3x Liquid Bold Fountain Pens Med nib

#184 pmhudepo

pmhudepo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,526 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 13:46

My practice this morning

Great, thanks for joining this thread!

Are you using a book for your practice? Are you aiming for speed or precision? I find both useful, but for different results. Aiming for speed is a good warming up exercise, helps avoid a cramped hand. Aiming for precision helps bring back some control to my whole arm movement.

Please post some more pictures as you go along.

#185 gfs2222

gfs2222

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2013 - 14:38

My practice this morning

Great, thanks for joining this thread!

Are you using a book for your practice? Are you aiming for speed or precision? I find both useful, but for different results. Aiming for speed is a good warming up exercise, helps avoid a cramped hand. Aiming for precision helps bring back some control to my whole arm movement.

Please post some more pictures as you go along.

Hi thanks :) Defiantly aiming for speed at the moment. I am using the "Champion method of business handwriting" written by Mary L. Champion. A great book for learning this style in my opinion. I'll be sure to upload more of my progress as I go along! :D
Current pens: Parker IM Med Modern nib Esterbrook 9550 XF nib Parker 21 Fine nib Chineese Fuguilong 1001 Med nib 3x Liquid Bold Fountain Pens Med nib

#186 pmhudepo

pmhudepo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,526 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:40

This morning, I decided to concentrate on the basic strokes used to form letters as well as how one combines elements of letters to form others. For instance, the letters i, r and s start with the same upward curve and are all sharp at the top. The letters n, v and y share a similar upward curve, but are round at the top. As far as combining goes, a + j becomes g, or l + n becomes h.

It is perhaps not entirely correct, and I do refer to a textbook every now and then, but these little tricks seem to help to transfer practice skills to daily writing.

Posted Image

Focusing on a swift, light upstroke also helps, especially with finer-nibbed pens than the one I used today.

edit: wrong image

Edited by pmhudepo, 26 February 2013 - 12:41.

#187 pmhudepo

pmhudepo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,526 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:04

I'm sorry, Mr. Mills, I was just having too much to do your drills...

Posted Image

:embarrassed_smile:

#188 slacker.lax

slacker.lax

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:10

I'm sorry, Mr. Mills, I was just having too much to do your drills...

Posted Image

:embarrassed_smile:

Hi.

I am also practicing business writing since almost one year. I shall post pre-chicken-faecal-scatter and post-okay-okay writings here to begin with. :D And I am using E.C Mills too. :D
I was spending my time in a doldrums, I was caught in a cauldron of hate. I felt persecuted and paralysed, I thought that everything else would just wait.

#189 pmhudepo

pmhudepo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,526 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:46

I am also practicing business writing since almost one year. I shall post pre-chicken-faecal-scatter and post-okay-okay writings here to begin with. :D And I am using E.C Mills too. :D

Yes, please do! It's so much more fun if a bunch of people join in, especially so if you've found a nice addition to the regular drills, shapes and letters.

For instance, the best effect sketching or doodling has for me, is a relaxed grip and whole arm movements. I worry less about precise control that way.

#190 ihtzazqamar

ihtzazqamar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2013 - 16:03

Hello. Logged in after a very long time. I am glad to see this thread still active. Will try to participate.

Regards
Ihtzaz

#191 pmhudepo

pmhudepo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,526 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 16:18

Hello. Logged in after a very long time. I am glad to see this thread still active. Will try to participate.

Regards
Ihtzaz

So nice to see you on board again! Looking forward to your contributions.

#192 pmhudepo

pmhudepo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,526 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:54

I'm trying to practise as often as possible, and still prefer a morning session before breakfast. I still find it difficult to transfer skills from practice to daily note-taking, but I do believe that I'm making progress. Instructions, as before, from EC Mills' Modern Business Penmanship.

Posted Image

edit: Montblanc 136 steel EF nib, Parker Quink Blue, cheap but pretty good notebook from local warehouse.

Edited by pmhudepo, 07 April 2013 - 08:55.

#193 dcrosier76

dcrosier76

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:25

Wow! I love looking at everybody's writing. I'm still very new to this, so it
does a lot to inspire me by seeing all of this great writing!

Keep up the great work!!!

#194 pmhudepo

pmhudepo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,526 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:15

I know this is an old topic, but since practice is an ongoing process, I figured one more contribution won't hurt.  "Modern Business Penmanship" by Edward C. Mills is still my go-to book for drills and study of letter forms.  I have been taking a peek at Spencerian (compendium and theory) as well as Ames' Guide to Self Instruction.  I find writing practice a great way to start the day, even if I don't write every day, and my daily note-taking continues to improve, if every so slowly.

I try to move away from drills and exercises, and this morning I decided to copy out the Credo. (I was listening to Bach's Mass in B minor.)

fpn_1391071836__credo-fpn.jpg

Montblanc 244G extra-fine, MB Black ink, Rhodia pad. "Credo": Pilot Parallel 2.4mm, Pilot Green ink. Watching videos of LLoyd Reynolds teaching italic writing is also very interesting and perhaps one day I'll add a nice cursive italic hand to my repertoire.

You can find the materials I mentioned, and much more, on the IAMPETH website, section Rare Books.

#195 Averett

Averett

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2014 - 13:03

If you're not in the mood for sentimentality this morning, then don't read my post. My adventure in handwriting starts during the period of the Civil War. My great-great-great uncle, John Kemp, was a Captain in the Confederacy. When I was in high school, I happened upon copies of his letters that he had written by fireside from various camps. His penmanship was beautiful, without flaw. I was so inspired that I decided I would learn this penmanship. So, after homework was done, (usually), I got out his letters and copied them, and copied and copied and copied again, until I could mimic his writing. I didn't use the writing in school assignments, lest I draw attention to myself. But as time went on, my handwriting became something of a hybrid between his and mine.

Years passed and I forgot all about it. But then I acquired, at very little cost, the antiquated dip pen. As I wrote with it I thought that had John Kemp lived, this is the kind of pen he might have written with. And so once again I began my journey into Spencerian writing.

Every year, I give my family members and close friends poems that I have written for Christmas. Usually they came off of the ink jet printer, but this year they were a project of me, "Old Bess" (as my pen came to be called"), and the spirit of John Kemp. I learned on Christmas Day that in the Battle of the Wilderness he had been shot eight times and cast into a mass grave with 30 other young men. And so those poems were in memory of him. And when I practice my penmanship, it is in memory of him and all the others whose voices were silenced, whether Northern or Southern. It matters not.

If I am able I will attempt to post a picture of "Old Bess" and a sample of my handwriting. It is nothing great. But it is what it is.

Averett

"If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast."--Psalm 139

#196 pmhudepo

pmhudepo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,526 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 13:35

Hello Averett: I'm so glad you joined FPN and shared this story. Please do post a picture of "Old Bess" and your writing. Perhaps even a fragment of a letter from your great-great-great uncle? It would be great to have a bit of inspiration from days long gone, in fact right from the last days of Spencer, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by pmhudepo, 30 January 2014 - 13:36.

#197 Averett

Averett

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2014 - 16:20

Many thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, another member of my family is in possession of those copies, and I don't think I'll see them again in my lifetime! Also, I don't know how to post pictures. I can take pictures with my camera and put them on my computer, but I have not a clue as to how they get onto this thread. Oh, I see a little download icon in the bottom corner. I may succeed yet!

Averett

"If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast."--Psalm 139

#198 Averett

Averett

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2014 - 19:08

I want to post my handwriting samples, and I will, but  feel very humbled by the handwriting samples presented on this thread. They are gorgeous! They are an inspiration to me to take my own handwriting more seriously! Thanks to all!

Averett

#199 pmhudepo

pmhudepo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,526 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:53

Every now and then, I sit down before breakfast and work, and do some practice. Photography is taking up more time lately, but I think I will not soon tire of the simple pleasure of improving my handwriting.  Here's this the result from this morning.

fpn_1395995734__writing-practice-2014032

#200 Scribette98072

Scribette98072

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2014 - 19:03

Beginner learning, with spacing and consistent size being the most challenging. :) I'll post as I improve. Great to find a community like this one!

-Scribette98072

photo 5.jpg

Sponsored Content

|