The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Petite Balance

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tommy

Tommy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:44

A while back, a friend at work showed me a Sheaffer that he inherited from his mother. It was a petite balance in pearl & black. The cutest little pen I ever saw. So when I saw this set on Ebay recently, I bought it. I restored the pen with a new sac and solvent welded a crack in the cap lip. The pencil had some shrinkage; there was a gap between the cap and barrel. I fixed that, and polished them up a bit.

Appearance and Design. 10/10

It doesn't get any better than a vintage balance. In my opinion, they are gorgeous. Even in this miniature size, the proportions and design is perfect. The black celluloid with gold trim is classic.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted Image

Construction and Quality. 8/10

Had to deduct a little for the shrinkage. But I guess that's to be expected in an 80 year old pencil. The crack in the pen's cap lip is somewhat expected too, considering how thin it has to be on a pen this small. All things considered, these were made pretty well to survive this long.

Weight and Dimensions. 4/10

These are really too small to use comfortably. Both the pen and pencil are 4 1/8" capped. Unposted, the pen barrel doesn't even reach the web of my hand. Posted, it's not too bad, but I really don't want to do that with the repaired cap. The pen is only 11.9 grams in weight. I'm not sure who these were targeted to as customers, but anyone with an adult sized hand would find it too small for extended use.

Here's a picture next to it's big brother, an oversized balance. And the picture in my hand gives an idea just how tiny this pen is.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nib and Performance. 8/10

This one is an extra fine with some flex. Normally, I don't like a nib this fine, but this one is pretty smooth and wet, and it feels soft on the paper, due to it's flex. Not enough flex to give much line variation, but definitely not a nail.

Filling System and Maintenance 9/10

Very easy to restore, the lever filler is hard to beat. With a new sac, it still works well. The sac is tiny, but how much ink do you need in a pen this small? I don't plan to use it a whole lot anyway.

Cost and Value 10/10

This set was $22, shipped. You don't see a lot of them come up on Ebay, so I don't know what they generally go for, but I'm sure it's less than the larger balances.

Conclusions 49/6 = 8.1

These are neat little pens from a collector/novelty point of view. They're really too small to be a daily user, but mine writes well. If my last name was Thumb, I'd probably like it a lot more.

Tom

Edited by Tommy, 14 July 2011 - 02:58.

Sponsored Content

#2 Joe in Seattle

Joe in Seattle

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:49

Fun post!