The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Edison Nouveau Premiere Le (#44) Full Review

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Robinhood

Robinhood

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:08

First off I'd like to thank everyone on the forum for being so welcoming, such friendly people here, especially to a rookie like myself :).

Now it's review time! After using the pen for a little bit tonight I wanted to give my first impression review. After a few weeks I'll do an update once the honeymoon stage has worn off, although I don't think that will ever happen with this pen ;).

Appearance & Design (10) – The pen is a bit lighter of a black than I imagined, the swirl of blue and black take on a wood-like appearance. I totally understand what people were saying about different light causing the pen to have a different look to it. I think the Edison logo is brilliant and it sure adds a nice touch to the nib. The grip section of the pen is exactly what I wanted in a pen. After using Lamy's horrid grip on the Al-Star I am so glad that I can place my fingers however I please, but unlike the Wality there is a small notch that your fingers rest nicely in.

Construction & Quality (10) – Brian is an expert craftsman and this pen really shows off his skills as a pen maker, what more can I say.

Weight & Dimensions (10) – The pen is about the same size as my Lamy Al-Star and Wality (see picture below). I guess all my pens are large so I don't have anything smaller to compare it to besides a Pilot V-Pen which I usually use posted. The Edison is definitely a pen I will be using un-posted, which I prefer. It balances wonderfully in the hand and is a joy to write with in that respect.

Nib & Performance (10) – I ordered the Edison with two nibs, a fine and a broad. The fine was already in the pen so that is what I chose to use for the review. Compared to the fine nib in the Wality 69L I have, this pen is a dream. On some cheap rough-textured drawing paper I use for a journal the pen is smooth, on a Rhodia dot pad the pen glides along. The pen has such a nice blend of smoothness with just the slightest feedback to let you know that you are writing, I love that. I am really looking forward to using the broad nib and in the update I'll add some information about that nib too. The ink I used was Noodler's Black which was new to me and I see why everyone loves it. Probably not a good idea using a new ink for the review of a new pen, but I couldn't resist trying that out too.

Filling System & Maintenance (10) - I am not a huge fan of the cartridge converter filling system, but I think that is just my lack of experience filling them so I think it would be unfair of me to score the pen lower based on that. Anyways, the cartridge converter in the Edison is really solid and a step up from the Lamy one I have in the AL-Star. It also looks like it will hold more ink too, but I haven't been able to test this yet.

Cost & Value (10) – At $200 I really think this pen is a steal. Being a limited edition piece like it is I am a little worried to take it anywhere, but I do plan on using it as my daily writer while at home. For school I think I'll use my cheaper pens because loosing the Edison would be like loosing a work of art.

Conclusion (10/10) - I kinda hate giving the first pen I review a perfect score, but this pen truly deserves it. The quality Brian has achieved, especially for pen of this price is incredible, not to mention it was handmade! It is certainly the most enjoyable pen I have to use. My other pens, while decent writers, all have these little quirks about them that bug me. That isn't the case at all with the Edison.

P.S. I didn't want to double post all of the pictures I already put up so if you want to see more pictures of the pen I have some in the other thread I started here (http://www.fountainp...-arrived-today/)

_Z128751.jpg

Edited by Robinhood, 13 July 2011 - 18:33.

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 777

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:52

Very nice review! Thank you for doing it. :)

I've never owned an edison pen though someday, one of those Urushi pearls perhaps... :drool: To bad they were a limited run.

Anyway, my only major gripe with this pen and the reason I wouldn't buy it is simply the shape. I like pens like the the Edison pearl, Pelikan souveran, etc. that have flatter tops/bottoms on them. I'm not a huge fan of sharp pointy design such as this and those found on old sheaffer balances.

That however, is just my 2 cents. (which are worth about nothing... :D )

Enjoy your new pen! The swirl pattern looks lovely!

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

Posted Image

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

#3 Tennessee Dave

Tennessee Dave

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:06

Thanks for the review. I am just getting familiar enough with mine now that I should be able to write my review soon. Initial thoughts are the comments won't be far from yours.
Dave

Thankful for being blessed with a genteel life and wonderful wife

#4 Tiffanyhenschel

Tiffanyhenschel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:15

Please do give us an update about the broad nib, too. I haven't seen anyone write about that. Thanks!
"Life is too big for words, so don't try to describe it. Just live it."
- C.S. Lewis

Posted Image

#5 GouletPens

GouletPens

Write On!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2011 - 13:27

Wow, it's wonderful and affirming to see such a positive review :thumbup: Brian, Rachel, and I are thrilled with how these LE pens turned out.

As for a nib comparison, I have all three Edison nib sizes compared with Lamy nibs here:

Posted Image

#6 Robinhood

Robinhood

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:27

Just a quick update on using the broad nib:

I didn't think I would like a broader nib, but boy was I wrong. Smooth is an understatement. With literally no pressure at all the ink flows beautifully onto the paper, a bit of a wet writer, but it's a broad so what can you expect. I think I see a few more broad pens in my future, lets hope they are all as good as this Edison.
Posted Image

#7 dannyt.33

dannyt.33

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:22

I love it, the cap seems really cool too :thumbup:

#8 GreyThompson

GreyThompson

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2011 - 20:02

I was so tempted to buy that pen, but instead went with a Lamy 2000.

It looks amazing and I'm glad you're happy with it! I'm sure it would be added to my meagre collection before long... if it wasn't for that damn "limited" nature of its production haha!

Cheers,

- Grey

#9 usnavydoc

usnavydoc

Pen Enthusiast

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2011 - 20:19

My wallet has just gotten lighter after reading your review. :crybaby:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image