Fp Friendly Steno Pads

I'm looking for a reasobaly priced Steno pad thats FP friendly. I searched and found this thread Field Notes Steno pad , while I'm sure its nice, and I've used Field Notes pads before I'm looking for something I can perhaps find at Staples, Office Depot, or a Target (and thats not 9.95$ a pad). A perfect example is I find Tops brand index cards to be pretty FP friendly and I can find them at Target.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks, Al

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnS-MI

• WanderingAuthor

• desdedez

• effika

There's some Norcom pads, which would work well as steno pads, available at the dollar store. Being in Mexico, I'm not sure which of the American dollar stores have them, but they are good, except they don't have a spiral

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I'm looking for a reasobaly priced Steno pad thats FP friendly. I searched and found this thread Field Notes Steno pad , while I'm sure its nice, and I've used Field Notes pads before I'm looking for something I can perhaps find at Staples, Office Depot, or a Target (and thats not 9.95$ a pad). A perfect example is I find Tops brand index cards to be pretty FP friendly and I can find them at Target.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks, Al

I picked up a New Leaf recycled steno pad recently at Staples and it's been playing quite nicely with my fountain pen so far, no feathering, though it does show a bit on the opposite side of the page. I'm using PR Black Cherry which is a strong color though, so it may depend on your ink. I'm not sure what the price was, but it was almost certainly nothing near $9.

It's made in the US, 100% recycled, 6x9 inches, wide rule, 80 sheets, and produced under license by Top Flight. Hope that helps.

Ampad. Look for Ampad steno pads. I've always had good luck with those.

There are others... but how FP friendly they are depends on the inks you use. Ampad aren't the cheapest pads out there, but they aren't all that expensive.

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Gold & Brown Onoto Magna (1937-40)

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

Esterbrook Blue-Copper Marbled Relief 2-L

the Wandering Author

• 4 weeks later...

Sparco steno pads come in both Gregg and Pittman ruling, and in multiple colors. We have them at work and I like them well enough. The only problem is that the paper is quite thin, so while there's no bleed-through I tend not to use both sides. (I use both sides if it's for personal use, like telephone notes. However meeting notes often get passed around, so I just use one side for that.)

Quick Google search shows they're about a dollar each, and available in multi-packs at a discount.

I have an Ampad Gold Fibre Steno Book #20-809 which I like. No (or minimal) feathering with a variety of inks. I've even done a few "roll calls" where I write a line with each pen currently inked. It doesn't seem very ink-sensitive, works with everytghing I've tried

However, the paper is relatively thin. I use dark, saturated inks and it is best used one-side as there is show-through.

I love steno books for notes. If you find anything better, please report back.

I have been using for a few years now this one from Staples:

Staples Steno book (cover is cardboard in dark mustard color with a black horizontal stripe at the bottom)

80 Pages

Gregg Ruled

Green tint

6x9" - 152x299mm

(pack of 12 books)

Made in Indonesia

I was not able to find it in their site, but last time I visited one of their stores could see plenty.

I have never noticed any feathering or bleeding with perhaps three dozen different inks over the last 4-5 years. I tend to write more often with fine and extra-fine nibs though. The paper is also quite smooth.

• 5 years later...