Lamy Blue-Black - Plan To Reformulate Bottled Ink

Sandy1

Hi,

Lamy Germany was recently asked about the ferro-gallic / iron-gall content of their Blue-Black inks. I was kindly informed that the bottled ink is planned to be reformulated as a colour component based ink without f-g/i-g content.

Believe it or not, I was not so cheeky as to ask when the change was planned or the rationale, but I did request Lamy to provide some advance notice, and a simple means to differentiate between the inks.

Even though Lamy Blue-Black with i-g is not a personal favourite, I am dismayed when the choice of inks may be diminished, especially i-g inks which are few in number.

I have fingers crossed that Lamy will not enact their plan. Perhaps Lamy could be encouraged to continue production of BlBk ink with f-g/i-g content, and add a bottled colour component based ink to their product range.

Bye,

S1

____

Note: Even though I mentioned to Lamy that the RFI was made in preparation for an Ink Review on FPN, I did not request specific permission to quote and/or attribute to a named person. I have no reason to doubt the credibility of the source/s and/or information so generously provided. A link to this Topic was sent to Lamy.

Link: A glimpse of the future-present: Review of colour component Lamy Blue-Black in T10 cartridges: LINK

------

EDIT - To add:

Lamy address: C. Josef Lamy GmbH, Grenzhöfer Weg 32, D-69123 Heidelberg

Lamy email form (English language): LINK

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• gmrza

• The Good Captain

• ErrantSmudge

Well, bummer. I'm fortunate that I can get it locally and I see I'll need to get another bottle ASAP.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Well, I'll need to get a couple bottles, then... :ninja:

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

I have e-mailed my comment that they should desist with this nonsensical idea immediately!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I for one will also be disappointed about the iron gall ink disappearing. Generally iron gall inks are very well behaved on lousy paper.

Maybe I should stock up....

EDIT: I have now emailed Lamy....

Edited by gmrza

snip Did they give a reason why?

Hi,

No reason was given; and I do not care to speculate.

I thought it was quite amazing that Lamy informed me of plans to change their product line!

Bye,

S1

Thx for the heads-up S1!

I am now in full-fledged panic mode. Lamy Blue-Black (bottle) is my No. 1 ink... yikes.

I will admit to feeling a bit of schadenfreude when it was announced the wonderful Pelikan Blue-Black would no longer be available in North America. I thought well, I can still get it here in the the UK, and at least I have my Lamy.

Ha! I am now paying my karmic debt.

Will send a snail-mail letter & email to Lamy.

Thanks for the big tip. I'm off on my bike in the pouring rain to buy the last stock out of the nearest store.

Bore! http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/Sick32.png

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thx for the heads-up S1!

snip

Ha! I am now paying my karmic debt.

Hi,

You're welcome.

I reckon your inky karma is intact. However, if Lamy goes ahead, I shudder to think of the impact on their inky karma.

I wrote Santa about this, so he's watching too ...

Bye,

S1

HURRY, EVERYONE!Flood them with emails and snail-mail of discontent! THEY MUST change their minds!!!!!! :gaah: :bawl:

trpofapprobal.png

Just ordered several bottles of Lamy Blue-black from JetPens. I should be all set with plenty of iron gall ink for when the zombie apocalypse comes now... :ninja:

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

I sent an email to discourage the reformulating. I will follow up with a letter, and I encourage everyone else that sent an email to do the same, written with one of my Lamy fountain pens using Lamy bottled Blue-Black. Email is email, but I think a letter written with bottled Blue-Black would drive the message home better.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

snip a letter written with bottled Blue-Black would drive the message home better.

... Agreed! Use of Lamy Green or Blue may not convey the full message.

S1

And this happens right after I discovered and loved this ink. I have 4 bottles, and no. They're not enough.

Juan

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to stock up now on the iron gall version! Wonder why they thought a reformulation was necessary?

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to stock up now on the iron gall version! Wonder why they thought a reformulation was necessary?

I would hazard a guess that this is because of the fact that iron gall inks are somewhat acidic, and may

be accused of corroding parts of some pens. That said, a great deal of pens nowadays are made of plastics,

which are probably not severely impacted by mild acids (although they can be affected more by bases).

I wonder if Lamy are finding that iron gall ink is affecting their stainless steel nibs?

I would hazard a guess that this is because of the fact that iron gall inks are somewhat acidic, and may

be accused of corroding parts of some pens. That said, a great deal of pens nowadays are made of plastics,

which are probably not severely impacted by mild acids (although they can be affected more by bases).

I wonder if Lamy are finding that iron gall ink is affecting their stainless steel nibs?

So far I haven't seen anything corrode on my Vista nib, but I guess others may have different experiences. It really is too bad that they would completely discontinue it though, as they could always sell both iron-gall and non-iron gall blue-black ink bottles.

And I rather disliked the colour of their blue-black ink cartridges, so I hope they're not simply bottling that stuff!