The Cadet 23 That Was Not

Paul Raposo

Hey all.

After doing some online research, and reading a link provided by jar, I became more aware of the inexpensive Sheaffer Tip-Dip Touchdown pens, namely the Craftsman and Cadet lines.

So while in another city on work, I took my lunch break in an antique mall. In the far back of the mall, past the canteen serving fried chicken, french fries, cheeseburgers, and many other greasy delicacies that have killed stronger men than I; in a dusty corner, within a display of various kitsch, memorabilia and plain ol' junk, I saw it; powder blue, gold clip, gold wire band--a Cadet 23!

I cautiously sought out a shop employee to open the display, well aware that the pen mafia was hot on my heels, desperate to lay eyes upon the grail that had hither too only been spoken of in hushed tones, never to be seen by mortal eyes.

I cradled the pen in my hand, the light weight of the injection molded, solid colour plastic felt reassuring in it's slightness. The pastel blue was near mint, a few blemishes from sitting, but nothing untoward. Several decades of sticker residue, and some dust covered the barrel, and cap. The clip and wire were tarnished, but intact.

I carefully unscrewed the cap, and gazed at the nib. Solid gold, and marked 23! I casually handed then pen back to the shop employee, and muttered, "Yeah, I'll take that." Upon payment of $12, I hustled myself out the door, knowing I had for only the third time in my life, chanced upon something unique, rare and special, at an absurdly low price.

Work seemed to drag on, until I could get home. When finally arriving home, I set the pen down, and went about my usual after work routine, keeping my new acquisition as an after dinner treat.

I grabbed my loupe to gaze upon the 14k gold nib, to revel in the rarity of a pen, that until yesterday, I didn't even know existed. I brought the nib close, my eyes focused and I read aloud, "SHEAFFER'S MADE IN CANADA 14K 585 33". Thirty-three?

What fresh hell is this?

I searched the rest of the pen, the barrel read SHEAFFER'S-MADE IN CANADA I spied some other lettering, and scratching the sticker residue away, I saw some gold capitalized lettering that read, CRAFTSMAN MEDIUM 395

And so my world became clearer.

I googled until I became confused. I accepted. It was an interesting pen, but not the rarity I had hoped.

I set about cleaning the pen. Disassembling the pen presented an intact rubber vacuum sac. I dipped the pen into some clear water, operating the vacuum, and the water ran clear--un-inked in all these years. I began cleaning the decades of glue residue. I used naptha and the gummy substance fell away. To add further insult, I carelessly wiped away the gold lettering, indicating model, nib size, and price. A mint condition pen, was now near mint. A piece of history that stood the test of time, passing through untold number of hands, and one man's carelessness had torn asunder that legacy.

So here I sit, looking upon the Cadet 23 that was not. It's a lovely pen, a pleasing shade of blue. The gold clip, wire, and nib now gleaming after a cleaning with a Cape Cop polishing cloth. The barrel, although lost of it's original declaration and price, was free of sticky glue residue, and glimmering, with a deep lustre brought on by age, rather than mishandling.

And so ends my tale. But cry no tears for me, dear friends. A rare pen is a thing to behold, a treasure to regale friends with exciting tales of hunting, searching, and the sweeping up of rare antiquities. And so is the future of this Craftsman medium nibbed pen. And repeat this story I will, to friends, and well wishers, because, to paraphrase Albert Camus; One must imagine Paul happy.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Happy Harry

• mariom

• Paul Raposo

• jar

Okay, some info.

The 395 was not a model number but rather the retail price point. It sold when new for $3.95.

So what you have is a Craftsman, made in Canada, Medium point that retailed for $3.95 when new.

You done good.

Okay, some info.

The 395 was not a model number but rather the retail price point. It sold when new for $3.95.

Hi, jar.

I gathered that when I saw the impression. The three was written large, with the 95 in half the type size, with a line underneath. I'm not sure about America, but that was a common format when pricing items here in Canada. In English speaking Canada, we write prices with a decimal like in America:

$3.95

In Quebec, they write prices with a comma like in Europe:

$3,95

So I think the underscore was compromise for all of Canada.

I thought it interesting that the info was printed on the barrel. And I was disappointed when I realized I had wiped it away with the naptha.

You done good.

That's good to know! I didn't think it was as special as the Cadet 23, but it's good to know I came out ok in the end.

By the way--what's your opinion on using pure silicone on the o-ring, and threads of the feed section, when screwed back into the grip?

I read in another thread here that this creates a tighter seal when inking the pen.

Edited by Paul Raposo

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

Paul's Pens

Okay, some info.

Hi, jar.

I gathered that when I saw the impression. The three was written large, with the 95 in half the type size, with a line underneath. I'm not sure about America, but that was a common format when pricing items here in Canada. In English speaking Canada, we write prices with a decimal like in America:

$3.95

In Quebec, they write prices with a comma like in Europe:

$3,95

So I think the underscore was compromise for all of Canada.

I thought it interesting that the info was printed on the barrel. And I was disappointed when I realized I had wiped it away with the naptha.

It was meant to wipe away, referred to as a Grease Mark or Chalk Mark.

You done good.

That's good to know! I didn't think it was as special as the Cadet 23, but it's good to know I came out ok in the end.

By the way--what's your opinion on using pure silicone on the o-ring, and threads of the feed section, when screwed back into the grip?

I read in another thread here that this creates a tighter seal when inking the pen.

The Touchdown Craftsman 33 was also a pretty rare duck, only made for a few years in the early 50s IIRC.

Using a good silicone on the threads and o-rings is a good idea although IIRC Sheaffer used a wax based product originally. But I certainly could be wrong.

It was meant to wipe away, referred to as a Grease Mark or Chalk Mark.

I thought it was meant to be permanent. I'm still disappointed at my carelessness, but I'm glad it wasn't something meant to remain.

The Touchdown Craftsman 33 was also a pretty rare duck, only made for a few years in the early 50s IIRC.

Ok, I read the Richard's Pens link wrong, then. I got the impression the Craftsman 33's were pretty common. I hadn't taken into consideration the Touchdown aspect. Also being a Tip-Dip must help.

Using a good silicone on the threads and o-rings is a good idea although IIRC Sheaffer used a wax based product originally. But I certainly could be wrong.

I wish I had read the thread before inking the other Craftsman we talked about. Any risk of the silicone becoming gummy, and making removing the nib section difficult in years to come?

I'm pretty sure I won't be inking this Craftsman 33, since I don't use FP's very often, (ballpoint man,) so I don't like having the few pens I own inked if they won't be used.

I will however be posting some pics when I get my camera back.

Edited by Paul Raposo

Paul's Pens

I wouldn't worry too much about the silicone.

Also, please remember that I'm old and relying mostly on my oft failed memory, but I did not think that there were any "585 33" Tip Dips, I thought all the Tip Dip pens were steel nibs. I could well be wrong though.

Also, please remember that I'm old and relying mostly on my oft failed memory, but I did not think that there were any "585 33" Tip Dips, I thought all the Tip Dip pens were steel nibs. I could well be wrong though.

Good to know about the silicone. If I do use it, how would I apply it--light coating, or thick; both sides, one side only? A lot of questions, I know, but I've never gotten so involved in fountain pens like I have this week.

I'm fairly certain I won't be inking the Craftsman we discussed in the other thread again, but not because I don't like it. I'll explain why when I post the pics.

Looking at the Craftsman 585 33, it does have a Tip-Dip feed in the tip, (oddly enough). Maybe it's a Canadian market thing?

My sister is back from her vacation on Saturday, and when I get my camera back, I'll post some pics in a new thread of both Craftsman pens.

Paul's Pens

I've also got an example of this thing, and it's definitely a TipDip. I wonder if anyone has a catalogue from 1955 or so, giving us a better sense of what the Maldon/Goderich production was and where it strayed from US specs.

:hmm1: ...did someone not have an Australian example of the same sort of thing posted here a while back? Perhaps the whole Commonwealth thought craftsmen should be honoured with gold.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

You are mistaken there are a few gold nibbed tip dips, here is a fun read of a link about the pen. http://penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferTipDip.htm

The Pen Is Mightier than the sword.

• 4 years later...

You are mistaken there are a few gold nibbed tip dips, here is a fun read of a link about the pen. http://penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferTipDip.htm

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm seeking clarification on the ID of a pen which I've recently acquired.

The sage green pen is exactly like the description of the Cadet "23" in the PenHero link above, down to the interchangeable tip-dip, except that the 14k nib is stamped with a "33" rather than a "23". The pen is marked "Made in Australia", so I'm not sure if this is some sort of frankenpen, or whether the Australian arm of Sheaffer was using different nibs from the North American parent.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on the matter.

Edited by mariom
=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Sage green would be uncommon for a Cadet 23, not a listed color. A 33 nib indicates a Craftsman as well. I doubt there's sufficient available knowledge to answer your question definitively but I seem to recall seeing Aust. marked 33 nibs with metal cap pens. What exactly does the imprint say? This changed over time and helps differentiate between early and later pens. Does the nib say Aust.? Anyway a picture would be beneficial.

Sage green would be uncommon for a Cadet 23, not a listed color. A 33 nib indicates a Craftsman as well. I doubt there's sufficient available knowledge to answer your question definitively but I seem to recall seeing Aust. marked 33 nibs with metal cap pens. What exactly does the imprint say? This changed over time and helps differentiate between early and later pens. Does the nib say Aust.? Anyway a picture would be beneficial.

Looks like the color is more likely Pastel Green. I have a TM Snorkel - also Australian made - in exactly the same color.

The imprinrt reads

MADE IN AUSTRALIA

W.A. SHEAFFER PEN CO

AUST PTY LTD

The nib reads

SHEAFFER's

http://g3.img-dpreview.com/FF31AA555E134A38AC9EB35C5705DF9B.jpg

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Yes pastel green. I lean to the cap having been replaced. Several reasons, the nib has no country imprint and early nibs used in Aust. pens didn't carry an imprint so it's more likely the nib is early. An early nib (~'53) in a later pen (~62) is less likely. Lastly, when I checked mine from the Cadet 23 era ( a 23 and a Craftsman 52 ) neither carried a barrel imprint where as my early pens do. Still it's entirely possible it's just a replacement nib from an old pen !!

This is the Canadian Craftsman I was mentioning all those years ago:

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Sheaffer-0037.jpg

I'm pretty sure that all the body components are original, and I renew that old wish for the appearance of a Canadian catalogue, to which I add an Australian one to somewhat reduce speculation. I've seen a couple of other Australian-made pens which were reticent to put nationality on the point (replacement, obscure policy, or...?); this one admits to being from Canada, and I also notice that it lacks the heart-shaped breather one sees at in the steel-point Cadets, but that might be as variable as the cap material in these non-US models.

I also recall having seen in some thread here steel-capped CND and AUS versions closer to the US standard, so I'm not here to contradict Harry-- just to make for as much upset and confusion as Sheaffer collecting is meant to produce :rolleyes:

Ravensmarch Pens & Books

That makes sense Ernst, so this pen would have followed on from the wire band TD Craftsman/Admiral (??) making it an early tip dip pen (?) and presumably short lived as a model. I've seen the 33 nib on these before, maybe I was just imagining a metal cap !! Time to have a look...

Amazing what turns up when you look..same nib on a TD Craftsman. Probably the earliest Aust. produced pen along side the Cadet 23 and Craftsman 52. The reason I believe no country on the nib is it's American made, many Aust. ( if not all) marked nibs are , I believe, Fort Madison made.

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1615.JPG

The cap appears to be the correct fit, and shows appreciable wear commensurate with age. Sadly, the cap has numerous small cracks starting at the rim and reaching to and in some cases past the band. The band looks like it's keeping everything in place though, and there doesn't appear to be any movement in the cracks, even when the cap is posted.

In all respects the pen appears identical to the 23 shown at the end of this article - http://penhero.com/P...afferTipDip.htm - except for the nib being a 33.

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Amazing what turns up when you look..same nib on a TD Craftsman. Probably the earliest Aust. produced pen along side the Cadet 23 and Craftsman 52. The reason I believe no country on the nib is it's American made, many Aust. ( if not all) marked nibs are , I believe, Fort Madison made.

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1615.JPG

The nib on my pen is identical to the first one shown.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sheaffer only assembled pens in Australia. It probably had something to do with import taxes and duties on complete pens being significantly higher than on parts.

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Well it appears Ernst is correct and your pen came that way. I'd still suspect an early tip dip , sort of '53/54 rather than the '62 odd for the 23.

That seems reasonable.

...and something that just struck me as I was about to go off on a non sequitur-- colour-matched sections. Mine has it, Harry's has it, but Mario's doesn't. In Snorkels it suggests later production, if memory serves, and perhaps that also has some reflection in the shape of the breather hole on Mario's vs. the other two.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books