Help With Mabie Todd Please

Hello Again,

Now this pen is one that is in need of a service, the lever is very stiff and so it could be a couple of things.

Nevertheless, I bought this(from ebay)for my partner because I thought that she would like to use it. Unfortunately I thought that it was working fine, and secondly my partner wasn't too keen. I thought about selling it on, but decided to keep it, and this rekindled my interest in FPs :thumbup:

I've not yet managed to pin it down exactly as to how old it is, or what the barrel is, but I think it's probably 1920s and gold-filled.

On the barrel is inscribed

'Swan Pen' Mabie Todd & CO New York

Made in USA

The nib reads

Mabie Todd

&Co

NY

Any ideas would be very much appreciated

Also, anyone have any ideas as to how I can find out what the problem is without sending it off? If I can save a few ££ then I'll be happy.

Thanks

Mario

post-71291-0-24912600-1309291878.jpg

post-71291-0-94454300-1309291956.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chunya

• carlc

• Shangas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's commendable you want to sort this out yourself (at least to a complete klutz like me) but have a look at Eckiethump's website - you may be pleasantly surprised by his prices - no affiliation just a satisfied customer.

His website is here

Nice pen BTW.

Carl

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

It's commendable you want to sort this out yourself (at least to a complete klutz like me) but have a look at Eckiethump's website - you may be pleasantly surprised by his prices - no affiliation just a satisfied customer.

His website is here

Nice pen BTW.

Carl

I'm always open for a challenge .. but thank you, Carl, I'll look at Eckiethump's site (Yorkshire by any chance? )

His website is here

Nice pen BTW.

Carl

I'm always open for a challenge .. but thank you, Carl, I'll look at Eckiethump's site (Yorkshire by any chance? )

Edinburgh actually, but it would seem likely that he's originally from the wrong side of the Pennines (I'm an ex-Mancunian).

:rolleyes: I live in Derbyshire mmmmm.... rright side or wrong side? :ltcapd:

Midlands (ducks and hides).

ETA: Jealous of the Peaks though - used to bike there form Manc as a teenager.

Edited by carlc

:rolleyes: I live in Derbyshire mmmmm.... rright side or wrong side? :ltcapd:

Midlands (ducks and hides).

ETA: Jealous of the Peaks though - used to bike there form Manc as a teenager.

Hi Carl,

I'm lucky to have the Peaks almost on my doorstep, and I'd love to cross the threshold one day!

Thanks for that link! I e-mailed Eric and he got straight back to me with a very reasonable figure. BTW, he's from Edinburgh, born and bred, and I won't divulge where the Eckiethump comes from!

Thanks again

Mario

It's a 1920s gold-filled vest-pocket fountain pen, meant for a man's double-albert watch-chain. I would stake my collection on that classification.

Edited by Shangas

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

It's a 1920s gold-filled vest-pocket fountain pen, meant for a man's double-albert watch-chain. I would stake my collection on that classification.

Hi Shangas,

Thanks for the post, I've learnt something today. I'd never heard of vest-pocket pens until your posting, so I looked them up. Came across this:

Ringtop fountain pens were common for only a very short period of time, from the 1900s up until the end of the 1920s and they were marketed (and manufactured) for both men and women. It’s easy to tell the difference between men’s and women’s pens purely from their lengths. Women’s pens were longer (four inches or more); they were worn with a chain or a ribbon around the neck, like a necklace. Men’s ringtop pens are significantly smaller, generally being no longer than about three and a half inches.

http://scheong.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/pen-profile-vest-pocket-fountain-pens/

Mine measures a fraction over 4" with the ring top.... But your collection is safe with me ;)

ps just came across one of your posts when you advise someone on their silver vest-pocket pen, and you give the same info.

Edited by chunya

His website is here

Nice pen BTW.

Carl

Hi Carl,

I got the pen back today ... superfast and Eric did an absolutely brilliant job on it, so many thanks for that link! :thumbup:

Eric also provided a run down on the pen, condition etc. which was all very positive, and he also thinks that it is one of the earlier models, a 1910s rather than a 1920s.

I shall certainly be using him again.

Again, many thanks

Mario

His website is here

Nice pen BTW.

Carl

Hi Carl,

I got the pen back today ... superfast and Eric did an absolutely brilliant job on it, so many thanks for that link! :thumbup:

Eric also provided a run down on the pen, condition etc. which was all very positive, and he also thinks that it is one of the earlier models, a 1910s rather than a 1920s.

I shall certainly be using him again.

Again, many thanks

Mario

He's good isn't he!