The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy Dialogue 3

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dan308

Dan308

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2011 - 18:02

Hi Everyone.
My first post, but felt strongly enough about my experience with this pen that I signed up just to put this out there.

I have somewhere close to a hundred fountain pens, and the Lamy Studio in EF is still my favourite for everyday use. It disappeared from my office a few months ago (just ordered another a few days ago) and I purchased the Dialogue 3 EF as a replacement thinking that it would be a great pen to write notes with during business meetings as it is much easier to close between 20 minute periods of non-use. Here is what I found with the pen:

The Nib
Overall I was rather disappointed actually. Although the nib had a nice amount of flexibility and flowed nicely once working, it had a very sharp edge at a particular angle that would require grinding. Thankfully, this sharp spot was around 10o off normal writing position. Also the nib was very heavily oblique (extra fine nib) and has nearly twice the stroke width horizontal as it does vertical. Also, I found that I often had to work to get the pen flowing when I picked it up.

Engineering
The mechanism when clean is simply a work of marvel. It really is. Very solid completion of open / close. However, I have had the pen for approximately five weeks and have had to clean the pen twice to return it to normal function. In my experience, any fountain is going to leak at slightly into the cap over a period of time if you are carrying in any fashion; briefcase, shirt pocket etc. With this pen, that slight amount of leakage is enough to gum up the mechanism, making it impossible to open or close until it has been cleaned. Also, the large body of the pen does make it somewhat uncomfortable and tiresome during extended periods of writing despite the fact that I have rather large hands. It really is like writing with a cigar—which incidentally a few people have mistaken the pen for when it is in my shirt pocket.

Given it's price, if it weren't such an interesting design I would very much consider selling it—which is something I have never before done with any of my pens. I am very much looking forward to receiving my Studio replacement.

Edited by Dan308, 26 June 2011 - 18:04.

Sponsored Content

#2 mer6

mer6

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2011 - 18:27

The mechanism when clean is simply a work of marvel. It really is. Very solid completion of open / close. However, I have had the pen for approximately five weeks and have had to clean the pen twice to return it to normal function. In my experience, any fountain is going to leak at slightly into the cap over a period of time if you are carrying in any fashion; briefcase, shirt pocket etc. With this pen, that slight amount of leakage is enough to gum up the mechanism, making it impossible to open or close until it has been cleaned. Also, the large body of the pen does make it somewhat uncomfortable and tiresome during extended periods of writing despite the fact that I have rather large hands. It really is like writing with a cigar—which incidentally a few people have mistaken the pen for when it is in my shirt pocket.

Given it's price, if it weren't such an interesting design I would very much consider selling it—which is something I have never before done with any of my pens. I am very much looking forward to receiving my Studio replacement.

I found this to be a major problem as well, in addition to the skipping nature that mine ran into towards it's EOL. I just ebayed it for ~$165. I decided it wasn't worth my trouble even though I love the design and weight so much.

#3 FlatCactus

FlatCactus

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2011 - 13:07

I found the same with my ef nib, but found that the clip helps line it up perfectly with the sweet spot. I also gave it about half a dozen swipes just to take the excess sharpness off, now its even better. Best nib I own, period, even for my left handedness.

I've only cleaned it once in the entire 2.5 months I've had it and it comes to school and gets jostled in my pocket everyday. I've also found the weight, length and thickness a non issue for my medium-small hands and the balance is perfect, counteracting the weight and making it almost carry itself.

The only issue I have with it is when I leave it sitting for about a day straight it puts down a VERY highly saturated line for a couple of letters. (when filled with highly saturated Visconti blue. No apparent problems with noodlers black or J'Herbin Vert Empire)

When I first got it I found I had to visually check to see if the lines were 'lined' up to make sure it was fully closed.

I'm sorry to hear that this wasn't the pen for you. I hope you enjoy your new studio as much as the old one!

-John

#4 Dan308

Dan308

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2011 - 00:34

Hi John.

It's odd to hear about you having to "inspect" the pen to be sure it's closed. Mine has a very positive feel when it hits the full open and close positions. No problem there at all. I'm curious if that would change with a good cleaning as that open / close "feel" is the first thing that goes when the mechanism gets gummed up on mine. I suppose you would have noticed that though out of the box.

#5 FlatCactus

FlatCactus

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:16

Hi John.

It's odd to hear about you having to "inspect" the pen to be sure it's closed. Mine has a very positive feel when it hits the full open and close positions. No problem there at all. I'm curious if that would change with a good cleaning as that open / close "feel" is the first thing that goes when the mechanism gets gummed up on mine. I suppose you would have noticed that though out of the box.

Sorry, I obviously didn't make myself clear enough.

When I first got it I had to check when it was closed as I had a habit of over turning it and unscrewing the barrel. It does have a very solid feel when it locked in place.

-John

Sponsored Content

|