Waterman Phileas Fountain Pen

alxn88

For what its worth, I just saw they have the Harley Davidson fountain pen, which I assume is the Phileas, for $15 on overstock.com

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• padams2359

• Monophoto

• GOB Bluth

• bluemagister

Oh, they have the Harleys for $15? I think it is a cool looking pen. Would be great starter for my 14 year old son. If he can keep track of that, then I will get him a better pen later. He goes off to school, and needs to start writing back to family and friends that send him care packages. As far as the Phileas, I keep Waterman Blue/Black in it. Always the one I grab when I have to sign something. As you know, any legal document needs to be signed in Blue so that you can spot a scan. As long as it was not scanned and printed from a high end device.

1 Homo Sapien BA Maxi & Mech Pencil, HS Misnight in Florence, 2 Van Goghs 1 Blue Ocean Midi S Nib/1 Cappuccino Midi 14k Trim, 3 MBs 149/144/221, 2 Wm Phileas 1 Blue w/ mech pencil, 1 Demo, 1 Snorkel Sent., 3 MVs Regatta/Invincia/Artista,2 EB J - BSP,I am Not Affiliated with any website, company or product I might mention on this site."

• 3 years later...

And waht is the fair price of the phileas right now?

I had two for a while, then in January 2014 I lost my favorite one. (red marbled, fine nib) When trying to find a replacement I saw some ridiculous prices (approaching $200). I am aware of one right now available for $72 US. I would considering that not great but decent. (I paid about $4 less for a Pelikan M205 recently) But the Pelikan is a current production pen, the Phileas is discontinued. I paid about $50 for both of mine.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Anyone know for sure, does the harley nib fit the phileas body?

I have a phileas, but it has a disturbing crack in the nib.

Like everyone else it was an early pen for me.

It followed two Parker Vectors.

I like that pen, and people always seem to think it is expensive.

What followed:

Pelikan M200

Esterbrooks

too many vintage sheaffers

a waterman expert

a waterman 52 1/2 v with a flex nib

lots of pelikans in the m800 series

monthly packs of pilot varsities

sigh.

I'm sure there's more.

Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.

The Phileas is a very good starter pen for those entering the hobby. I have had three of them, but have since sold them all as I found I no longer used them after I had better pens.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

It was a very good starter pen, but not a $100 starter pen: there are better options today.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

List price used to be about $50. $100???? Wow...

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I own a black Phileas and it is a great EDC pen. I'd encourage you to try it out if you can pick up a reasonably priced one.

My Phileas has a smooth M nib and is a wet writer. I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon.

I have a few of them and They are pleasant to write with. I put an 18K extra fine nib from the Waterman L'etalon in one and it is really nice. That does make it a hundred dollar pen, though.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Growing up my father used to give those out as corporate gifts. I actually never wrote with one... I'll have to see if he still has any lying around.

A Phileas was one of my first fountain pens about 20 years ago. I found the pen highly dependable and I liked it a lot.

• 4 years later...

I just dug up my 3 Waterman Phileas fountain pens after a good 10 year rest. Quick rinse of the nibs in warm water and filled with Waterman Intense Black Ink.

I'd forgotten how good they are. Wonderfully smooth, skip-free and non scratchy. IIRC, I paid around £15-20 for each one.

I would definitely recommend this pen. It served me well at work, but these days I rarely have a need to write (even shopping lists go on my smart 'phone).

I have a marbled green, black and a demonstrator (clear).

I'm going to think about how to start a paragraph with a letter other than 'I'.

I hope I can.

I edited this post because my spell-check changed 'marbled green to 'marbled tree'.

Edited by garygary