Review - Pilot - Blue-Black

corniche

Greetings all,

After this ink was reviewed by Sandy, I had to give it a try for myself; I loved the color. After using the ink for a few days, I have to say my preliminary opinion of Pilot blue-black is a favorable one. The color is a classic blue-black hue; however, with a slight hint of purple, I think. The ink's characteristics are clearly outlined in my review below, so I won’t bore you with the same information twice.

However, there are a few things I’d like to point out; first, Pilot bb comes with a great bottle design and a generous supply of ink- a 70ml supply with a built-in filler funnel. Two, I love the color; it has a certain, muted vintage look to it yet it isn’t “washed out” like Pilot’s standard blue or Quink's Washable Blue.

Finally, this is one of the few inks I’ve run across that I would classify as a universal ink; most inks get bounced right off the bat because they are hemophiliac in nature, i.e., “bleeders,” so they would be of little benefit to students who need to write on both sides of the page in their notebook or “blue book.” Others get bounced for color, poor performance, etc. However, I think Pilot blue-black would be at home in any environment, (except maybe wet ones- see below).

This brings me to its two shortcomings- it is not a shady ink and it is quite hydrophobic. Water makes it flee the scene quicker than a police raid in the red light district. However, if you can get past these two problems- you’ll find yourself a great little ink in Pilot’s blue-black. So, if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post them.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff449/quinkkid/PilotBlue-Black1.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff449/quinkkid/PilotBlue-black2.jpg

All the best,

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corniche

• Lloyd

• Lamyrada

• AndyYNWA

Try a better water test. Unless they changed the formulation, this ink is quite water resistant for me and several other members. Some will wash away but it is definitely usable for envelopes.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Try a better water test. Unless they changed the formulation, this ink is quite water resistant for me and several other members. Some will wash away but it is definitely usable for envelopes.

I agree with Lloyd. I just tried another little test myself. I gave the ink less than 5 minutes to dry then splashed water on in, there was very, very little ink run off. Then I soaked the sample in warm water and saw almost no change, just a tiny bit of fade.

I'll link to Sandy1's review instead of posting my own scan since my results are so similar to hers.

edit to add -- other than that quibble, fine review of a really nice ink.

Edited by Alohamora

I agree with Lloyd. I just tried another little test myself. I gave the ink less than 5 minutes to dry then splashed water on in, there was very, very little ink run off. Then I soaked the sample in warm water and saw almost no change, just a tiny bit of fade.

I'll link to Sandy1's review instead of posting my own scan since my results are so similar to hers.

edit to add -- other than that quibble, fine review of a really nice ink.

Greetings Lloyd and Alohamara,

Let me explain the protocol of my water test; I don't believe it is excessively severe. I fill a glass jar with plain Belmont County tap water; I dip a Q-Tip into the jar, tap off the excess on the edge of the jar and then swipe it across the ink and let it air-dry.

The water drop test is performed by taking an eye dropper, placing one drop of water on each word, (except for two drops on "resistant" because it’s a long word); I let the drops sit there for 90 to 120 seconds and then dab them off with a Kleenex.

I don't think that is an excessive test; perhaps I should use distilled water- maybe Belmont County tap is considerably more corrosive than Sandy's and Lloyd's water supply. :D

All the best,

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Sean, your water tests didn't vanquish the ink. It is still completely legible. By your test, Bulletproof Black might be labeled as a 2.5 due to smearing.

Oscar Wilde

Lloyd, Sean,

I can confirm that my bottle of Pilot Blue is just as waterproof and smudge proof as my Iron Gall inks and my Noodler's bulletproof inks. However I have not tried Pilot Blue Black, and in older comparisons of Blue, Blue-black, and Black, it was found before that Blue-Black and Black were much less water resistant than their Blue brother. While many find Blue "washed out", I suppose it is just preference. I find it to be the perfect shade of true blue. Nonetheless Sean I think your review was great... any chance you might share this template? :vbg: :notworthy1:

Gobblecup ~

Thanks for the ink review!

I like this shade of ink. Where did you purchase the bottle from? I did a quick search and only found cartridges only for the Pilot blue-black.

I like this shade of ink. Where did you purchase the bottle from? I did a quick search and only found cartridges only for the Pilot blue-black.

While this isn't where I obtained mine, you can get it at Jetpens.

Oscar Wilde

Sean, your water tests didn't vanquish the ink. It is still completely legible. By your test, Bulletproof Black might be labeled as a 2.5 due to smearing.

Hello Adam,

I suppose what you're saying is that my grade was too harsh, correct? Perhaps it was; however, please know that I was not trying to "vanquish" the ink; however, by the same token, I know how finicky the post office is about legible addresses. I gave it the "low score" because I wasn't sure if the post office would continue to process a letter with an address in that condition.

I should have made that point clear and that is my fault... it is also possible that this is not a legitimate concern- but it has always been a concern of mine, so it colored my assessment of this ink's water-proof score. ;)

As a side note, here is a review for Sailor Jentle Blue, which performed very well and received a much higher rating...

Review - Sailor Jentle Blue

All the best,

Edited by S. P. Colfer

Lloyd, Sean,

"... any chance you might share this template? :vbg: :notworthy1:

Greetings Gobblecup, et al,

YES. Anyone who wants to use my template is free to; please send me a PM and I'll be glad to e-mail it to you as a Word document. If you're an Apple user, I'll snail mail you a copy that you can scan into your computer or Xerox.

Thanks,

While this isn't where I obtained mine, you can get it at Jetpens.

Greetings all,

Yes, I acquired mine from JetPens; they are located in Georgia and California, (you'll pay state tax if you live in either state). (I always thought they were located in Japan due to their extensive Asian inventory :blush: :rolleyes: ).

Pilot Blue-black costs $15.50 per bottle; however, if you spend $25 or more, you get free shipping... naturally; I had to buy more inks. ;) I placed my order and in three days it was at my door; very well packed in a Priority box. :cloud9: Great service, that is.

All the best,

Edited by S. P. Colfer

• 4 years later...

Greetings all,

After this ink was reviewed by Sandy, I had to give it a try for myself; I loved the color. After using the ink for a few days, I have to say my preliminary opinion of Pilot blue-black is a favorable one. The color is a classic blue-black hue; however, with a slight hint of purple, I think. The ink's characteristics are clearly outlined in my review below, so I won’t bore you with the same information twice.

However, there are a few things I’d like to point out; first, Pilot bb comes with a great bottle design and a generous supply of ink- a 70ml supply with a built-in filler funnel. Two, I love the color; it has a certain, muted vintage look to it yet it isn’t “washed out” like Pilot’s standard blue or Quink's Washable Blue.

Finally, this is one of the few inks I’ve run across that I would classify as a universal ink; most inks get bounced right off the bat because they are hemophiliac in nature, i.e., “bleeders,” so they would be of little benefit to students who need to write on both sides of the page in their notebook or “blue book.” Others get bounced for color, poor performance, etc. However, I think Pilot blue-black would be at home in any environment, (except maybe wet ones- see below).

This brings me to its two shortcomings- it is not a shady ink and it is quite hydrophobic. Water makes it flee the scene quicker than a police raid in the red light district. However, if you can get past these two problems- you’ll find yourself a great little ink in Pilot’s blue-black. So, if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post them.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff449/quinkkid/PilotBlue-Black1.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff449/quinkkid/PilotBlue-black2.jpg

All the best,

Sean :smile:

Thanks Sean for this wonderful review. I had gone through this review like ages ago.

Although, for the me the ink came out a bit towards the bluish side rather than the greenish side :)

Regards,

Sonik

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

I'm not sure if the formula has been changed, but in my new pack of Pilot Blu/Blk cartridges, I have observed a high amount of red sheen on premium papers. More so than Shin-Kai, even.

11698789_1138553479495191_20235397114649

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

One of my favorite inks. Thanks for the review.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thank you for the review.

Just curious, did you note any sheen on the dried ink?

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if the formula has been changed, but in my new pack of Pilot Blu/Blk cartridges, I have observed a high amount of red sheen on premium papers. More so than Shin-Kai, even.

11698789_1138553479495191_20235397114649

what brand is that MIDNIGHT, same PILOT?

And Tanzanite?

And Tanzanite?

Ohhh! Tanzanite is the blackest blue of the lot. I think I like it best..

I found a Private Reserve abd Pelikan Edelstein Tnzanite, so far... Which one?

Which was used?