The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Iroshizuku Kon Peki (My First Post Here)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pinkun

pinkun

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:18

I've done this review after reading the pinned thread "Suggestion for what to include in an ink review," so several parts were missing. I'm totally new to FP, but will try my best to answer any questions if any. For sure, this will be my signature colour for the long run.

PS. 1. just realize that it is Kon Peki spelled with an N not M like I mentioned in the paper.
2. the taken photo does not represent what this ink has to offer; it is completely different from what I see with my own eyes. How to take a better photo?

Thanks.

Attached Images

• IMG_0113.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 Ytland

Ytland

The Swagman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:33

I've done this review after reading the pinned thread "Suggestion for what to include in an ink review," so several parts were missing. I'm totally new to FP, but will try my best to answer any questions if any. For sure, this will be my signature colour for the long run.

PS. 1. just realize that it is Kon Peki spelled with an N not M like I mentioned in the paper.
2. the taken photo does not represent what this ink has to offer; it is completely different from what I see with my own eyes. How to take a better photo?

Thanks.

Cool review, and :W2FPN:!
Feathering is how much the ink 'blurs' when you put pen to paper and is closely related to the absorbancy of the paper. Good papers will actually be water repellant to reduce feathering.

Feedback is the 'feel' you get of nib on paper, which sort of ranges from 'glassy/butter smooth' to 'scratchy'. I personally prefer a bit of feedback, just enough to know youre writing with a nib, but not so much as to be scratchy.

Saturation is the amount of pigment in the ink. A highly saturated ink will produce a shocking and vibrant colour, but may lead to problems such as staining or clogging. Inks with low degrees of saturation will seem watery.

Finally, shading is the amount of colour variation achieved with the ink. I've never used this particular ink, but you may find that the place where you lift your pen off a letter is slightly darker than the rest of the letter. This is shading. I personally love it for general writing, but find it a nuisance when trying to do precise work, such as in mathematics due to the inconsistency. It does not mean the ink is 'good' or 'bad', it just comes down to a matter of preference.

Hope this helps!
ytland

Express Nib Grinding Down Under at AUSSIE PEN REPAIR
Email: aussiepenrepair@gmail.com

Pens for Sale

Posted Image

#3 Lorna Reed

Lorna Reed

Voluntary Verger

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:46

Nice first review. :thumbup: Welcome to FPN :W2FPN:
Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.
Philippians 4.8

#4 pinkun

pinkun

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:07

Thanks.

Cool review, and :W2FPN:!
Feathering is how much the ink 'blurs' when you put pen to paper and is closely related to the absorbancy of the paper. Good papers will actually be water repellant to reduce feathering.

Feedback is the 'feel' you get of nib on paper, which sort of ranges from 'glassy/butter smooth' to 'scratchy'. I personally prefer a bit of feedback, just enough to know youre writing with a nib, but not so much as to be scratchy.

Saturation is the amount of pigment in the ink. A highly saturated ink will produce a shocking and vibrant colour, but may lead to problems such as staining or clogging. Inks with low degrees of saturation will seem watery.

Finally, shading is the amount of colour variation achieved with the ink. I've never used this particular ink, but you may find that the place where you lift your pen off a letter is slightly darker than the rest of the letter. This is shading. I personally love it for general writing, but find it a nuisance when trying to do precise work, such as in mathematics due to the inconsistency. It does not mean the ink is 'good' or 'bad', it just comes down to a matter of preference.

Hope this helps!
ytland

This is truly comprehensive. Will take them into account when making another review.
Thanks again.

#5 pinkun

pinkun

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:13

Nice first review. :thumbup: Welcome to FPN :W2FPN:

;) Thanks for the warm welcome.

#6 FloridaMike

FloridaMike

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2011 - 18:01

Nice first review.

the taken photo does not represent what this ink has to offer; it is completely different from what I see with my own eyes. How to take a better photo?

Before we know what direction to head off in, we need to know where we are. First, how does the picture differ from what your eyes tell you? (Darker, lighter, less contrast, more contrast, too red, too blue, etc.) Second, what do you actually know about photography? Third, what kind of setup are you using—camera, lens, lighting, camera settings, etc?

You may find it more worthwhile to show a comparison to a widely-known standard—Waterman Florida Blue comes to my mind—or simply describe in words how your picture is not quite an accurate depiction. You might also include, in your picture, the actual bottle with the swatch it shows.

Accurately capturing ink colors seems to be quite the technical challenge and I haven't yet seen a an ink reviewer—even among the most highly respected and knowledgeable reviewers—who claims to be able to perfectly capture scans or photos more than about eighty percent of the time.
If you assume 90% of what I say about the law is either naked self-promotion or zealous advocacy on behalf of my clients, then you'll never be disappointed. @mikewas

ACQUIRED! Levenger Seas/Sheaffer Connaisseur Tasman

#7 ezralimm

ezralimm

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:39

Thanks.

You need not re-take the photo unless you want a sharper shot.

To sharpen the shot, set the ISO down to 200 or less...

Then brace your elbow on something.

Enable macro mode in your camera and halfpress to focus first.

IF COLORS DO NOT APPEAR ACCURATE

Use any image manipulation program (google "GIMP"... it's free and good) to set the whitepoint of the image to the paper... (ie. make the paper reference white). Google around. It's really simple.

#8 pinkun

pinkun

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:38

Thanks for the advanced photograph techniques FloridaMike and ezralimm. Will keep this in mind when taking another shot of any ink reviewed.

Sponsored Content

|