The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Edison Nouveau Premiere Le

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 bgray

bgray

Edison Pen Co.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 00:28

I don't know this pen, but I have a Mina, that I purchased on 2nd hand, and it writes quite dry, like a bone. It's also a terrible skipper. I have tried another Edison pen from a friend and it was also dry. I really don't like Edison pens, and we can buy 2 wonderful pens, at least, with the same price, or a top pen from Pelikan (M1000), which is incomparable to an Edison. It's absolutely overprice for a pen with stainless steel pen. Just my opinion.

Did you ever reach out to me to rectify this?

Did the person that you bought this pen from specifically request the pen to write dry when he/she bought the pen direct from me?

I'm more than happy to service the pens that I sell.

Sponsored Content

#22 Tiffanyhenschel

Tiffanyhenschel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:11

Well, it's been one week, and I thought I would post an update :drool: I liked the pen when it first arrived, but I like it even more now. It has grown on me as I have used it. There really is no describing the feel of the ebonite in your hand if you have not experienced it before--like trying to describe a certain color to someone who is blind, I suppose.

In my OP I commented that it felt a little too short for relaxed writing for me. I've spent the week analyzing how I hold pens and comparing it to my other pens, and I decided that it's not really too short; I just prefer a fatter pen.

Now about the nib performance. It flows well, but it's still a little toothy for me. That's just a matter of preference, however. I took the pen with me to my locall B&M store when I was buying some ink. I've been there enough that we were talking about pens in general, so I pulled out the LE and showed it to the manager (I think.) At first he just took it politely, but after he held it in his hand I could see his expression turned into real interest:

"This is a nice pen," said he.

"How old is it? It looks like an older classic."
"Edison Pen Company...I've never heard of it, but this is really nice." :eureka:

He asked what kind of nibs Brian uses and so forth, and I gave him permission to unscrew the cap and write with it.

"This is a steel fine? This is really smooth!". :clap1:

He wanted to have a look at the inner threads and the converter, but I had it filled as an eyedropper.

So, the verdict: if you are an Edison Pen enthusiast, you are not alone, and you are not biased. I would definitely make the same purchase again.

"Life is too big for words, so don't try to describe it. Just live it."
- C.S. Lewis

Posted Image

#23 Tiffanyhenschel

Tiffanyhenschel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:12

All of the Premiere pens ship direct from me. This makes things easier all around for inventory, and it means you get your pen faster. :) #26 and many others went out today!

Grrrrrr....the DC says #26 was delivered today. I got excited at work. The time went by quicker. I got home and rushed to the table where the wife sets the mail....NO PACKAGE. Nada. Nothing. Just three bills and a stupid mailer from the credit union.

I called her at work...she said there was no package in the mail. Nothing on the porch. I went outside and practically scoured the front of the house. Nothing.

Crapper....there goes my 40th birthday present to myself...:mellow:

Did you get your pen yet? I hope so!
- C.S. Lewis

Posted Image

#24 MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,154 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:42

Little competition for you all. Name one other company, on this network, that responded personally to a posting as Brian did here.?????? !!!!!!There's you reason why Edison. Thanks

#25 USN Air TrafficController

USN Air TrafficController

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:12

Little competition for you all. Name one other company, on this network, that responded personally to a posting as Brian did here.?????? !!!!!!There's you reason why Edison. Thanks

+1
Currently Inked;
MB 149 w/ MB Toffee Brown
Pilot Custom 823 w/ Perle Noire
Noodler's Aerometric w/ Noodler's X-Feather

#26 USN Air TrafficController

USN Air TrafficController

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:50

Just ordered one. Thanks Tiffany, great review.
Currently Inked;
MB 149 w/ MB Toffee Brown
Pilot Custom 823 w/ Perle Noire
Noodler's Aerometric w/ Noodler's X-Feather

#27 wacbzz

wacbzz

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 13:58

Did you get your pen yet? I hope so!

I did!!

Here's the short version....

I wrote a letter to the mailman and taped it to the box the next day. My wife saw him coming up the walk and went out and talked with him. He essentially denied that he knew anything about the box, but that he would check up on it. My wife called me at work to relay this conversation with me. I cursed out loud because I said that there was no way he could have missed an 11 inch box and hung up with the wife.

A few minutes later, the wife called me back and said that the postman had come back. Yep, bringing the box with him.

Needless to say, I went home as quick as I could and got the pen. It is now inked with Noodler's black and the bold nib writes...spectacularly.

The note:

Posted Image

Btw, I sent Brian a couple of emails. My perception was that he was genuinely interested in what had happened with my pen. He provided me with full details about the mailing and whatnot. I would have no reservations AT ALL with ordering from him again - though for my peace of mind, I'll request insurance from now on (yeah, I'm that guy!).

Thanks Tiffany for letting me clog up your review thread. :thumbup:
Hot mustard was never meant for steak.

#28 kushbaby

kushbaby

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting.

• Member - Gold

• 1,933 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2011 - 15:11

I adore Brian and his pens (especially since going through the process of designing a custom one with him and then watching him make it on video stream). I have several. I told myself I don't need more at the moment (especially since I'm saving for an extended Mina). But thanks to this thread (argh!), my Edison Nouveau Premiere (#40) is on its way (with a F nib and an extra nib ground to a 1.1 stub).

Bring out the bunnies!!!

:bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

#29 anaximander

anaximander

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:01

Great review, Tiffany! I hope that you'll be writing more.

#30 GOB Bluth

GOB Bluth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:49

I adore Brian and his pens (especially since going through the process of designing a custom one with him and then watching him make it on video stream). I have several. I told myself I don't need more at the moment (especially since I'm saving for an extended Mina). But thanks to this thread (argh!), my Edison Nouveau Premiere (#40) is on its way (with a F nib and an extra nib ground to a 1.1 stub).

Bring out the bunnies!!!

How did you order a specialty nib for this pen? What were the added costs?

#31 Tiffanyhenschel

Tiffanyhenschel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2011 - 13:01

To order a specialty nib (or upgrade to gold if you want) go directly to Brian Gray at Edison Pen Company. You can order through the website, or you can correspond by email if you are not sure what you want or have special instructions. The link to his email is on the website, and he also has some links in his signature here just a few posts up.

Edited by Tiffanyhenschel, 04 July 2011 - 14:58.

- C.S. Lewis

Posted Image

#32 Brian C

Brian C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2011 - 13:05

Is it just me or is Brian saving his best designs for the production pens? This and the Hudson (especially the Hudson) are sublime.

#33 Tiffanyhenschel

Tiffanyhenschel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2011 - 13:07

An extra steel nib is 25. A custom grind is 40. Adding flex is 65, but he only adds flex to gold nibs. A gold nib is 100. Shipping is very reasonable and fast.
- C.S. Lewis

Posted Image

#34 Tiffanyhenschel

Tiffanyhenschel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2011 - 13:14

Is it just me or is Brian saving his best designs for the production pens? This and the Hudson (especially the Hudson) are sublime.

When I was discussing my options for a custom pen with Brian, we actually talked about using the body of the Premiere with my materials and colors. I ended up going with something else, but it was an option. He really is very
flexible.
- C.S. Lewis

Posted Image

#35 Tiffanyhenschel

Tiffanyhenschel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2011 - 13:17

Bring out the bunnies!!!

To those of you who have ordered a pen because of reading here, congratulations! To your husband or wife, I'm sorry! (but I can't promise that it won't happen again).
- C.S. Lewis

Posted Image

#36 Tiffanyhenschel

Tiffanyhenschel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2011 - 13:20

Thanks. I don't want to review something that has already been reviewed. I should be getting a special box in the mail towards the end of the month, though.
- C.S. Lewis

Posted Image

#37 jde

jde

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,694 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 16:57

Thanks. I don't want to review something that has already been reviewed. I should be getting a special box in the mail towards the end of the month, though.

Ah, but it's good to have multiple perspectives!

Nice review, Tiffany, and esp. great for you to follow-up with it. The shape of the Premiere does not speak to me, but that ebonite is so beautiful! Ebonite has become my favorite pen material.

I'm glad to see you braved making your pen an eyedropper. That's what I do with my Edisons. And the neat thing is you can alternate to a converter for an occasion that calls for that. Anyhoo... don't hesitate to have Brian work out that toothiness for you. As you've discovered he is very amenable and great to work with.

Best,
Julie

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August
...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

#38 kushbaby

kushbaby

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting.

• Member - Gold

• 1,933 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2011 - 17:21

Bring out the bunnies!!!

How did you order a specialty nib for this pen? What were the added costs?

Tiffany answered already, but to add: I just added a note to my payment (section for comments about the order, etc.) asking for a certain number if it was still available (it wasn't) and for the modification of the extra nib. Rachel emailed me, told me about the number issue, and said that the pens are sent directly from Brian, and that he would contact me about the modification. Which he did - I sent him $40 for the modification via Paypal. He already had the modified nib in stock, and it went out right away. It was pretty easy, all and all. :thumbup:

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

#39 Tennessee Dave

Tennessee Dave

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2011 - 19:25

Mine ordered today. Now for the wait! :puddle:
Dave

Thankful for being blessed with a genteel life and wonderful wife

#40 nightwing

nightwing

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2011 - 20:58

Maybe it's just me, but I find the shape of the Glenmont to be very similar to that of the Hudson, and the Herald's shape is similar to the Nouveau Premiere's. The exact dimensions may be different (I haven't compared them), but there does appear to be some likenesses.

When I was discussing my options for a custom pen with Brian, we actually talked about using the body of the Premiere with my materials and colors. I ended up going with something else, but it was an option. He really is very flexible.

That's good to know. I imagine the price of the pen would cost more due to the customisations.

Sponsored Content

|