Edison Nouveau Premiere Le

Tiffanyhenschel

post-71218-0-59305600-1309032359.jpg

They say that a watched pot never boils, but in my experience the mail is always late on the day of a highly anticipated delivery. That was certainly the case today as I waited the arrival of my first Edison pen--the recently released Edison Nouveau Premiere LE--available only through The Goulet Pen Company. The mail finally arrived, and I sat at my desk for the unveiling. After all of the praise of Edison pens here on FPN, I almost expected to be disappointed by the real thing. I was wrong. The pen is even more beautiful in real life than in pictures, and the ebonite surface is heavenly. I keep pausing in my writing to come up with the right word --silky? buttery? Now on to the review proper before I get ahead of myself!

post-71218-0-60291700-1309032357.jpg

Appearance and Design: 10/10

The design of the LE is the same as the Edison Nouveau Premiere, with the exception that the hLE is made of a black and navy swirled ebonite. It is the swirled ebonite that makes the pen fabulous instead of merely great for me. The marbling is subtle, so it is understated and elegant. The glossy sheen reflects light onto the silver-filled etching. In reviews of the original Premiere, it was stated that the swirl in the clip was designed to reflect the ointed ends of the pen, and to that I add that it also reflects the marbled appearance of the ebonits.

post-71218-0-59806900-1309032366.jpg

Construction and Quality: 10/10

I have been looking for flaws in the quality of this pen, but I can find none. The cap is lightweight and thin, but it does not seem fragile at all. The Edison craftsmanship lives up to its name. I take care of my pens, and they never leave the house without a case, but this is a pen that will need no coddling.

post-71218-0-32276300-1309032361.jpg

Weight and Dimensions: 8/10

Capped - 6"

Uncapped - 5 1/2"

Posted 7"

I do not post my pens, so this pen is just a little short for relaxed, long-term use in my hand. I have larger hands for a woman (7 1/4" from base of palm to middle fingertip) so I would prefer a pen that is just a little longer for extended writing sessions. The dimensions are proportionate to the design, however, and for someone with smaller hands or who likes a shorter pen, it will be perfect.

Nib and Performance: 8/10

The LE is available with a standard F,M,or B steel nib. As with all Edisons, you can order a custom nib directly from Brian Gray. I chose the F nib because I need to be able to write small and quickly for the purpose I have in mind for this pen. It writes smoothly right out of the box with no skipping or hesitating. I only scored it 8/10 because it has just a little too much feedback for my taste. I have a F vintage Shaeffer that is smoother. I could also be my ink--iroshizuku asa gao, which writes dry for me.

Filling System and Maintenance: 10/10

This pen comes with a converter, which is what I use with most of my pens. For the price of this pen I couldn't ask for more. The converter fits snugly into the section, and I have had no hint of nib creep, spotting, or staining. I used a syringe to fill the converter, so I cannot comment on how it would have filled using the twist mechanism.

post-71218-0-22842700-1309032363.jpg

post-71218-0-55344700-1309032364.jpg

Cost and Value: 10/10

This pen is only available through The Goulet Pen Company, and it is a Limited Edition of 50. The pen was announced on Tuesday night during the Ink Nouveau blog withorders accepted after the broadcast finished. I ordered later that evening, and my pen is #3. Because of the cost of the ebonite, this Premiere retails for $200 rather than $150 for the standard Premiere. This is a very high quality pen, and it is worth the money. It exudes elegance without bling. In addition, I want to acknowledge the exceptional customer service from both Edison Pen Company and The Goulet Pen Company.

Conclusion: 56/60

Overal, this pen has exceeded my expectations. I am very happy with it. As far as the nib feedback, I could try a wetter ink to see if it would feel "buttery," but for my purposes I need this pen to write somewhat dry. The smell of the ebonite is barely discernable, and in my view just adds to the auhenticity of the pen. I already have a custom pen on order from Brian to be finished at the end of next month, and I am looking forward to that one next!

My review was written on Rhodia for Levenger Circa paper using iroshizuku asa gao ink.

Edited by Tiffanyhenschel

"Life is too big for words, so don't try to describe it. Just live it."

- C.S. Lewis

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tiffanyhenschel

• bgray

• wacbzz

• PBW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the fine review. I have been writing this afternoon with an Edison #76 on Rhodia for Levenger paper as well.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Great review.

I just ordered mine. I'd like to use it as an eyedropper only with perhaps some kon-peki...

Did you know your number before you received the pen?

Hot mustard was never meant for steak.

Great review. I was not aware that they started making these in ebonite (well worth the extra $50).

BTW, your handwriting is wonderful.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Great review.

I just ordered mine. I'd like to use it as an eyedropper only with perhaps some kon-peki...

I had no thought as to the number. I just knew that I had to be part of the 50! I found out I was #3 when I received the shipping notification.

- C.S. Lewis

Thank you for the fine review. I have been writing this afternoon with an Edison #76 on Rhodia for Levenger paper as well.

That has become my favorite "work" paper. Nothing I have ever used on it has ever bled through, and it is very smooth. The color of the lines is relaxing, too. My husband cringes when he sees a Levenger catalog in the house. Now he'll probably cringe when he hears "Edison." :mellow:

- C.S. Lewis

Great review. I was not aware that they started making these in ebonite (well worth the extra $50).

BTW, your handwriting is wonderful.

The ebonite is just for this Limited Edition run. I really have no words to describe the beauty and depth of the color. Thanks for the handwriting compliment!

- C.S. Lewis

Great review.

I had no thought as to the number. I just knew that I had to be part of the 50! I found out I was #3 when I received the shipping notification.

I received the email this afternoon telling me that my pen was shipping today; Number 26.

Interestingly enough, the email came from Brian Gray, not Brian Goulet, saying that my package was being shipped. Not any big deal, I just thought that the pen was coming from Goulet Pens.

I. Am. Excited.

:vbg:

Great review.

I received the email this afternoon telling me that my pen was shipping today; Number 26.

Interestingly enough, the email came from Brian Gray, not Brian Goulet, saying that my package was being shipped. Not any big deal, I just thought that the pen was coming from Goulet Pens.

I. Am. Excited.

:vbg:

All of the Premiere pens ship direct from me. This makes things easier all around for inventory, and it means you get your pen faster. :) #26 and many others went out today!

All of the Premiere pens ship direct from me. This makes things easier all around for inventory, and it means you get your pen faster. :) #26 and many others went out today!

Thanks for the info Brian.

And not to hijack the thread (sorry Tiffany), but as I've not seen anyboy report yet that they are using the pen as an eyedropper, is there anything that needs to specifically be done in order to make it write as one? That's how I'd like to use it...

Thanks for the info Brian.

And not to hijack the thread (sorry Tiffany), but as I've not seen anyboy report yet that they are using the pen as an eyedropper, is there anything that needs to specifically be done in order to make it write as one? That's how I'd like to use it...

I make the section threads at a pretty fine pitch for this reason. Feel free to use the pen as an eyedropper without grease, but I prefer that you use a little silicone grease on the section threads for extra insurance. If you don't have any, let me know.

BG

That's how I will probably end up using it, too, since I don't foresee switching my ink often with this pen. It has a dedicated purpose and ink color (and I've already refilled the converter twice!). I just have to get brave enough to try it first as I've never made/used an eyedropper pen yet.

- C.S. Lewis

I really hope that I have the money saved up in time to get one of these before they are gone.

"Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps down new roads armed with nothing but their own vision." - Ayn Rand

I may be getting older, but I REFUSE to GROW UP!

Great review, thank you! Its funny, I just start to think I have gotten my Pen Acquisition Disorder under control and then I see another Edison pen review :)

A wonderful review!. I'm anxiously expecting my ENP-LE tomorrow :puddle:. I requested #4 (my special number :vbg:)with 1.1mm cursive italic nib. I haven't decided which ink I'll choose for my initial writing.....

Hi All, I'm the proud owner of pen #5. As of yet I have not made the decsion to ink up the pen as for now I am just sitting back admiring it in the box. I suspect at some point in the future I'll get some of my P.W. Akkerman Ink, Turquoise ya know, and ink it up and away I'll go. But for now I'm happy with just sitting back and admiring it.

I ordered mine tonight. After a couple of emails with mrsgouletpens this morning I realized I better get one soon. I asked for #41 and a stub grind. My wife said I can't use it until October since it will be my 10 year anniversary present.

"Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps down new roads armed with nothing but their own vision." - Ayn Rand

I may be getting older, but I REFUSE to GROW UP!

Grrrrrr....the DC says #26 was delivered today. I got excited at work. The time went by quicker. I got home and rushed to the table where the wife sets the mail....NO PACKAGE. Nada. Nothing. Just three bills and a stupid mailer from the credit union.

I called her at work...she said there was no package in the mail. Nothing on the porch. I went outside and practically scoured the front of the house. Nothing.

Crapper....there goes my 40th birthday present to myself...:mellow:

Edited by wacbzz

I don't know this pen, but I have a Mina, that I purchased on 2nd hand, and it writes quite dry, like a bone. It's also a terrible skipper. I have tried another Edison pen from a friend and it was also dry. I really don't like Edison pens, and we can buy 2 wonderful pens, at least, with the same price, or a top pen from Pelikan (M1000), which is incomparable to an Edison. It's absolutely overprice for a pen with stainless steel pen. Just my opinion.