Edison Nouveau Premiere Limited Edition

J_Rock

I will start off by saying that I had a written portion of this review done but my scanner took a dump on me. I will have to do these at work and add them later. I will keep this as an ongoing review and give updates from time to time and written reviews too. I used both Brian Gray’s and Brian Goulet’s photos. Those two are great with a camera and I could never compete with them. In Brian Gray’s photos it is actually the pen I now own!

My desire to own an Edison pen started a few months ago from my visit to the shop of Brian Gray who owns Edison Pen Co. I have a thread Here that detailed my visit and the experience. That was right when the Edison Nouveau Premiere was released. I got to see all three colors up close and personal. I knew I wanted the Premiere at that point and started saving my spare change. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Premiere a few weeks ago but I held off when I heard the Goulet’s whisper hints of a limited edition Premiere in their newsletter.

First Impression: After talking with Brian Gray with some questions he said he would have the LE pens done on Tuesday and I could stop by and see them since that was the day they would be reviled by the Goulets and Brian Gray. I stopped by his shop Tuesday after work and he had them all lined up on his work bench and I knew I would have to have one. There were still some nib tuning and the last of the engraving that needed to be done but the overall first impressions are amazing. Once I got it home and really started writing with it I really liked it more and more. This is my first ebonite pen and I really like the feel of it.

Shape: The shape is the exact same as the standard Premiere. It is the longest pen I own but it is the most comfortable. I mostly like fatter pens but it is interesting to me that this is the thinnest pen I own because it is so natural and comfortable in my hand. The section fits my grip perfectly. I had to write a 2 page report at work today and had no problems at all with cramping or fatigue. I am very happy with the size and weight.

Material: This is the hardest part of the review to put into words. It is a black ebonite with a midnight blue swirl. I can detect hints of very dark grey as well. The sight of the pen from afar is black. The closer you get to it you can see the blue swirl. It creates a cool mystique. It reminds me of Noodler’s Blue Black in the sense of looking black with a hint of blue in the right angles. The material gives it a sleek and elegant look. It is a professional looking pen but has tons of character.

Nib and Performance: I got the fine nib on mine and it is the best fine nib I have used. The flow is spot on too. Brian set it up for me so it would perform on our cheap 20# copy paper at work and my Rhodia pads too. I didn’t think I could have the best of both worlds. I have used Noodler’s and Waterman ink in it so far and both have performed well. I had Brian keep a small amount of tooth in it because I like some feedback when I am writing. I have heard Brian has good nibs on his pens but I am surprised how good it is.

Filling: I love the Schmidt converter that Brian includes with his pens. The stroke of the piston is very smooth. It is bigger than the converter that came with my Lamy Studio and much better quality. I have yet to use it as an eyedropper but I plan to very soon. Brian spoke on the Goulet’s webcast that the pitch of the threads are very fine but he suggests a dab of silicone grease to help seal it just in case.

Value/Cost: I know this is a $200 pen but I know the materials and nib justify this price. I think this is a very reasonable price for a LE pen of this quality! Maybe this is just me justifying $200 to myself but it is logical to me for me:)

Conclusion: I am beyond happy with this pen. I tried to write my first review very non-bias but I may have picked too nice of a pen for that. This is the first pen over the $100 price point so the quality blows me away. I now know why people always seem to have multiple Edison pens. I cannot wait to see what other collaborations the Goulets and Brian Gray come up with. I also have plans to buy a custom Edison pen as well!

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/photos/i-KcM2TzZ/5/M/i-KcM2TzZ-M.jpg

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/photos/i-5SNdPB3/5/M/i-5SNdPB3-M.jpg

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/photos/i-QhHhK5H/5/M/i-QhHhK5H-M.jpg

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/photos/i-JHDH22V/0/M/i-JHDH22V-M.jpg

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/photos/i-WT7MXrJ/0/M/i-WT7MXrJ-M.jpg

Edited by J_Rock

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J_Rock

• Thornton

• SHK

• jde

Top Posters In This Topic

Norwalk is not far from Edison.

So I also would have done a stop by Brian.

I'm still waiting for my Huron Cappuccino Swirl.

But the day will come...

Thanks for the review and enjoy your Edison Pen.

Regards

Sascha

But the day will come...

Regards

Sascha

Sascha - your pen came off the lathe today - looking good. You'll get pics on Monday prior to shipping.

What the hay... pens are subjective experiences. The only pen I'm objective about is... dunno if that's possible. It's all about how we each respond to any given factors in a pen, IMHO or not-so-HO. Anyhoo... very nice write up of your experience.

That is a very impressive ebonite color combination. And there's nothing like getting a nib tweaked to your specific needs, is there?

Surprised to see this pen up on reviews so quickly. But reading your review it's clear you didn't have to wait long. Congratulations on your first Edison!

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

But the day will come...

Regards

Sascha

Sascha - your pen came off the lathe today - looking good. You'll get pics on Monday prior to shipping.

That's music in my ear.

Thank you.

Sascha

Thanks so much for posting this review. Rachel, Brian Gray and myself are all thrilled with how the pens came out! Boy was it a devil to photograph though! Brian and I both decided to step our game up with our photography around the same time. I shoot Nikon and he shoots Canon, so we like to have little competitions with each other to see who can take better pictures. We keep slingshoting (is that a word?) each other with our photography...he'll get a lens, I upgrade my software, he upgrades his RAM, I get a new computer....we've been having a good time pushing each other. :thumbup:

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

I'm eagerly anticipating #7. Thanks for the review!

Edited by The Scribbler
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I'm eagerly anticipating of #7. Thanks for the review!

I am sure you will love it but I hope you share your thoughts on it. Congrats :thumbup:

quite an elegant, understated pen. a gentleman - ladies included, ahem - with an eye for the discerning in life will be able to appreciate it.........

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

That's a beautiful blue swirled ebonite! I wasn't so sure about the pointy ends, preferring a more tapered round end (think MontBlanc) but after seeing these photos can imagine it would still be very nice posted.

Good on you Brian for shooting Nikon! (nothing wrong with Canon though)

I use the Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR micro for my pen photos. A nice tripod (e.g. Manfrotton 190 or 055 CXPro) would be handywith it's horizontal column. I've been meaning to buy the Gitzo explorer for pen shots but simply couldn't find enough positive testimonials... that and the cost of the tripod could buy me lots and lots of pens and paper from Goulet!

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

Here is an update. A few crappy pics I took today. My camera made the inks look a little lighter than what they are in real life.

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq271/JD_Berry/utf-8BV1IzLkpQRw.jpg

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq271/JD_Berry/utf-8BV1IzLkpQRw.jpg

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq271/JD_Berry/utf-8BV1IxLkpQRw.jpg

Thanks for posting your review and pics, J_Rock! I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of #8. Maybe tomorrow. I'm so glad you're happy with yours.

#2 has just arrived. I have laid down my Skyline and am now filled with Waterman Havana Brown. Yippee!

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

#2 has just arrived. I have laid down my Skyline and am now filled with Waterman Havana Brown. Yippee!

My #3 arrived today, also. It is now filled with iroshizuku asa gao.

"Life is too big for words, so don't try to describe it. Just live it."

- C.S. Lewis

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I've got #18 filled with Noodler's Black. The fine nib is so smooth and the depth of color in the ebonite is amazing. Rachel and the Brian G's hit it out of the park with this one for sure.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher