The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Stipula Etruria Amber Piston-Fill

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lothianjavert

Lothianjavert

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:00

This my first Stipula pen, and my first pen review! I've been drooling over the Etrurias for a long time, but they have been out of my price range. I was lucky enough to snag a used one recently (Thank you!!). It arrived the other day and I am in heaven!

Size: The Etruria is an oversize pen. It isn't as thick as my Ancora Perla, but it is a bit longer. It dwarfs most of my vintage pens. However, the size is not too long or too thick. I have an average-sized woman's hand and the Etruria is comfortable for me to hold and write with. It is also comfortable for my husband to use. The shape is very rounded and as another member stated "ergonomic". It is very nice feeling in the hand.

Here's a comparison of the Etruria (left) with the Perla, a Parker Vac Major and a Carmine Sheaffer Triumph.

Posted Image

Weight: This is the piston fill version, and one of the older ones. It is a heavy pen, and quite a bit heavier than the Perla. Still, it is comfortable to hold and well balanced. I prefer it unposted- it feels a bit better to me that way, and it is large enough to use easily without posting. However, the weight isn't bad with it posted either, though it is a good bit heavier.

Appearance: This is a stunning pen! Photos can't really do it justice. For this particular pen, I am at least owner #3, and though it has been used, it is in great shape. The color is a rich deep amber that glows and glitters in the sunlight. It is formal and subdued- until it is in direct light and then the patterns and depth of colors in the celluloid are mesmerizing. It is easy to simply gaze at it for long periods of time, lost in the billowing gold and burnt umber swirls. It reminds me of vintage tortoiseshell, just with even more depth and a touch of sparkle. I tried to capture it below, but it still doesn't do it justice.

Other than the incredible celluloid, the Etruria is adorned by a lost-wax cast cap band of leaves. Each Etruria I've seen has slightly different leaves-some more deeply carved, some less, some more angled,etc. The clip is also adorned with one simple leaf. On this pen, the clip is different than that of some of the older and newer Etrurias in that it has more of a teardrop shape with a single leaf at the bottom instead of a cluster of leaves.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nib: This pen has a bicolor 18K M nib. It is buttery smooth and wet and a delight to write with. There is a bit of spring to it, but I wouldn't call it "flexible" by any means. It is not however, a nail. I've heard others talk about how nice Stipula nibs are, and this pen confirms that. I'm dying to try one of their stubs now!

Fill system: This version is a piston fill system that has an internal metal sleeve. It's rather like an extra large internal metal converter with a large ink capacity. It holds a lot of ink! The end of the pen is turned to fill or empty the chamber. It operates smoothly and easily.

Overall construction: This pen feels very well made and of high quality, from the finish on the celluloid to the smooth piston to the silver work and the lovely nib, this pen just makes me want to buy another stipula... and another!

A couple more shots:

Posted Image

A last shot- a full shot of the pen including nib, with a little writing at the top in Burma Road Brown (done with the Etruria of course). My handwriting is awful and really doesn't need to be seen in any larger quantity! :embarrassed_smile:

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 PatientType

PatientType

Enjoying the Journey

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:22

Interesting review. I don't own a Stipula but your review makes me wonder why not? This Eturia is a very attractive pen and in a piston! I especially like your color choice. Thanks for taking the time and for including such enticing pictures. Now I'll be keeping my eye out for these.

#3 Inkwisitor

Inkwisitor

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2011 - 15:49

Beautiful pen indeed, the Etruria is definitely one pen that is on my ever-increasing wanted list. I have a more modest Stipula I Castoni that is used as an everyday writer but is nice enough to have given me a taste for the brand. Thanks for a nice review.
"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys

#4 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:39

I have the same pen than you and I love it. Congrats on a great pen :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#5 Yuki Onitsura

Yuki Onitsura

I ink, therefore I am

• Member - Gold

• 2,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:50

That's such a dreamy looking pen. Thanks for the review =)

Yuki
Posted Image
Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

#6 eric47

eric47

Tentative bohemian sniffing the celluloid

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:51

Weight: This is the piston fill version, and one of the older ones. It is a heavy pen, and quite a bit heavier than the Perla. Still, it is comfortable to hold and well balanced.

Fill system: This version is a piston fill system that has an internal metal sleeve. It's rather like an extra large internal metal converter with a large ink capacity. It holds a lot of ink! The end of the pen is turned to fill or empty the chamber. It operates smoothly and easily.

First, nice review.

I'm pretty sure that the Etruria you have, based on furniture and description, is a convertible Etruria. Those have an internal big Stipula "converter" that fits into the piston knob, so you can fill like any other piston filler. That big "converter" was designed to be removed so you could you a standard converter or cartridges -- they are "convertible" to these other systems.

The Etruria convertibles got replaced by the current piston-filling systems that aren't removable. The current Eturiras with the new system are also heavier compared to the convertibles. In my hand causes the pen to much more unbalanced compared to the convertibles and the early pre-convertible piston Etrurias.
Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

#7 Dark_Severus

Dark_Severus

Paragonian

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:44

Nice review. This is one Italian I am yet to try. Maybe one day...

adf85b8e-ac76-49f5-94e8-b5173443175d_zps

"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life,

the whole aim and end of human existence" Aristotle

#8 Lothianjavert

Lothianjavert

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 00:37

Yes, this one should be the convertible, though I don't know why anyone would want to
remove the large converter and replace it with something smaller in capacity.

I'm really enjoying this pen. It is a delight to use!

I need to try one with the 1.1 or .9 nib now!

#9 Alabamapenman

Alabamapenman

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:17

One of these with a fine nib just sold today (9-13-2011) on eBay for $355.00, which is more than I paid for my new one in 2005, but seems like a good price when I checked for current new price.

#10 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2011 - 19:29

Great review of a beautiful pen even if it does make the wait for my FPN Etruria even harder!
Nice picture of the 4 pens together, an enviable lot indeed!
This post contains 100% recycled electrons

#11 mbradley

mbradley

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:26

Posted Image
[/quote]

Nice review, my grail pen. Your writing is better than you acknowledge.

Michael

Sponsored Content

|