• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• attika89

OOOOO

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 month later...

I saw the photo of the Sailor Rikyu Cha above (first image from #702) and I am after an ink like that. Dark black-green with sheen.

I looked at some other reviews of Rikyu Cha and it looks more brown. Is this the case?

If so then can anyone recommend a black/dark green with sheen?

I've read back to page 14 on this thread and alot of the blacks seem to be pure blacks with a silver sheen or purple-blacks (PR Velvet Black).

I looked at the PR Ebony Green but wanted more of a black-green rather than dark-green.

I might look at PR Ebony Blue.

How sheeny is Kyo-no-oto Nurebairo?

The best way to describe what I'm after is like the green/black sheen you get on a cormorant's feather.

I saw the photo of the Sailor Rikyu Cha above (first image from #702) and I am after an ink like that. Dark black-green with sheen.

I looked at some other reviews of Rikyu Cha and it looks more brown. Is this the case?

If so then can anyone recommend a black/dark green with sheen?

I've read back to page 14 on this thread and alot of the blacks seem to be pure blacks with a silver sheen or purple-blacks (PR Velvet Black).

I looked at the PR Ebony Green but wanted more of a black-green rather than dark-green.

I might look at PR Ebony Blue.

The best way to describe what I'm after is like the green/black sheen you get on a cormorant's feather.

Rikyu Cha is a strange ink. When I bought it about a month ago, I was almost certain it was the wrong color, because it appears to be a deep bluish green in the bottle. Turns out, it comes out the pen as a dark green, and dries to a soft tea-brownish color. It isnt super dark in most cases, nor is it very sheeny (at least I see no sheen), and this is with a dip pen. It is more like a shading ink, and the shaded portions of it are a slightly unsaturated brown while the lighter parts are green with a soft brown tint. It's incredibly fun, but likely not what you are looking for.

New to fountain pens, older to dip pens.

I use both Private Reserve Ebony Green and Nurebairo. The Private Reserve Ebony Green is more definitely a dark green with sheen, not a black with green sheen.

I like Nurebairo even better but the sheen is not green. It's more of a silver sheen--sort of looks like the ink is still wet. Not green.

The only ink I know of that might do what you want is Kobe #51 which is a dark blue nearly black ink. If used in a VERY wet pen (e.g. a Fountain Pen Revolution Himalaya with stub nib), it looks black (not dark blue) and will give some green sheen on Tomoe River paper. It would probably look black from most pens (not just gushers) but you have to have a ton of ink on the page to get the sheen from that particular ink.

I have many pens inked with well known ink makers ----- at least fifteen different inks, ------ and have been writing with fountain pens since Adam and Eve were teenagers, AND I have never, never seen anything I would call a "sheen." I do not have the ability to see the photo that are in the square boxes. Electronic immigrant, that I am.

I wish there could be another way I could see "sheen." ------- At times I think people just THINK they are seeing something.

Excuse my ignorance. I am tired today.

C. S.

Black/green with sheen? Sounds like Sailor Miruai, although the new van Gogh Dark Green is, if anything, even darker.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

CS, a lot depends on the paper used. Absorbent papers tend not to show any sheen. In my experience, sheen is more likely to be visible at an angle in artificial light. Certain inks are especially noted for their sheen: Blackstone Sydney Harbor Blue is one, though there are a number of others. Tomoe River is a paper that many comment as showing sheen in an ink.

CS, sheen is a combination of less-absorbent paper (e.g. Tomoe River), the right ink (usually highly saturated), enough ink deposited, the type of light (artificial seems helpful), and the angle from which it is viewed (not directly above).

Thanks!

I will add those to the list to think about buy...

I haven't bought any Sailor inks yet but Yama Dori was on the list - will explore Miruai and look at some other Sailor inks.

The Kobe vG Deep Green looks good too.

Ordering 100 loose sheets of Tomoe River too - exploring the sheen....

Great info as always :)

Most inks are capable of sheen under the right conditions and when aged long enough in ill-sealed pens. I have experienced sheen with:

Diamine: Sargasso Sea, Bilberry, Beau Blue (if the pen is wet 'enough'), Aqua blue, China blue (yes), Florida blue, Indigo (surprise), Misty Blue, Monaco Red, Wild strawberry, Oxblood, Red Dragon, Grey, Majestic and Imperial Purple, Damson, Amazing Amethyst, Chocolate Brown, Macassar, Ancient Copper, Classic Green.

Herbin Bleu Pervenche, Rose tendresse, Perle Noir, Eclat de Saphir, sheen to different degrees.

Rohrer and Klingner Alt Goldgrun, Blu Mare.

Pilot Blue, Waterman Serenity Blue.

I am of the opinion that most inks sheen.

A ill-sealed Jinhao is all it takes to sheen most inks, no need for Japanese inks or limited editions. Just fill up, prime the feed, and wait. These inks ooze out of pens like a shiny crickets.

Most inks are capable of sheen under the right conditions and when aged long enough in ill-sealed pens. I have experienced sheen with:

Diamine: Sargasso Sea, Bilberry, Beau Blue (if the pen is wet 'enough'), Aqua blue, China blue (yes), Florida blue, Indigo (surprise), Misty Blue, Monaco Red, Wild strawberry, Oxblood, Red Dragon, Grey, Majestic and Imperial Purple, Damson, Amazing Amethyst, Chocolate Brown, Macassar, Ancient Copper, Classic Green.

Herbin Bleu Pervenche, Rose tendresse, Perle Noir, Eclat de Saphir, sheen to different degrees.

Rohrer and Klingner Alt Goldgrun, Blu Mare.

Pilot Blue, Waterman Serenity Blue.

I am of the opinion that most inks sheen.

A ill-sealed Jinhao is all it takes to sheen most inks, no need for Japanese inks or limited editions. Just fill up, prime the feed, and wait. These inks ooze out of pens like a shiny crickets.

:lticaptd: This is so true. I have noticed the very same thing.

The only ink I have never encountered sheen on, are J Herbin's Bleu Nuit & Éclat de Saphir. Esp. ÉdS I have used extensively, incl. some pens left inked but not used (so higher concentrated ink), but alas, never any hint of sheen. No doubt when left to evaporate significantly, some sheen would eventually show up.

What is the sheen of ÉdS? Red?

I'd imagine it wouldn't take long for Perle Noire to sheen, that ink is very black, but also new in my arsenal of inks, so I don't have that much experience with it.

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black will sheen I think silvery, coppery, if I remember right it'll sheen similar to Kyo No Oto's Nurebairo, a "natural" sheener, but I wrote that in this thread already I'm sure!

Edited by Olya

Diamine Asa Blue has a lovely crimson sheen and shadowing.

fpn_1518948432__diamine_003_asa_blue_car

While Diamine Midnight, although it stinks, it also sheens like crazy on good paper. Asa Blue tries to sheen on bad paper, but Midnight just goes flat.

fpn_1518948560__diamine_010_midnight_car

Paper is Rhodia.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Thanks for sharing.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

A very nice and sheeny ink, new to my collection: Krishna Orange Halloween —a color after my own heart. Very pretty, and with subtle sheen. YUM.

fpn_1520095863__halloween-full.jpg

fpn_1520095910__halloween-sheen.jpg

A spectacularly generous benefactor has supplied me with several amazing new inks! Eternally grateful.

In addition to Orange Halloween (above), here is the most amazing of the group: Krishna Jungle Volcano. A veritable sheen monster:

fpn_1520095932__volcano-full.jpg

fpn_1520095946__volcano-sheen.jpg

The sheen is truly intense —it even sheen on watercolor paper with a swab.