The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Inks With A "sheen"

• Please log in to reply
667 replies to this topic

#661 bureaudirect

bureaudirect

Mint

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 14:42

Pink sheen on Blackstone Barrier Reef  B)

blackstone0002 barrier reef.jpg

bureaudirect the home of quality stationery
www.bureaudirect.co.uk
www.stationerywednesday.com
@bureaudirect 

Sponsored Content

#662 Charles Skinner

Charles Skinner

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:02

I guess I am "backward," and have an eye problem, but I see no "sheen," or whatever you call it, in these "pictures.!" Perhaps, I just don't know what you mean by the word "sheen." It seems that it MUST mean more than just a strong color, but I don't know what it is. Is it a color that slightly slows hints or "other colors?"  Please tell me how and when I can see "sheen."  Perhaps what you call sheen, to me is just a strong, bright color. Don't talk ugly about me!  I just don't understand. C. S.  

#663 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,414 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:20

It is merely the unexpected "second" color that is SOMETIMES visible when you are using an ink that is another color.  In the above swab, you had a bottle of "Blue" ink, when you filled your pen, however due to pen, nib, or paper, you "MAY" be blessed with the above image.  It is not a sure thing, a broad wet nib usually has a greater chance of producing the effect, your paper choice will also be a factor, papers that are less absorbent allow your ink to "pool" upon the surface, which also can help to produce the condition.

I recently discovered an ink left in a pen can also influence the odds of production; I noticed no sheen on a Japanese ink when I filled the pen & used it a few days, BUT after a week of non use, I had a beautiful greenish "halo" surrounding the burgundy ink.  Old fashioned onion skin paper is another way to enhance the behavior that produces sheen.

Interestingly I have read some posters complain about the effect, while others, myself included, also think it is a desirable factor.  I would hope anyone who reads your post will consider you a man of great intelligence; I was raised to respect persons who asked questions if they didn't understand the subject under discussion.  By admitting they "didn't know it all," they were allowing themselves the opportunity of learning "something NEW."  I learn something here everyday & it is usually because of questions asked by others; they receive the answers or help & I frequently benefit of same.

Edited by Barkingpig, 31 January 2017 - 01:22.

#664 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,842 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:30

CS, sometimes it looks like a halo effect.

When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice. - A.Davis

Ghostly Avatar? 2016 Ghosts  TWSBI Loaners.   Estie Loaners

The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Colors:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks

#665 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,842 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:36

CS, here is an example, the Bung Box Tears of a Clown in is RED (or burgundy), but in this picture it looks green. That secondary color is not seen on every paper or in all lights, but it is visible in this picture (at this angle, on this paper).  I hope this helps.

20140616_142637.jpg

When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice. - A.Davis

Ghostly Avatar? 2016 Ghosts  TWSBI Loaners.   Estie Loaners

The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Colors:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks

#666 HalloweenHJB

HalloweenHJB

More color!

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:40

Just to follow up on Amberlea's photo and BankingPig's explanation, here is a photo, taken at an angle, that shows the metallic, shiny "sheen" of Sailor's Oku-yama:

fpn_1476975884__oku_yama-sheen.jpg

#667 dvalliere

dvalliere

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:01

Go back a few posts to mine. I show the sample directly overhead then at an angle so that the sheen becomes evident.

When enough of the right ink dries on the surface of the page, light reflects off it (when viewed at an angle) such as to produce a different color that the ink normally appears.

#668 chromantic

chromantic

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 864 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:58

Think of the standard diagram of light striking a prism - white light enters side A, bounces off side B and emerges from side C as a rainbow.

Ink is usually a mix of different dyes and, on non-absorbent paper, these can dry as discrete layers. When light is reflected straight back off the paper, it produces the 'mixed' color; when it reflects at an angle, the ink acts as a prism, the light reflecting off the lower layer passes through, and is scattered by, the layers above, producing the 'extra' color.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Sponsored Content

|