The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Inks With A "sheen"

• Please log in to reply
570 replies to this topic

#561 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:46

Yeah, that really makes me boggle.  It's one of my most matte inks.  I even tried it in my Omas 360 Magnum which lays down such a concentrated/wet line it's a sheen monster, on Tomoe River paper and not a hint of it.  I wonder if they had some kind of overstock situation and wanted to try and push some of it off of the shelves with dubious claims of sheen.

They might have mistaken the darker edge as sheen.

Sponsored Content

#562 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:48

[double post]

Edited by Lgsoltek, 26 September 2015 - 02:48.

#563 Intellidepth

Intellidepth

Curiouser and curiouser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:59

I've been experimenting with Yama-budo. I put a small amount in a dish and left it exposed at room temperature before writing with it...

...All samples:

4tTghkx.jpg

This week was one of the saddest in recent years after a friend's tragic fatal accident at age 41. I was needfully distracting my mind in the hour before their funeral service in a different city, so dropped in to a brick and mortar fp store. I had a memory that Yama-Budo sheened, but the storeperson didn't know enough about inks to confirm it. Bought it anyway. Then came across this post again tonight while checking whether it was a sheener. I've not even inked a pen with it - thanks to Goudy's post it's gone straight into an open inkwell. It's now serving as an incentive to start and complete a uni research report, so a few days dehydrating will work nicely (probably a week!). I want to write another small note to the grieving wife as well, so all up, a perfect purchase.
Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

#564 Goudy

Goudy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:45

Hi Intellidepth - So sorry to hear about your loss, but I'm glad my post has been helpful.

In my experiments with Yama-Budo, 2 days dehydration in a shallow dish seemed to give the best results - after which the ink got too sticky to be usable (though a few drops of water might revive it).

#565 KyleKatarn

KyleKatarn

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:05

Abouth a month ago I bought some L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio inks. Bleu Mediterrannée and Violet have a subtle sheen, red in the first and golden in the second. I only have my iPhone camera and I'm afraid I can't quite capture it, but here it is how the inks look:

HA6pUe.jpg

Edited by KyleKatarn, 26 December 2015 - 10:08.

#566 KyleKatarn

KyleKatarn

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:09

A closer look to L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Bleu Mediterranée (uffff.... looong name!)

54rLH0.jpg

#567 Old_Inkyhand

Old_Inkyhand

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2016 - 20:59

I was surprised to find a little bit of sheen in Waterman Mysterious Blue (left) and Visconti Blue (right). I left my two pens uncapped for a while and I had to "warm them up" on a piece of scrap paper.

http://1drv.ms/1ZI0zQo (safe link)

#568 Hospitalier

Hospitalier

Rolls Royce

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 20:52

Ordinary greaseproof kitchen paper seems to be excellent at highlighting sheen, as can be seen from Sailor's Oku-Yama in the following scan;

Attached Images

• fpn.jpg

#569 IrishEyes

IrishEyes

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:24

Well... actually the real name is BlackStone... SuSeMai was the "Code Name" (Super Secret Maker of Ink)   ;)

The BlackStone Powder Inks were unveiled during the Toronto Pen Show (follow the link in my signature) ... they will be soon on the market.  They are the most amazing inks with the most amazing properties.  Lots of reviews and testing on the Inky Thoughts thread.  Look for Red Cashmere, Blue Cashmere and Black Cashmere,

If you feel like you need them NOW... drop a line to Kevin at JustWrite.com.au and gently beg for it.   :D

C.

Must have this ink! Is it available, nowadays? I sure hope so!

"In the end, only kindness matters."

#570 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2016 - 19:13

Must have this ink! Is it available, nowadays? I sure hope so!

Which one?

When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice. - A.Davis

Ghostly Avatar? 2016 Ghosts  TWSBI Loaners.   Estie Loaners

The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Colors:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks

#571 webgeckos

webgeckos

Spinner

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 1,312 posts
  • Flag: