Inks With A "sheen"

shaylenwilliams

That's some wild sheen! Looks super cool.

I am loving this Canson vellum from HalloweenHJB! It is super awesome for showing off sheen!

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• attika89

I am loving this Canson vellum from HalloweenHJB! It is super awesome for showing off sheen!

I'll look into that. I've been using rhodia and tomoe paper. But the pens I've been using are a fine nib and don't write very wet. Hopefully the medium italic FC pocket 66 might be a good candidate for showing off the sheen.

I'll look into that. I've been using rhodia and tomoe paper. But the pens I've been using are a fine nib and don't write very wet. Hopefully the medium italic FC pocket 66 might be a good candidate for showing off the sheen.

A wet pen and a broader nib can really help in the quest for sheen! Tomoe River is usually pretty good at showing sheen, more than Rhodia imo.

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

A wet pen and a broader nib can really help in the quest for sheen! Tomoe River is usually pretty good at showing sheen, more than Rhodia imo.

Yup found that out. Kinda strange though, for some reason I'm having the opposite, my tomoe shows less sheen than the rhodia.

Souten's sheen is crazy. It's almost too crazy for me, even. I don't have it inked up at the moment, but the sheen added a light red flair to the writing. It's when I used it in my (really wet) Ahab that I started seeing the oiliness. It acted strangely on paper; during reverse writing, it looked like a normal blue, no sheen. When I used a stub, Souten looked almost black on paper, all entirely sheen.

Side note; I let the Ahab sit for three weeks inked up with Souten by accident, and by the end of it about half of it dried up and the ink was really dark, "sheeny", and oily.

Souten's sheen is crazy. It's almost too crazy for me, even. I don't have it inked up at the moment, but the sheen added a light red flair to the writing. It's when I used it in my (really wet) Ahab that I started seeing the oiliness. It acted strangely on paper; during reverse writing, it looked like a normal blue, no sheen. When I used a stub, Souten looked almost black on paper, all entirely sheen.

Side note; I let the Ahab sit for three weeks inked up with Souten by accident, and by the end of it about half of it dried up and the ink was really dark, "sheeny", and oily.

Your description is making me love it all the more!

• 4 weeks later...

The upcoming new J.Herbin 1670 on Tomoe River.
http://kephost.com/images/2015/07/22/543e228b24a84f9a104d04a2db3e4e3e.jpg

http://kephost.com/images/2015/07/22/7d437bc644eed7d6935e0a60b2d97b2e.jpg

http://kephost.com/images/2015/07/22/30fd42cee3930a112ce09266d26d4d69.jpg

Sailor/BungBox 4B on Canson satin tracing paper
http://kephost.com/images/2015/07/10/41f798e172b5d8990b2243f40abd57e0.jpg

Wow, Attila! First off, I think I am changing my mind about the new Herbin green. I really don't need another ink....nope nope nope.*

Which Bung Box is the last ink? Wonderful handwriting in both shots.

*I am doomed to buy this.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ink: Diamine Sargasso Sea
Paper: I don't need no stinkin' paper. (the mess following a dud converter with a leaky seal)

post-124185-0-18676900-1441494233_thumb.jpg

Now, that is impressive sheen!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hello,

I think one ink that is surprisingly not mentioned is the Parker Penman Sapphire.

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

And, yes, I know that Émeraude de Chivor has been done to death, but I still can't get over this sheen. It's not to be believed, and apparently the light can alter the color.... Take a look:

fpn_1441677280__emerald-sheen.jpg

Top paragraph is in J. Herbin Bleu Océan, and the bottom is Émeraude. So color me impressed. :D

Edited by HalloweenHJB

And, yes, I know that Émeraude de Chivor has been done to death, but I still can't get over this sheen. It's not to be believed, and apparently the light can alter the color..

I've been hearing mutterings from some pen pal users** of Chivor regarding its performance & about the inconsistencies of the 'goldiness' and sheen. A large proportion have expressed a degree of disappointment. Indeed I received a letter yesterday written with Chivor in a medium stub nib on TR & the amount of sheen is negligible. It just looks like a standard ink; actually it's very similar to PR Blue Suede.

Of course, all the usual ink usage caveats apply, but I wonder if Herbin have been slightly remiss on their QC in the rush to get the early ink supplies out to market? There seems to be quite a variation in appearance and sheen effect.

I have the ink and am underwhelmed myself. Mind you, I'm not a big sparkly ink fan, although I love a good sheen. Long live Sweet Potato Purple! :)

** All are experienced 'sheeners' :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

Understood, and yes migo984, you may be correct that quality control may have been minimized in their rush for the début of the ink. All I can add is that since it is a rather heavy ink, it really looks best with a broad or stub nib (the top ¶ uses a Levenger True Writer with broad nib, and the lower ¶ is a Jinhao that has been modified with an "Artified" stub nib), and one that lays down a lot of ink.

Additionally, the paper I'm using is one of the "sheeniest" I've ever used: it's a lovely little notebook made for Kobe Inks (photos of each of the colors are on the front and back covers), of lovely cream-colored paper with graph lines. I would love to know who makes this paper, because it has the best qualities of Tomoe River paper, but is a little bit heavier, which I like all the more.

fpn_1441718599__kobe_notebook.jpg

fpn_1441718578__kobe_notebook-open.jpg

Understood, and yes migo984, you may be correct that quality control may have been minimized in their rush for the début of the ink. All I can add is that since it is a rather heavy ink, it really looks best with a broad or stub nib (the top ¶ uses a Levenger True Writer with broad nib, and the lower ¶ is a Jinhao that has been modified with an "Artified" stub nib), and one that lays down a lot of ink.

Additionally, the paper I'm using is one of the "sheeniest" I've ever used: it's a lovely little notebook made for Kobe Inks (photos of each of the colors are on the front and back covers), of lovely cream-colored paper with graph lines. I would love to know who makes this paper, because it has the best qualities of Tomoe River paper, but is a little bit heavier, which I like all the more.

fpn_1441718599__kobe_notebook.jpg

fpn_1441718578__kobe_notebook-open.jpg

One of my pen pals wrote with it using a very broad stubby wet nib and it was still a 'flat' colour, for want of a better description. Hopefully the QC will pick up.

Yes that paper is great. I've been through a few of the Kobe Nagasawa notebooks - I use one as my ink register. The paper is Graphilo (sp?) and you can get other notebooks made from it from some Global Rakuten shops. I'm sure I saw notepads too, but can't find them now! Old age does terrible things to memory....... :-)

The paper is Graphilo (sp?) and you can get other notebooks made from it from some Global Rakuten shops. I'm sure I saw notepads too, but can't find them now! Old age does terrible things to memory....... :-)

Indeed! But as fountain pen writers, we get special exercise to keep our minds a bit more sharp than the average person, right? At least we can tell ourselves that...

Indeed! But as fountain pen writers, we get special exercise to keep our minds a bit more sharp than the average person, right? At least we can tell ourselves that...

What do I need to keep telling myself? I've forgotten.......... ;-)

Here's the link to PenHouse, on Global Rakuten, who sells Graphilo paper, mainly in notebook form

http://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?tl=&k=Graphilo