These Are A Few Of My Favourite Things...

mallymal1

Very impressive indeed - thanks for sharing!

May I ask a few questions such as how and where do you display such a beautiful collection? Are they all together in one place where they can be seen (like a display case) or are they in a chest of drawers? Are many of them part of a set, i.e., with a matching pencil? If so, do you have many of the vintage boxes that they came in? Do you display them in the boxes? Sorry for the list of questions but I have a similar number of such vintage CS and I find that many of them are part of sets and I am trying to figure out how I want to display them.

I am just trying to get my CS collection organized - hopefully I can share some pics of them when I do!

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mallymal1

• dannyboy

• Hetty

• MikeW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! Talk about "classic" and classy--here's definition of those terms. And Hurrah! for that 58 that snuck in. Really, really nice pens. Maybe you could show us writing samples of some of your favorites sometime. Many thanks for showing us these two sets of pens.

I take it that the 58 is a bit of a favourite with you dannyboy? Do you have one / use one?

VERY nice collection. I've a long way to go....

F

Thank you floydee...do you have a few Conways?

Very impressive indeed - thanks for sharing!

May I ask a few questions such as how and where do you display such a beautiful collection? Are they all together in one place where they can be seen (like a display case) or are they in a chest of drawers? Are many of them part of a set, i.e., with a matching pencil? If so, do you have many of the vintage boxes that they came in? Do you display them in the boxes? Sorry for the list of questions but I have a similar number of such vintage CS and I find that many of them are part of sets and I am trying to figure out how I want to display them.

I am just trying to get my CS collection organized - hopefully I can share some pics of them when I do!

Hello Mike, I store all my vintage Conway Stewart pens in five drawer cases made by FPN member 'pencase' (aka Geoff Morris). This keeps them away from light which might fade the colours. When I want to display a few pens, I just take out one of the trays, and use that.

As for the boxed sets, I only have about a dozen. Again, those are kept in a cupboard out of the light, and harms way...till I want to use one. Then the set comes out onto display.

The best thing I've seen for displaying Conway sets was...a Conway Stewart display cabinet, salvaged fron a pen shop. Absolutely brilliant!...if you've got the space for it!

I think though, that something along those lines might suit you. You could have one made, to suit your own space / requirements.

I'd love to see some pics of your pens...after all, it's a really good way to display them. :thumbup:

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for getting back to me. I would love a CS display case, however, as I am in Canada, the likelihood of me finding one here (rather than having one shipped from London at a cost that I am sure would be prohibitive) is zero. The picture below will give you some idea of the display case that I am hoping to use (a repurposed floor to ceiling book case with clear glass doors), at least the very beginnings of what I will use to display primarily my vintage CS and Swan (although there are others in the case now, they will be put in a Geoff Morris case). The vast majority of my CS pens are not in sets and so, I have to figure out a way to display them here as well - this has about half of my ~20 sets. I also have a number of reprinted CS brochures and other ephemera that cannot be seen. Also, I haven't let my wife do her magic with this display yet so I am sure the end product will look much different and improved!

post-855-0-77585000-1309780407.jpg

Thanks again!

Mike

MikeW

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for getting back to me. I would love a CS display case, however, as I am in Canada, the likelihood of me finding one here (rather than having one shipped from London at a cost that I am sure would be prohibitive) is zero. The picture below will give you some idea of the display case that I am hoping to use (a repurposed floor to ceiling book case with clear glass doors), at least the very beginnings of what I will use to display primarily my vintage CS and Swan (although there are others in the case now, they will be put in a Geoff Morris case). The vast majority of my CS pens are not in sets and so, I have to figure out a way to display them here as well - this has about half of my ~20 sets. I also have a number of reprinted CS brochures and other ephemera that cannot be seen. Also, I haven't let my wife do her magic with this display yet so I am sure the end product will look much different and improved!

post-855-0-77585000-1309780407.jpg

Thanks again!

Mike

That looks like a great start, Mike, even without your wife working her magic! Makes me wonder if I shouldn't find room to display a few pens.

What would be your favourites, amongst that amazing collection?

:thumbup:

Wow! Talk about "classic" and classy--here's definition of those terms. And Hurrah! for that 58 that snuck in. Really, really nice pens. Maybe you could show us writing samples of some of your favorites sometime. Many thanks for showing us these two sets of pens.

I take it that the 58 is a bit of a favourite with you dannyboy? Do you have one / use one?

Yes, I'll admit to a fascination with the CS58 both vintage and modern. I must have at least 8 or so vintage ones and maybe 5 of the modern version. Great writers, all of them! Interesting range of colors in the vintage!

What a gorgeous collection. Thanks for sharing. :notworthy1:

Dave

Thankful for being blessed with a genteel life and wonderful wife

Yes, I'll admit to a fascination with the CS58 both vintage and modern. I must have at least 8 or so vintage ones and maybe 5 of the modern version. Great writers, all of them! Interesting range of colors in the vintage!

Malcolm,

Thanks for your kind words.

As for my favourites, while it is difficult to see from the picture there are 3 sets of 388s with pencils - black/green, mauve and plain black (I like the size and the 3 cap rings of this particular model. There is a beautiful red herringbone 27 (another favourite model), a green/black 24 (I like the girth of the 24) with pencil and finally, one of the best CS colours that I have seen, a blue/gray 84 and pencil.

In general, I like the CS models that have some length and/or girth to them such as the 27, 55, 60 and 388. What I can't believe is that I do not have any 286s - but that will be remedied as soon as I find some, thanks to your collection!

Rather than hijack this thread with my questions and picture, perhaps I should start another topic on displaying our pens?

Mike

Edited by MikeW

MikeW

Beautiful pens, quite a collection, I've only two -- a blue 15 and a lovely little black 84.

Your photography is stunning! Thank you for sharing these.

Hi, dannyboy, what about a photo of your 58's? I only have a couple (one of which is black of course), and I would love to see some of the vintage colours, along with the moderns.

It's a great pen...maybe a contender for post-war classic status?

What a gorgeous collection. Thanks for sharing. :notworthy1:

My pleasure. Thank you for your comment, Dave. :notworthy1:

Beautiful pens, quite a collection, I've only two -- a blue 15 and a lovely little black 84.

Your photography is stunning! Thank you for sharing these.

Thanks Doug...in my spare time, when I'm not accumulating (love that word - was it Jar who started using it here?) fountain pens, I'm out taking nature study photos...just as a hobby that is. So I have quite a good camera, and it's that, that makes all the difference. Honest. :embarrassed_smile:

A blue 15 and black 84...a perfect example of 'less is more'. You have two exquisite pens there. :thumbup:

The Conway Stewart 286

This is the Conway Stewart model that I have focused on, for no other particular reason than it was the first CS model I bought, and I thought it was brilliant. :wub:

I hope I've got most of the dates correct. If I haven't...please let me know.

http://www.pbase.com/mallymal1/image/136238732/original.jpg

Left to right:

Black - Earliest example I have with fixed clip and locking lever. c. 1928?

Black Chased (though most of chasing is worn away) - flat top, ball clip, and lollipop lever. c. 1931-35?

Black - Flat top, ball clip, and lollipop lever. Up to 1935.

Black - Peaked top, diamond clip and lever. 1936-1949? The peaked cap and diamond logo were introduced c.1936 on CS's top-end models.

Black - Nickel plate clip, non CS, and lever. Either replacements or WWII fittings.

Black - WWII engraving. Australian serviceman SX 19125 A. Badcock.

Black - With engraved cap band. E.L. BURTON FROM R.N.D. SWANSEA Nov 1945. Anyone know what R.N.D. stands for?

Black - With engraved cap band. A.E. Walker 16/12/44

Dark Brown

Dark Green

http://www.pbase.com/mallymal1/image/136238733/original.jpg

Left to right:

Early Marbled Blue - Flat top, ball clip, lollipop lever. 1930-35.

Marbled Blue - Post 1935.

Marbled Burgundy - Post 1935.

Marbled Green - Post 1935.

Marbled Light Blue - Available 1938/39?

Marbled Red - Available 1938/39?

Marbled Light Green - Available 1938/39?

Marbled Brown - The top, clip, lever seem to date this around 1931-35.

Marbled Olive - The colour seems to go with the previous 'Brown' but the furniture is later...1936 onwards.

Hatched Green - I havn't seen any other hatched colour, maybe this is a WWII model, when CS were using any stock they had (or could borrow), to manufacture their pens.

http://www.pbase.com/mallymal1/image/136238734/original.jpg

Ink-visible Green/Amber - WWII model. During WWII because of Government restrictions, CS used Black caps on a number of coloured bodies. They also used materials borrowed from other pen companies.

Ink-visible Red Marble.

Ink-visible Pink Hatch - This colour was probably borrowed from the 700 or 475, as can be seen below.

The 475 Pink Hatch Ink-Visible.

'Cracked Ice' - Actually Black and White Marble. This example has Gold coloured veins.

'Cracked Ice' - Silver Veins.

'Cracked Ice' - Siver veins.

'Reverse Cracked Ice' - What colour would this have been? Maybe 'Cracked Ice'. :hmm1:

So, quite a few examples of the 286, but I have to stress, that there are a lot of colours out there which I don't have. :crybaby:

Within all this, there are some short barrel variations...maybe another WWII measure to save on raw materials...and variations of imprint.

If you have any 286's not featured here...and want to part with them...I'm your man. Finances permitting!!!! :thumbup:

Exquisite collection of 286s, Malcolm. At the moment, I only have one, but I love it. Do you use the pens? I live in Bradford and work in Leeds! What a small world!

Hetty

:notworthy1:

Simply stunning collection Malcolm. Thanks for sharing

My pleasure, shrieku. :thumbup:

Exquisite collection of 286s, Malcolm. At the moment, I only have one, but I love it. Do you use the pens? I live in Bradford and work in Leeds! What a small world!

Hetty

Thanks Hetty.

If you have but one, and love it...why would you want more? I just went a bit over the top with the 286. :embarrassed_smile:

I do indeed use them, and have derived a great deal of pleasure from that.

How do you find your 286 as a writer?

Hi Mallymal1, I think you may have answered a question of mine...One of my 286's is a pen I inheritated from my late grandmother which she purchased during the war years. The colour is described in Jonathan's Book of Numbers as "Autumn Leaves" Marbled Rose & Brown but it DOES have a plain dark brown cap...I could never understand why the cap did not match the barrel colour...Now I know why.

It really is a beautiful pen and a great writer..One of the favourites in my pen collection.

Hi Mallymal1, I think you may have answered a question of mine...One of my 286's is a pen I inheritated from my late grandmother which she purchased during the war years. The colour is described in Jonathan's Book of Numbers as "Autumn Leaves" Marbled Rose & Brown but it DOES have a plain dark brown cap...I could never understand why the cap did not match the barrel colour...Now I know why.

It really is a beautiful pen and a great writer..One of the favourites in my pen collection.

So glad you've found an answer to the cap/barrel conundrum, kulindi, and I would love to see a photo of your granmother's pen...what a treasure that must be. The "Autumn Leaves" pattern is quite beautiful, isn't it.