The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Namiki Falcon

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GClef

GClef

The Manny™ - Part 107 Pilot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2011 - 19:48

Don't be fooled with the sample. This is not a flex nib...it's hardly even a semi-flex, but like the nib marking shows, it's a "soft" nib, with the ability to open with the right pressure.

Posted Image

Edited by GClef, 21 June 2011 - 19:51.

Sponsored Content

#2 JohnM

JohnM

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 20:24

Thanks for the nice review and picture. Were all of the words written with the Fine nib? If so, I'm amazed at the line width with heavier pressure. I just ordered a Falcon with Medium nib and am now wondering if I should have gone Fine!
John

#3 GClef

GClef

The Manny™ - Part 107 Pilot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2011 - 20:29

Thanks for the nice review and picture. Were all of the words written with the Fine nib? If so, I'm amazed at the line width with heavier pressure. I just ordered a Falcon with Medium nib and am now wondering if I should have gone Fine!
John

The entire page is from the soft fine.
I have not tried the soft medium, but I did read somewhere that it is much smoother than this fine, which is toothy if you don't find the sweet spot, which in my case took a lot of practice. And I still misplace it sometimes.

Edited by GClef, 21 June 2011 - 20:29.

#4 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2011 - 21:45

my falcon nib, SF, is VERY smooth, with or without pressure. luck of the draw, I guess.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#5 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2011 - 22:58

Love my BB, which feels like a wet F until I smush on it :cloud9:

#6 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,369 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:03

My Fine Falcon (which I sold) was too stiff to even be called a semiflex. I could flex it without fear of damaging it (Falcons and FA nibs are mounted to feeds that are "long"; the feed hits the paper before the nib gets sprung) but it was like doing one-armed pushups.
I bought a second hand medium Falcon that I'll never sell. It's on the verge of being a noodle (a semi-noodle?). It doesn't snap back as quickly as my modified FA but its really easy to go from very fine out to very broad and back (I use dry inks in it).
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#7 PinarelloOnly

PinarelloOnly

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 13:56

I found, as a previous poster described, a sweet spot that I happened to notice
only if the nib was rotated too much while writing, or with some types of writing,
not rotated correctly.

I also found you have to use the correct inks with the Falcon to get what you want
out of the pen. Aurora inks really seemed to make the Falcon glide in normal everyday
writing but if you were someone who wrote with a lot of flair, you would want a drier ink.

#8 young.1429

young.1429

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 16:22

Thanks, that is beautiful hand writing! I see that some people describe the fine nib as toothy, while others say it is smooth. Maybe its a case of different people having different tastes, but is there a great deal of variation in the nibs? I've always found my Japanese nibs to be very consistent...

#9 PinarelloOnly

PinarelloOnly

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 18:59

Nice review by the way.

AND

I think the Namiki Falcon right now owns the best pen for the money crown.

Not many pens with a true 14k nib of that caliber and performance can be had
cheaper or even better than that pen.

#10 Inkstain

Inkstain

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 14:27

I have the all metal Falcon and the standard resin pen. I am really impressed by the review and think it is right on target. I wish I could write as well, but I'm now ashamed to put up a sample! :-) My metal falcon writes with a nearly perfect fine line. It is scratchy, but somehow this does not detract from the writing. It is a good everyday writer (skips sometimes, but is still relatively new and could use a flush or two), and feels really solid. The nib is soft not flexi, but is great for keeping within the lines in finer work. Not a flashy pen but a solid one. Not sure if I'll keep it as I have so many others that do the job and also render a lot of visual satisfaction. But for now, I'll keep it for at least another filling.

I also have the resin falcon with soft nib which I got from Pendleton after he worked on it and got it down to a .70mm. (NOTE: no association with Pendledton). The work on the nib was excellent and it flexes more with plenty of variation in the line. I may sell it as I am not that concerned with my style and this pen is all about style. I think someone else could really put it to good use. It is fun to write with and for me, I'd be pulling it out every so often for the fun factor.

in any case, the Falcon pens are definitely good value, fun, solid writers, and in the hands of a good penman (as you can see) a real treasure!

Thanks for the review! Please post more!!!!!

#11 handwriter

handwriter

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2011 - 16:00

Very nice review and handwriting. I concur is a good idea to use a NF for a while if one get serious about using a flex nib further than for a isolated florishing, at least this is what I did. The bad part is, now that I have vintage pens with the "real thing", my Namiki rests in a drawer unused :crybaby:
I'm a user, baby. We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

#12 Alexandra

Alexandra

Inked and Ready

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:36

My Falcon seems to get better with age and I just love your handwriting. Posted Image
www.lettermatters.com
P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

#13 lamder

lamder

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:06

Don't be fooled with the sample. This is not a flex nib...it's hardly even a semi-flex, but like the nib marking shows, it's a "soft" nib, with the ability to open with the right pressure.

Posted Image

Thanks for the review. Showing writing using different amounts of pressure on a 5mm grid is very illuminating. Given how many have said the Falcon cannot compare to vintage flex, I am surprised that there is noticeable line variation even under low pressure (like!). Even more of a surprise is that among the small letters ("Here's a review..."), presumably done under the lightest of pressure, there still appear to be variation in line widths and ink flow (not sure I quite like that).

Sam

Sponsored Content

|