An Iconic Nib - From Us To China To India

shrujaya

Abhik…long time…thanks for visiting and reading…good to know that I am not alone in my search for the Sheaffer Triumph…and thanks for reminding me of Hari’s conical gold nib Ratnamson FP…I had missed it totally…adds another dimension to the ‘conical nibs in India’ saga…

Flounder…hope you saw how the LILY looks like from Hari’s link to ebay…

Parkerbeta…thanks for your words of encouragement…yeah…those were the days when Reynolds had not yet started manufacturing pens in India, and those Dubai-boys would bring to school those imported use-and-throw Reynolds ball pens that their fathers brought for them …it was totally new to all of us and it wrote oh so smoothly without fear of leakings…those were the days...wish I could go back in time and reclaim all those Wilsons that I put aside...I used to have a fat Duofold type FP in orange, which I think was a Wilson...sigh!!

Regards,

Jai

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shrujaya

• hari317

• Flounder

• lovemy51

I don't mean to stray too far off topic, but I have heard it is hard to get a Ratnamson outside of India. I have always admired their custom made gold nibs... I mean who else would actually make a special nib for you these days?

Gobblecup ~

• 7 months later...

Sir,

Wing sung conical nibs are also available as spare nibs. I found a couple at a local store. They were in a round wing sung tin box. The nibs were two toned as in case of your brahman black and ratnam brown nibs.

Best Regards,

Swayam

• 1 month later...

Very interesting post Jai.

India was a huge market for the Chinese pens, the nibs were available as spares, packed in boxes of one gross nibs each. during my school days from 1982 to 1994 the wing snugs were considered the deluxe chinese pens, you also had the LILY pen with the inlaid nib a superb pen, alas I cannot find the LILY pens anymore.

hi, hari. i found a Lily pen... i PMed you!

• 9 years later...

I saw a WingSung 840 today; conical nib is very aesthetic in a fountain pen.

Apart from aesthetics, is there any property that is of value for a conical nib? Are they more wet, or resistant to drying compared to classic nibs?

I was searching for conical nib Indian pens and found this 10-year old thread.

Model #42 from Ratnamson is not made now I think.

Does anybody know whether any Indian penmakers produce pens with conical nibs now?

If there is sufficient interest, we may be able to persuade somebody to make such a pen...

On 7/9/2021 at 8:56 PM, bestillmysoul said:

I saw a WingSung 840 today; conical nib is very aesthetic in a fountain pen.

Apart from aesthetics, is there any property that is of value for a conical nib? Are they more wet, or resistant to drying compared to classic nibs?

I was searching for conical nib Indian pens and found this 10-year old thread.

Model #42 from Ratnamson is not made now I think.

Does anybody know whether any Indian penmakers produce pens with conical nibs now?

If there is sufficient interest, we may be able to persuade somebody to make such a pen...

Pen hero iirc has an interesting article on these “sheath-point” nibs. 

Indian ebonite artisanal pens used the steel wing sung nibs. Versions with 14ct gold handmade nibs were in-house. Sad to hear that the 42 is no longer offered. Steel nib 42 was discontinued long back.  Never could buy one. 

Since there is no nib other than the wingsung on the market why not simply buy a wingsung pen. Unless you have an old wingsung whose nib feed you want to reuse. 
the 233 with the golden cap was the iconic wingsung. Back then I had no idea that the pen was a copy of the sheaffer crest. I realised this only when my grandfather showed me his triumph tuck away purchased from gem and co a lifetime back. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.