What Pen To Get For My Teacher?

Rimdeker

"Der Beamte darf, auch nach Beendigung des Beamtenverhältnisses, keine Belohnungen oder Geschenke in Bezug auf sein Amt annehmen. Ausnahmen bedürfen der Zustimmung der obersten oder der letzten obersten Dienstbehörde. Die Befugnis zur Zustimmung kann auf nachgeordnete Behörden übertragen werden."

Vielleicht besteht an der Schule eine interne Regelung der Schulleitung, bis zu welchem geringfügigen Betrag solche Geschenke genehmigt werden, eventuell sogar automatisch ohne ausdrückliche Bitte um Zustimmung in jedem Einzelfall. Dies sollte vorher erfragt werden.

Oh wow, that means I mustn't really give him anything. Least nothing expensive like a pen. I think that's very harsh to not let a teacher accept gifts, even though there is no way it can put the former student into a favorable position. Darn.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rimdeker

• JefferyS

• Koyote

• bassopotamus

This might well explain why I never got any gift from any student. I always assumed it was because I didn't deserve any gratitude. But now, it actually makes sense.

Edit: If you are a former student of mine, remember it's never too late to send me your gift. Thanks.

Edited by DanielB

Quan el centre del món no ets ben bé tu (per més que en tinguis la il·lusió),

si et desvetllaven enmig de la nit, no vulguis preguntar-te per què vius:

distreu-te rosegant l'ungla d'un dit. [I beg your pardon, Salvador Espriu]

At the university level, there may be a faculty handbook that covers potential conflicts of interest.

At my university, gifts of inconsequential or no monetary value are allowed while a professor is grading or on a thesis/dissertation committee. Bringing a case of home-brewed beer to the department BBQ at a faculty member's home is okay; giving them a $100 bottle of scotch is not. Afterwards ... well, the university cannot regulate the activities or relationships of two adults unless there are nepotism concerns.

At the secondary school level, it's probably best to ask the instructor's direct supervisor. Even if the instructor will never assign you another grade.

No matter what, write a well-thought out thank you letter. If you're planning or attending university, send a copy of your diploma and another thank you letter in a few years.

In answer to the OP's original question, I know you think your teacher might not like a rollerball, but he might get a real kick out of the Acme rollerball that looks like a #2 pencil. I have given it to students for graduation presents, and to a friend who is a professor and pencil collector. Don't know if you can find one in Germany, but here's one to view: http://www.penplace.com/yellow.html

No affiliation, but I knew they happened to sell them. BTW, I also love the Acme Crayon rollerballs; I own two, and am trying hard to avoid buying a collection of them.

As for gifts, I am a college professor, and have received gifts from students and former students. My doctoral grads often (but not always) give me a remembrance upon graduation; no pens, but most recently I have received wands, wine, and books. And bobbleheads of Freud (I'm a psychologist). My international students often bring me presents from their home countries when they return to campus from trips home; this is especially true for the ones who come from countries where gift giving and honoring professors is a norm. In those cases, I usually receive tea or biscuits.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

A couple of things (from another college professor's POV):

1) I've received gifts from students -- small ones seem OK, but the more expensive they appear, the more awkward it is to accept them.

2) A note from the heart means more, when it comes down to it.

Wayne

Wayne

I second this...And now, if you write to him a few years after graduating, with a word of how what he taught you really helped you in some situatio.....that really hits home.....a message from beyond the grave, so to speak ;)

Wayne

I second this...And now, if you write to him a few years after graduating, with a word of how what he taught you really helped you in some situatio.....that really hits home.....a message from beyond the grave, so to speak ;)

I third this. A message to warm his heart like how he warmed yours. If you really insist on giving a pen, you could give it a few years after graduating. I think that would be save enough to not be called bribing. Just a token of appreciation.

• 4 years later...

The OP has stated that he is a former student, not a current one. I'd say go ahead and get him a nice pen! It's difficult to imagine a gift from a former student having any consequences at all for a teacher.

As a teacher, I'd never accept a gift from a current student. But a former one? It would be rude to refuse.

Just my opinion though.
P.

D. Morreale

www.throttleandtorque.com

"The storm front towered above them and the wind was cool on their sweating faces. They slumped bleary-eyed in their saddles and looked at one another. Shrouded in the black thunderheads the distant lightning glowed mutely like welding seen through foundry smoke. As if repairs were under way at some flawed place in the iron dark of the world.”

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

I think the OP is just fine now because the thread is like 5 years ago :)

My first one is the memorable moments we had.

It's the second in that that impresses me.

Noteworthy, the third, is how you've always been.

There it is, the last one, let it all combine: my love.

I think the OP is just fine now because the thread is like 5 years ago :)

Probably, but you never know. He might still be agonising over this. Just trying to be helpful...ha ha?

D. Morreale

www.throttleandtorque.com

"The storm front towered above them and the wind was cool on their sweating faces. They slumped bleary-eyed in their saddles and looked at one another. Shrouded in the black thunderheads the distant lightning glowed mutely like welding seen through foundry smoke. As if repairs were under way at some flawed place in the iron dark of the world.”

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

Highly unlikely....Op joined March 14, 2011....Offline since October 12, 2011....

Anyway.. Welcome Aboard. Enjoy your time here....

Your friend and mine..

Fred

who has a Lamy Vista inked keepin' the others company....

{freakin'happysmileyfacetimethingie}

• 2 years later...

I am a chemistry professor. Last birthday my student gave me a very unique and useful pen, Periodic Table Pen. I really like it and i daily care of it. I never forget to keep it when I going to collage.

I am a chemistry professor. Last birthday my student gave me a very unique and useful pen, Periodic Table Pen. I really like it and i daily care of it. I never forget to keep it when I going to collage.

Congratulations on your becoming a Chemistry Professor.....Since April.....https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/72784-which-ink-for-lab-notebooks/?p=4033931

Interesting link.....Can you put up a scan and or photograph of the pen the student gave you......

Thank you.

Fred