Onoto De La Rue 6233

adi2009_0812

This is a comparative review of the Onoto De La Rue 6233 pen. I have had this pen for a couple of days now and I will be comparing it to my benchmark - the Sailor Pro Gear.

This would ordinarily be a tall ask for any pen (modern and vintage). Let's see how the Onoto fairs. For me, a pen has to be useable. Being a vintage should not give the pen any privileges i.e. - being excused handicap for normal use.

First Appearance- 10/10

The Pen is long and slender. And it is incredibly light. The first thought that crossed when i started writing with it is of a pencil. You don not feel the weight of the pen in your hand at all. And secondly, the pen feels incredibly well made. That this pen is older than my grandma does not show on it. I have been lucky in getting a near mint piece - but even then- In my hand I could not say- this pen has more than a 100 years on it!!

Fit/Finish - 9/10

First thing I notice for fit is how it smoothly the cap opens and closes. For this pen - 1 turn exactly. In a meeting - this will be a boon. One turn open and write down a note. Another turn, close and in the pocket.

The clip is firm but flexible. This will easily slip into a shirt or the liner of a suit pocket. But I think to plug it between folders or in a jeans pocket will be a push.

The pen has great texture in the hand. The barley pattern on the body lends it a very rustic feel. Like touching a loaf of bread( atleast in my mind.) And the ebonite warms up to the touch. I would put the fit and finish on par with a Sailor.

Filling - 8/10

This is the part that I am still fascinated about. The plunger filler fills on the down-stroke. The plunger journey ends in a satisfying "pop" as the suction is broken and the pen fills up. The only draw back I can imagine to this mechanism is if you want to empty a full container. Will I spray myself with ink if i try and extend the plunger when the pen is full of ink? Naturally it is a question I would rather have answered that try myself. I love the fact that this holds a ton of Ink. I have been scribbling, sketching ( the pencil likeness lends to that) and writing for four days now without a refill. To give an idea, I generally tend to have my sailor filled once a day- so this is quite a while for a pen in my hands. The only -ve for me is that I cannot see the ink level.

Nib- 11/10

Ahhhh!!! Soft. That is what I would call the nib. It is not a flex nib. But it is soft. Soft like only vintage pens are. Combine that nib with a body which has the weight and feel of a pencil, and you get a pen which is great for jotting notes, scribbling down thoughts and general everyday use. The pen has just enough feedback to be noticed - so you know where you are but it is still smooth. Not sailor smooth mind you - but I suspect if sailor made flexible nibs- this would be very close

Price - 6/10

This is the most expensive pen I have bought till date. Enough said. It cost me approximately 180 pounds excluding shipping in the UK. Specimens in average state go for around 100 pounds on ebay these days; so I consider it to be fair value. A near mint pen of this vintage will always be a sought after commodity. So I consider this good investment.

Conclusion-

Onoto's are from the heyday of fountain pens. To use the clich'e- they don't make em like that anymore. These were times when a fountain pen was a daily instrument and these are the qualities I love about this pen. A light weight body, great feel in the hand which begs to be written.

Attached here is a small writing sample with this pen:-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ1HfQ8zKKw

post-46425-0-20155800-1308603636.jpg

post-46425-0-88597500-1308603645.jpg

post-46425-0-56159300-1308603660.jpg

post-46425-0-76581700-1308603688.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adi2009_0812

• richardandtracy

• akrishna59

• DanielCoffey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

that is a precise review of a pen with a name which is part of history.

enjoy your pen.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

Like you, I adore the nib in my 6233. Nice review of a beautiful pen.

However I do find the pen hard to live with in an office environment where I use the pen regularly, but put it down frequently, allowing it to cool off. This makes the pen blob quite badly as it warms up again and I end up having to re-fill daily, and often leave ink splatters about the place as I turn to answer queries.

Regards,

Richard.

I had read the same in a lot of reviews about the pen before I picked one up.

But I find that once you twist the end to lock the pen, there is no dripping or blobbing.

I think that issue might have to do with the quality and shape of replacement seals used when the pen gets refurbished.

Well worth looking into to make sure you get the right kind of seals in your pen. You should be able to lock off the ink supply- and when you need to write, a gentle twist to open - the pen should write without any dripping or blobbing.!!

:bunny01:

I wish you all the best selling the pen. I have just ordered a modern Onoto magna 261 direct from David at Onoto but the 6233 would not suit my writing style - I change ink colours frequently which is the one advantage of the modern c/c pens. It is good to hear of an old pen that has been properly restored!