Mechanical Pencil Suggestions For A Pure Math Graduate Student

jniforat

I'm partial to the Rotring Initial pencil, which has become my go-to pencil. Reliable, looks good and feels very balanced in the hand. Also Shouldn't be too hard to find/expensive as I think Rotring's been discontinued in N. America - check out Streetfair on eBay.

FWIW, I'm partial to 0.7mm leads (less prone to breakage IMHO) but I know they produced a 0.5mm version. The eraser is decent, although you have to remove the cap to access it.

HTH!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jniforat

• streeton

• stuartk

• Ethereal Winter Wind

It drives me crazy when people use my pencil erasers. I actually go so far as to force a Staedtler Mars plastic eraser (my pick for the eraser to get him....do not let him become one of those people who rubs away with a tiny junk eraser only to tear the page) into their hand if they are so unlucky as to ask me to borrow a pencil.

As for the actual pencil, a price range would be nice.

Pentel Kerry is a very good one, but more everyday use than drafting/math/engineering.

My choice for math is a Graphgear 1000. ~$12-20, built well, sturdy, and easy to hold.

As an engineering/phyiscs student, I do a lot of math. I am betting your brother does more proof-ish things whereas I do applicable math, but the concept is the same. The Graphgear is great.

Also consider a staedtler 925 25-xx. A bit different from the pentel in use, but looks and general feeling are about the same.

Nkk

i totally forgot about the graphgear. thanks for the reminder! i'll also look into the staedtler!

Pentel Graph 1000 for Pro (Not Graphgear 1000). Forget about the idea of thin drafting pencil and large eraser in the same package - it just ain't gonna happen.

yeah -- i'm trying to tell him that it's not a realistic combo

yeh get the most expensive kuru toga, (15 dollars from jetpens no affiliation etc.) its in my opinion the perfect pencil

the expensive one? the metal version, you mean? i don't like the end of the metal version one, looks like an L2K mp...

One of my friends here is a pot-doc scholar at the Univ of Michigan's Math Dept. he got his PhD from one of the 2 schools in Cambridge, Mass. You know, the one with a 3 letter name? :)

Anyways, he uses an Alvin Draftmatic mechanical pencil in o.5mm, and he says he doesnt use the built-in eraser, becasue the erasers arent any good. He just carries one of those white Staedler erasers in his pencil bag.

These Alvin mechanical pencils are about $10 or $11 apiece.

These pencils have a knurled metal grip area, and the body is also made of a metal tube with a rubberized coating. it is a very well made pencil

Alvin Draftmatic Pencil in 0.5mm, from Amazon

Amazon is charging about $12.00, but you can buy these Alvin pencils in most college or art book and supply stores for a buck or two less. I think I paid $9.95 for mine in 0.9mm a year or so back.

Another good pencil is the Pilot Shaker pencil in 0.5mm, Ithink Jetpens carries them.

i use the Alvin Drat-tec, and i love it. I'll probably give him one too along with a pencil i'm looking to purchase. Looks like your friend will have a great math career!

my favorite pencil ATM is the Pilot H1005. Man, I wish they still made the metal grip version and the .3mm version. So sad these went out of production.

what about the Rotring Rapid Pro series. Those look sweet.

anyone have a metal grip Pilot H1xxx or H2xxx or H3xxx series still :/?

The Uni-Ball Kuru Toga Roulette and the Rotring 600 are far and away the most popular pencils we carry, and with good reason. The auto lead rotation mechanism on the Kuru Toga works great and would be perfect for a heavy user. The Rotring is a classic and one of the best looking technical pencils ever made, imo.

And you will still have to talk him into having an eraser on the side. :)

- Brad

JetPens.com - Japanese Pens and Stationery

http://www.jetpens.com/images/jetpens_logo.gif

Find us on Facebook and Twitter.

I have the kuro toga (uniball that rotates lead), and for maths its perfect, the blance is good, the grip is good, it takes 0.5 leads, and the rotating means you have a sharp lead always. Because you cant write in maths in joint, and you always take your pencil up, the rotating mechanism works like a dream... Its GREAT

I have a couple of Kuro Toga pencils too, and they're very nice to write with. Not everyone likes them though, because there's a slight amount of give when you touch the lead to the paper due to the actuation of the mechanism that rotates the lead.

Platinum makes some very nice pencils. I like the Pro-use I. http://www.jetpens.com/Platinum-Pro-Use-I-05-Drafting-Pencil-0.5-mm/pd/1460 I'd rate it as a bit better than the Staedtler 925 (which I also have).

The Parker Jotter mechanical pencil is another favorite of mine.

I almost never use the erasers that come with the pencils. They're only for emergency use, and I'm actually more likely to just cross out mistakes than use the built-in eraser.

Perhaps you could get him some erasers too? I like the Pentel Hi-Polymer ones. The Uni-ball Boxy is very good too.

This eraser looks interesting too:

http://www.jetpens.com/Tombow-Mono-Zero-Eraser-2.3-mm-Circle-Silver-Body/pd/1747

If he absolutely won't settle for a separate eraser, the Pentel Quicker Clicker has a decent-sized built-in eraser. There are also some pencils with retractable erasers, like the Pentel Twist Erase.

Most of the "luxury" mechanical pencils come only in 0.7mm, but some Parker Sonnets come in 0.5mm. This one is a good deal: http://www.penboutique.com/p-5044-parker-sonnet-midnight-blue-mechanical-pencil-05mm.aspx However, I actually think some of the less expensive and more utilitarian pencils write better.

The Rotring is a classic and one of the best looking technical pencils ever made, imo.

I have one of the Rotrings and several Koh-i-noor technical pencils that are similar, and I don't like any of them for regular writing. The Rotring is too heavy, so I never use it. The Koh-i-noors are ok for drafting, although I still prefer the Pentel P205 over anything else for drafting.

Actually, if I could only have one mechanical pencil, it would be a Pentel P205. It's very versatile, kind of classic-looking, comfortable to write with, and extremely durable. (I got my first P205 in the early '70s and I'm still using it.)

Most of the "luxury" mechanical pencils come only in 0.7mm, but some Parker Sonnets come in 0.5mm. This one is a good deal: http://www.penboutique.com/p-5044-parker-sonnet-midnight-blue-mechanical-pencil-05mm.aspx However, I actually think some of the less expensive and more utilitarian pencils write better.

Sorry, I just realized that this one is listed as out-of-stock.

Also, they're twist-advance, not push-button. It looks like Waterman pencils are twist-action too.

But how about a Lamy 2000 pencil? Looks like Dave likes his: http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com/2006/10/lamy-2000-mechanical-pencil-review.html

Edited by stuartk

The Uni-Ball Kuru Toga Roulette and the Rotring 600 are far and away the most popular pencils we carry, and with good reason. The auto lead rotation mechanism on the Kuru Toga works great and would be perfect for a heavy user. The Rotring is a classic and one of the best looking technical pencils ever made, imo.

And you will still have to talk him into having an eraser on the side. :)

- Brad

thanks, brad! Yeah, that roulette model kuru toga is growing on me! looks like i'll have to order one, at least for myself, in a day or two from you!

Take a look at the new Retro 51 pencils, they almost look like the old Rotring pencils

but at a much better price point.

UPDATE: My brother said he really like the look of the Pentel Kerry and the Rotring Rapid Pro, both in .5mm. He's a bit nervous about the size of the eraser, but he if I get him a supply of erasers to fit in the pencils, then he would love one of the two. I'll probably get him both, as well as a Tombow eraser to try to convert him!

keep the suggestions coming. i'm gonna wait another week to buy to see what else you guys / gals can suggest :)

Hello Everyone,

Well, my brother...

[*]and it needs to have a decent erases

thanks so much in advance,

j

I'm a math and engineering guy, and I've always used mechanical pencils. I've always had a variety of kewl pencils, but as far as erasers, I was never without my Staedtler Mars plastic eraser. Accept no other. The eraser in the pencil was always just for the emergency if I ever forgot my good eraser.

Tim

Edited by TimF

The Rotring is a classic and one of the best looking technical pencils ever made, imo.

I have one of the Rotrings and several Koh-i-noor technical pencils that are similar, and I don't like any of them for regular writing. The Rotring is too heavy, so I never use it. The Koh-i-noors are ok for drafting, although I still prefer the Pentel P205 over anything else for drafting.

Actually, if I could only have one mechanical pencil, it would be a Pentel P205. It's very versatile, kind of classic-looking, comfortable to write with, and extremely durable. (I got my first P205 in the early '70s and I'm still using it.)

if the 600 is too heavy, try the 500...

if the 600 is too heavy, try the 500...

Agree with those sentiments - I have hundreds of mechanical pencils but the P205 is always next to me ... BUT the Rotring 500 is also an excellent pencil as is the much maligned Parker jotter plastic barrel pencil. Its the long, slim tapering nose cone and 4mm lead sleeve that gives the P205 such amazing clear visuals at the pencil tip.

Edited by streeton

yeh get the most expensive kuru toga, (15 dollars from jetpens no affiliation etc.) its in my opinion the perfect pencil

+1 great pencil for maths which requires a sharp edge!

• 1 month later...

Just got my kuru toga Roulette and subsequently answered a few issues for myself as I ground away at a few pages of text and figures. As always, your mileage may vary.

The ratcheting of the rotating mechanism is so minor that you'd have to be a freaking heart surgeon to have it bother you in any significant way. it doesn't feel sloppy or loose, and the line appears right where you expect it to appear when writing. I'm a fairly light writer and didn't have to adjust my hold or jam down on the thign to get it to work, so this was a complete non-issue.

The effect on the line of the constantly rotating lead is like this: Neat. I like not having my letters and number get 'fuzzy' when I forget to rotate my old pencils (yeah, it happens sometimes) and from the way my line stays consistent and even with this pen I know I'm going to be using one and replacing it as necessary for a long time.

"Spend all you want! We'll print more!" - B. S. (What's a Weimar?) Bernanke

I'm pretty partial to the Rotrink Tikky 3. Mine has a pencil and two pens, but they also make a straight pencil.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2862/146qxp.jpg

Hey, Although I'm new to FP, I have been in the pencil market for awhile--was a bioengineer when I was in Undergrad. I highly recommend Staedtler, esp the regulators. They have them on ebay straight from Japan! Can't find too many of them in US stores. I also like TUL pencils from Korea (I think). TULs are simply designed with just the right diameter!

Have fun!

DumboMD

Hello Everyone,

Well, my brother just graduated with a bachelor's degree in pure math from a very well-known east coast school, and he will be starting graduate school this fall in pure math at another very well-known east coast school. I'm so proud of him!!! He works very hard, and he (like me) didn't have it easy growing up.

anyway, i want to get him a mechanical pencil for this fall, and I've let him know that I'm going to buy him one. I've asked for his specifications so that I could get enough information for everyone HERE to help me find one for him(!!!!!!!), and this is what he's told me thus far that he wants in a pencil:

1. it must take .5mm lead
  2. it has to be a click pencil
  3. it needs to be somewhat thin
  4. it shouldn't be too short
  5. and it needs to have a decent erases (i told him i'll buy him one of those pen-like click erasers, but he doesn't like that idea...ugh)

originally, i wanted to buy him the Twsbi mechanical pencil as I thought that would be perfect for him, or one of those rotring rapid pro pencils (i've been browsing Dave's Mechanical Pencils blog), but I guess the eraser option isn't the best on these. Of course, I could buy him a TON of extra erasers, and i may just do this.

so, any suggestions for a pure math grad student with the aforementioned specifications?

thanks so much in advance,

j

Eat Well, Stay Fit, Die Anyways...:D

Denise

I was a pencil nerd before I graduated to FPs.

IMO, no serious pencil user uses the built-in eraser. It's the same way no serious user of 2mm leadholder uses a built-in "lead pointer." They are emergency backups, like that flashlight in your drawer that probably has dead batteries.

I've had my Pentel Graphgear 1000 (the pro $15 one) for about 5 years now. I love it. I thought I had broken it when it had a VERY stubborn lead jam, but it eventually cleared and it is now back in service. While I like the retractable point, the Graphgear 1000 is a loooong MP. That makes the balance a little weird, and it won't fit clipped on many pockets-- the pencil is too long (or pockets too shallow, if you prefer).

On a daily basis, I use Staedtler 925s. They are fantastically well-made, and the "click" is very satisfyingly precise. They don't over-meter lead-- you may need to click a time or two more than with some other pencils-- and they balance is great.

The regular plastic 925s are amazingly good pencils at a low price point.

I personally prefer the more substantial 925-25 series (the silver aluminum line). There is now at Jetpens the new black line of 925s that is very classy.

Rotring collects high praise, but I use 0.3mm lead and Rotring doesn't support that size. If they made a 0.3mm 600 or RapidPro, I would be all over it!

Defintely cannot go wrong with Staedtler.

I will be buying a kuru-toga (or 3) in the very near future.

JH

Edited by Hohn

UPDATE: My brother said he really like the look of the Pentel Kerry and the Rotring Rapid Pro, both in .5mm. He's a bit nervous about the size of the eraser, but he if I get him a supply of erasers to fit in the pencils, then he would love one of the two. I'll probably get him both, as well as a Tombow eraser to try to convert him!

keep the suggestions coming. i'm gonna wait another week to buy to see what else you guys / gals can suggest :)

I am a pure math people. If I use the eraser on the back of the pencil, the eraser will not last a day with the amount of erasing I need to do (that is why we use pencil after all). Try get him several kind of eraser. Eraser on common pencil usually has a special texture(hard, rubbery), which most people don't like. Maybe your brother like that kind of texture. A lot of time people favor those soft plasticy kind of eraser, and I know some math people dislike it. Buy many kind of erasers, and let him test them out.

Many years ago, I bought a eraser that I love so much, I went back to get 10 of them the next day. I am still using them today :lol: .

Fountain Pen Travel/display Case out of stock now. Found new materials. People in the wait list will be contacted, slowly. Thank you!