The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor 1911 Midsized 14K Mf

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PacificCoastPen

PacificCoastPen

Key in a Socket

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2011 - 22:29

Posted Image

This nib is delightfully smooth. Compared to the Pel M200 Fine, it is a tad thinner.
The Pilot Knight medium is actually a tad thinner than the Sailor MF.
In comparison, the Waterman Phileus M looks like a street sweeper.

I LOVE THIS PEN!!!!!

Edited by PacificCoastPen, 18 June 2011 - 22:37.

Check out this new flickr page for pen wraps https://www.flickr.com/photos/99441859@N05/

Sponsored Content

#2 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:50

Glad you're happy with your 1911 :) I recently bought a 1911 full size with the 21k nib and have been equally impressed. It's quickly becoming one of my faves.
Tamara

#3 empyrean

empyrean

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:57

I love my 1911 full-sized. Have a M/F combo nib which is absolutely fantastic.
empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

#4 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:15

We should also amend the reviews for mandatory nib shots. :P

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#5 fourseamer

fourseamer

Up and In

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:48

Nice review. Happy to see the line sizes in the photo match my expectations. I have several Lamy F and M nibs, and I'm in the market for a Sailor 1911. The MF looks nice.

#6 empyrean

empyrean

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2011 - 15:35

I think more pens should come with a M/F nib choice. I love my Sailor 1911 M/F. Sure takes the apprehension out of which one to buy~! :roflmho:
empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

#7 PacificCoastPen

PacificCoastPen

Key in a Socket

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2011 - 00:41

Posted Image

This nib is delightfully smooth. Compared to the Pel M200 Fine, it is a tad thinner.
The Pilot Knight medium is actually a tad thinner than the Sailor MF.
In comparison, the Waterman Phileas M looks like a street sweeper.

I LOVE THIS PEN!!!!!

PS. This is Staples Bagasse paper.
Check out this new flickr page for pen wraps https://www.flickr.com/photos/99441859@N05/

#8 Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2011 - 00:51

Do you have a feel for how this one would compare to a Pelikan M800? Specifically, which one would you recommend and why?

Edited by Russ Prechtl, 26 June 2011 - 00:52.

Posted Image

#9 PacificCoastPen

PacificCoastPen

Key in a Socket

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2011 - 17:30

I only have Pelikan M200s with the following nib options..F,M,0.7mmIC and 0.9 mm IC. These are all steel nibs but all have that touch of spring in them that make writing easy. These nibs do not have any flex in them, but just a bit of a bit of give to them. All of my M200 nibs are wonderfully smooth (from Binder.) There is no comparison of the rather plain M200 nib compared to the very ornate Sailor nib. The Sailor nib feels more 'substantial' than the M200, but both are great to write with. Plus, the price of the Pelikan M200 makes it an incredible deal. The Sailor has larger barrel width similar to a Waterman Phileas. It is shorter to write with unposted compared to both the Pelikan M200 and Phileas. If I had to take one or two pens on a desert island, I would take the Sailor over the Phileas and buy another Sailor! (The idea of taking two 'sailors' on a desert island...maybe I wouldn't be on that deserted island for long!!! ;)

Edited by PacificCoastPen, 26 June 2011 - 17:32.

#10 Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2011 - 00:12

Nice! Thanks a million.
Posted Image

#11 PacificCoastPen

PacificCoastPen

Key in a Socket

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:00

I would take the Sailor over the Pelikan 200, too.

#12 bk123

bk123

Long Live FPN

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:32

I always carry my sailor sapporo MF nib with me. Superb writer!!

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

#13 Dimitrios_P

Dimitrios_P

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:43

Nice....!

Try the full size 1911. You will be amazed!
"Ignorance of all things is an evil neither terrible nor excessive, nor yet the greatest of all; but great cleverness and much learning, if they be accompanied by a bad training, are a much greater misfortune."

Plato (Greek philosopher 428-348 B.C.)

#14 Skeet

Skeet

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:51

"In comparison, the Waterman Phileus M looks like a street sweeper".

I agree. My Phileas medium skates across the paper like a conventional broad nib. Still....I luv the way it writes.

Edited by Skeet, 01 December 2011 - 07:52.

IF YOU FREE YOUR MIND...YOUR PEN WILL FOLLOW
PhotobucketPhotobucket

#15 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 18:26

very nice review!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum