Omas Emotica

Mike S.

I see, so your point is that the clip is non-obvious as far as being a pen stand is concerned. And Duchamp's art is clearly obvious without relying on a further state change. I think I am quite convinced that my Duchamp metaphor has been clearly overextended.

Gary, the interesting pen you mentioned somehow reminded me of a James Bond pen. I don't know why.

The mobile desk pen idea is interesting too. This is clearly a controversial pen generating multiple interpretations! I see less desk pens these days but I can see how it works now deployed on my desk. Great idea!

All said, the form implied cannot be constrained by the function used. A fin shaped clip with a triangular form for stability would still have worked-perhaps a tad too bold-but nevertheless, still a functioning form. But the designers chose a split clip instead.

:)

AAA

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lecorbusier

• Mike S.

• Titivillus

• _EL_

I have found another use for the clip -- because you can open and close it, one side at a time, I find it almost impossible not to fiddle and fidget with it in boring meetings, which helps me pass the time. If you're meeting with a person who's easily annoyed, there can be an added sadistic benefit.

It's also fun to watch people's eyes follow the pen as you pull out the clip and stand the pen up on its head while you search through a file or stack of documents.

Edited by Mike S.

Haha, Mike, don't do the fidgeting thing while waiting in line at the security check at the airport...I can see those guards saying, "Sir, may we have a look at that mini rake you intend to bring into the plane?"

I once have a wine-pull (the rabbit type but the original version) taken out before 9/11. It was jokingly described as a medieval torture device. I don't think they will ever allow anything of this sort in the cabin now.

AAA

• 1 month later...

I SOOOOO WANT ONE!

But so does my roommate.

and her birthday is comming. I feel guilty buying myself one. maybe i should buy it for her and hope she returns the favor.

Hi Amadeus,

Are you the Amadeus I met? Nice to see you here! I am Jeff!

The Emotica is nice. I just switched to the Noodler's RB I got from you. A lot more saturated than the PR I was using. Nice ink!

Say hi to Jess for me! Will you be at the PCCH this Saturday?

AAA

I'll grant that the Emotica is a very nice pen (although I decry the choice to use a titanium nib), but I gotta say that if you're into modern anti-bling pens you can buy three Lamy 2000s for the price of that Italian thing. biggrin.gif

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/lamy_2000.jpg

Very good review, by the way.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

QUOTE (Richard @ Mar 5 2007, 10:35 AM)
...although I decry the choice to use a titanium nib...

Why, Richard? Do you not think that Titanium is a good choice of material for a nib or is it something else?

Dan

Yes, indeed, why Richard? Why is Titanium nib problematic?

Haha, or one ferrari for three porsches. That's about right.

AAA

First of all, thanks for the review.

The minimalist design is certainly a thumbs up (a la Lamy 2000) but I wouldn't put my money on one (unless given that is).

QUOTE (Richard @ Mar 5 2007, 12:35 PM)
I'll grant that the Emotica is a very nice pen (although I decry the choice to use a titanium nib), but I gotta say that if you're into modern anti-bling pens you can buy three Lamy 2000s for the price of that Italian thing. biggrin.gif

or 10 pilot knights

or even nearly 20 lamy safaris laugh.gif

-Nick

I purchased an Emotica with a fine tip a couple of days ago and I am very pleased with how it writes. Since I bought it for its performance, and the Emotica's form has already been commented on here, I will limit my comments to how it writes.

I test drove it in the store for a considerable amount time before deciding to purchase it. I went "oooh" when I first flexed it. The ink flow when dipped in the store was slightly less with a thinner line than when I got it home and filled the convertor with Aurora Black ink. The fine in the Emotica produces a slightly wider line than the fine in the Japanese Namiki. The pen works well for cursive writing with line shading at line spacings of 4mm (1/8 inch) and higher. It's line width is a little too thick for Copperplating at a line spacing of 4mm, but works well for Copperplating at line spacings of 6mm and higher. It is every bit as flexible as my Namiki but the flex action feels more like a dip pen when compared to the feel of the Namiki.

It is only "toothy" if held at too steep of an angle. The nib flows smoothly, but does "sing" slightly. With a light touch the nib has excellent control, and recovers quickly and cleanly after flexing. The ink flow is sufficient for the widest lines and a fairly fast pace. The pen handles and feels great.

I too am curious to know why Richard does not like the titanium nib construction. I am assuming that Omas used titanium to keep the nib from softening over time, but it may have been just for aesthetics. If anyone knows, please leave a reply.

Edited by Stratuswriter

Thanks for the 'mini-review'! Few words but a ton of insights.

I have not technically measured the 'mm' of this pen but I did realize that it has some shading capacities depending on how you angle your pen relative to the words you are writing. I normally hold the pen at a steeper angle so I did experience the toothiness you described only on some papers. The most interesting thing with this pen is that it feels different (and the experience as well...) when you write very quickly or when you slow down to emphasize the pressure of putting words on the paper.

A word of caution: the nib can be sprung, or at least, gradually softening. I tried a 'seasoned' test pen during my purchase and you can almost see how far the nib can go given some time and pressure to it. Like all metals, it will not reform beyond a certain point. To add to your question on the use of titanium, part of the reason is the overall high-tech look of this pen. They could have gone a full retro flex if they wanted to in order for them to make a point in flex. Ironically, the nib is also one of the many negative factors driving more people away from this pen because it is simply not ornate enough for the habitus of FP users.

I just ordered my Arte Italiana Arco and I am curious to see how the same Bock nib compares to this one!

Edited by lecorbusier

AAA

To add to your question on the use of titanium, part of the reason is the overall high-tech look of this pen.

You are certainly right about the high tech appearance of the nib. It will be interesting to see how well the titanium nib gets on with time.

I also test drove the Arte Italiana Arco and was very impressed. Please give us a review when you get it. That may be my next purchase as well.

Stratuswriter

My experience with titanium products is that it will get darker with time. That's why I chose the black barrel than the yellow one because it will contrast better in time. I am looking forward to my new Arco and hopefully do a mini-review when it arrives.

AAA

• 1 month later...

I saw the Emotica in shiny red metal finish at the Chicago pen show last week. What a beautiful pen. I was told by Kenro that it will available in June. Will post pix and a review when it arrives in the mail.

I wonder if the Emotica has a titanium coated nib or if it is solid titanium. If memory serves me correctly, the Parker T-1 was made of titanium and the nibs were notorious for breaking. Otherwise, doesn't the nib seem to lose some panache being made of a dark material?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

The new red Emotica is made of cotton resin, not rubberized "soft touch". Arghh...should have waited for this one. But on the other hand, the metal is shinier on this one and I still prefer the muted matt finish on the original version.

The nib is made of titanium, not titanium coated. I think alloying and machining titanium have advanced greatly since the days of T-1. A better comparison is with the newer nibs on Stipula 22 or the titanium milord. You can probably spring those nibs beyond their elastic threshold but you probably can't break it.

I think panache loss is to the eye of the beholder. While I can appreciate the nice big shiny gold nib of a M1000 or 149, the muted nib of emotica speaks of an ascetic yet well-crafted instrumental aesthetics. It is not going to reveal its unabashed beauty to you like a white gold nib, but titanium that is sand-blasted does glitter nicely in the sun.

I wonder if the Emotica has a titanium coated nib or if it is solid titanium. If memory serves me correctly, the Parker T-1 was made of titanium and the nibs were notorious for breaking. Otherwise, doesn't the nib seem to lose some panache being made of a dark material?

AAA

• 2 months later...

I've had one for a few months now. It's ag reat pen writes really well in my opinoin ( I have a F nib). Mine is a yellow one. The only problem I have with it is that the cap got dirty very fast. The rubber material it's made of soaks in black spots, not ink. I don't know how to clean it. water doesn't work. Some of the stains were made by the leather case I put it in when I carry it around. Apparently the pen material soaked in the leather and now it won't come out. Any suggestions?

Wesley's Clear Magic perhaps. It's gotten a bit difficult to find, but has greatly out performed Simple Green in very tough jobs. An alternative would be Krud Cutter.

Wayne

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant