The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Namiki Ink Water Resistance Test

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 HeathnKara

HeathnKara

Mike Under the Oaks

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:33

Background: I work in a chemical plant environment and I need a waterproof or highly water resistant ink. I had recently started using a Namiki VP (easy to use one handed) and wanted to use cartridges for convenience. Before I swapped from Noodler's Black though, I had to see how the Namiki ink compared. Thanks to Taki for providing me with sample cartridges to use in my test.

Setup: I compared five inks: Namiki Black, Namiki Blue, Namiki Blue-Black, Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue and Noodler's Black. The PR and the Noodler's inks were included as controls, one waterproof and the other not. One sheet was placed under running water for one minute, the other soaked in water for thirty minutes. The test each sheet was exposed to is noted in the bottom right hand corner.

One Minute Running Water Results: As expected, Noodler's showed no change and the PR was almost completely obliterated. The surprise was that the Namiki Blue showed the most water resistance of the three Namiki shades. Black degraded significantly, and the Blue-Black was that remained was predominately Blue. Blue appeared to have the largest portion of the original ink remaining.

Thirty Minute Soaking Results: Similar results as noted in the one minute running water test, with additional observation that the Namiki Blue showed greater resistance to being transported through the paper by the water, i.e. it "smudged" less.

Overall Conclusion: The Namiki Blue ink performed the best of the three Namiki inks, and while not waterproof has excellent water resistance properties.

Pictures are in separate posts because I'm not clever enough to put multiples in one posting.

Comments and suggestions welcome, as long as nobody starts a flame war. Thanks again to Taki, without whom this humble test would not have happened.

Heath
Arguing with an engineer is a lot like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while, you realize the pig likes it.

Geaux Tigers!

Sponsored Content

#2 HeathnKara

HeathnKara

Mike Under the Oaks

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:34

One Minute Running Water Prior to Testing

Attached Images

• Namiki_Ink_Test___3.JPG

Arguing with an engineer is a lot like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while, you realize the pig likes it.

Geaux Tigers!

#3 HeathnKara

HeathnKara

Mike Under the Oaks

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:35

Thirty Minute Soak Prior to Testing

Attached Images

• Namiki_Ink_Test___4.JPG

Geaux Tigers!

#4 HeathnKara

HeathnKara

Mike Under the Oaks

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:35

One Minute Running Water After Testing

Attached Images

• Namiki_Ink_Test___8.JPG

Geaux Tigers!

#5 HeathnKara

HeathnKara

Mike Under the Oaks

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:36

Thirty Minute Soak After Testing

Attached Images

• Namiki_Ink_Test___7.JPG

Geaux Tigers!

#6 chainwhip

chainwhip

Eastside Derailleur Mangler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:38

Thanks for the review... Geaux Tigers! smile.gif
Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!
WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

#7 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 18:03

Thanks for the interesting test results!
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#8 NG-Huy

NG-Huy

Flamboyant Eyes

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 21:57

Does Namiki black ink exist in bottles version? I only can find cartridges and I'd like to use it in other than a Pilot pen.

#9 HeathnKara

HeathnKara

Mike Under the Oaks

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 23:24

You can buy Namiki ink in bottles. I think pendemonium.com and swisherpens.com carry it.

Heath

Geaux Tigers!

#10 johnr55

johnr55

The New Deal

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:17

Thanks for the test! Nice to see you're so close--I live in Lake Jackson. Hope you're enjoying this cold front--

#11 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:33

Is it difficult to flush Namiki Blue (also known as Pilot Blue) ink?

Edited by Pen2009, 07 July 2009 - 09:34.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#12 holgalee

holgalee

pen friendly person

• Member - Gold

• 1,185 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:35

Was looking for reviews of Namik/Pilot blue when I came across this. Can it be pinned to the review index? smile.gif

#13 scratchy

scratchy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2009 - 21:29

I also have just come across this post at a good time. I know it's been a while but, Heath, thankyou very much for doing these tests and posting the results. I have a new Pilot VP and have been using Pilot Blue cartridges but been a little nervous that it would wash away when I spill something on my journal (it has happened a few times!). Some Pilot Black and Blue-Black cartridges are on their way to me from Jet Pens as well so I'm quite relieved.

scratchy
Sailor Professional Gear GT B Nib
Sailor Sapporo GT F Nib
Pelikan M1000 (black) B Nib
Bexley Simplicity bronze GT B nib
Pilot VP blue/GT B nib

#14 1000km

1000km

Full-time writer

• Member - Gold

• 1,038 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 13:40

Another thumbs up here for Namiki blue. A well-behaved if plain-looking blue that is surprisingly water resistant.
I believe that Namiki Blue is different to Pilot Blue. Certainly they are supplied in different bottles.

#15 bluemagister

bluemagister

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 854 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:19

I'm using Pilot Namiki Blue cartridges in my VP until I can get my hands on Bad Belted Kingfisher (which is in the mail on the way here as I type this). Although I have yet to use it for really critical writing, it's good to know that it will resist a spill or two. It's also a really good-flowing, well-behaved, all-around good, basic ink that I can't ever complain about.

EXCELLENT REVIEW and it makes me feel confident using the blue carts in my Plumix for italics practice.

#16 elysee

elysee

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,502 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:05

Hmm, I will have to get some Namiki/Pilot blue!

Thank you for sharing this! :clap1:

#17 Goodwhiskers

Goodwhiskers

Certified language nut

• Member - Gold

• 2,124 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 15:53

Another thumbs up here for Namiki blue. A well-behaved if plain-looking blue that is surprisingly water resistant.
I believe that Namiki Blue is different to Pilot Blue. Certainly they are supplied in different bottles.

Yes, the bottles are different (causing the price difference), but both brands are printed on the cartridge box, and the color is the same from the Namiki bottle and the Pilot/Namiki cartridge (unless some evaporation has happened from an older cartridge).

The Namiki bottle is worth the extra cost, at least to buy it once for that color. It looks cool, has an excellent cap seal, and has an internal dip well to make it easier to fill pens.

#18 SCRIBLERIAN

SCRIBLERIAN

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 19:30

Thanks for this review. I just bought a bottle of Pilot Blue from jetpens based on your recommendation.

Best,
Jesse
Canada

Background: I work in a chemical plant environment and I need a waterproof or highly water resistant ink. I had recently started using a Namiki VP (easy to use one handed) and wanted to use cartridges for convenience. Before I swapped from Noodler's Black though, I had to see how the Namiki ink compared. Thanks to Taki for providing me with sample cartridges to use in my test.

Setup: I compared five inks: Namiki Black, Namiki Blue, Namiki Blue-Black, Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue and Noodler's Black. The PR and the Noodler's inks were included as controls, one waterproof and the other not. One sheet was placed under running water for one minute, the other soaked in water for thirty minutes. The test each sheet was exposed to is noted in the bottom right hand corner.

One Minute Running Water Results: As expected, Noodler's showed no change and the PR was almost completely obliterated. The surprise was that the Namiki Blue showed the most water resistance of the three Namiki shades. Black degraded significantly, and the Blue-Black was that remained was predominately Blue. Blue appeared to have the largest portion of the original ink remaining.

Thirty Minute Soaking Results: Similar results as noted in the one minute running water test, with additional observation that the Namiki Blue showed greater resistance to being transported through the paper by the water, i.e. it "smudged" less.

Overall Conclusion: The Namiki Blue ink performed the best of the three Namiki inks, and while not waterproof has excellent water resistance properties.

Pictures are in separate posts because I'm not clever enough to put multiples in one posting.

Comments and suggestions welcome, as long as nobody starts a flame war. Thanks again to Taki, without whom this humble test would not have happened.

Heath

#19 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2011 - 14:45

Well, here's another ink I need to order.... :headsmack:
It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Sponsored Content