Pilot 78G W/ Plumix Italic Nib Review

ninobrn99

Purchased this pen on ebay for $12 shipped!

I read so many reviews about it that I HAD to give it a shot. The biggest selling point for me was that the nib and section was interchangeable with the Pilot Plumix. I loved the nib on my Plumix, but the pen leaked and I had issues with the converter.

The fact that this pen is now an italic AND that I can use any ink I want (currently filled with Noodler's Purple Wampum)!!

The pen is very light and doesn't get at all uncomfortable to use. When putting the cap on or setting it down, you can hear how cheap it is. What I mean is that you can tell it's made out of plastic and not resin.

I plan on making this my workhorse from now on! However, I don't think my Libelle Chromatic Speed is going to be too fond of my decision....

Here is my written review for my new 78G:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/pilot%2078g%20review/review.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/pilot%2078g%20review/IMG_2226.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/pilot%2078g%20review/IMG_2231.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/pilot%2078g%20review/IMG_2230.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/pilot%2078g%20review/IMG_2229.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/pilot%2078g%20review/IMG_2228.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/pilot%2078g%20review/IMG_2232.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/pilot%2078g%20review/IMG_2233.jpg

Nino

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ninobrn99

• CatBookMom

• fiberdrunk

• lozacpera1

I recently bought this pen. I was surprised with the quality of the nib. Very smooth nib. It cost me 8 euros for a set of fountain pen and ballpoint pen.. I probably wouldn't have taken it if it wasn't the last set in the shop. Very nice pen indeed. You can tell that it is made out of cheap plastic just by looking at it, but you can't judge how it writes by looking, you have to write with it. When you start to write with it, that's when it starts to shine and stand out, and above, the material that it's made off. Ok now it is time to mention what i don't like about this pen. It writes a bit dry for my taste. I like a little wetter nibs at this time. With all this said i can only say that i can recomend it as every-day pen. It writes well and if it is lost you can always by another one.

I tweaked mine a little and it writes much wetter. It's hard to explain what I did, but it was just a matter of bending the sides out away from the feeder if that makes any sense at all.

The Plumix nib is a great one...but you can actually get a Pilot 78G B-nib which is almost identical but gold plated (and thus matches your 78G).

I slapped the Plumix nib on my Pilot Knight and now have a small but heavy italic pen that looks great and writes well. Believe it or not this is one of my favorite pens (performs better than many more expensive ones I own), and garners all sorts of compliments b/c of the nice red finish and the interesting clip design.

So while I'm not a fan of the Plumix (I don't get pens without clips)...I must say it's nib has come to my rescue.

Cheers,

NM

I tweaked mine a little and it writes much wetter. It's hard to explain what I did, but it was just a matter of bending the sides out away from the feeder if that makes any sense at all.

I will not touch anything. My niece starts school this fall, I think I'll save it for her.

I have both of these pens, and I've always wondered if you can do this, do you just yank the nibs out Rambo style?

If you have an orange Lamy Safari you'd be willing to part with, PM me immediately.

+10 for the 78Gs! Great writers for the tiny price. I instantly hated the cheap squeeze converter and switched to using Pilot cartridges, refilled with one of my (cough!) many inks.

I have both of these pens, and I've always wondered if you can do this, do you just yank the nibs out Rambo style?

Yup, just pinch and pull. Pretty easy! I'm considering getting the Pilot Knight and doing the same thing to it. I just need to find out where to order the nibs from.

The Plumix nib is a great one...but you can actually get a Pilot 78G B-nib which is almost identical but gold plated (and thus matches your 78G).

I slapped the Plumix nib on my Pilot Knight and now have a small but heavy italic pen that looks great and writes well. Believe it or not this is one of my favorite pens (performs better than many more expensive ones I own), and garners all sorts of compliments b/c of the nice red finish and the interesting clip design.

So while I'm not a fan of the Plumix (I don't get pens without clips)...I must say it's nib has come to my rescue.

Cheers,

NM

Do you happen to know where I can order the nibs from?

+10 for the 78Gs! Great writers for the tiny price. I instantly hated the cheap squeeze converter and switched to using Pilot cartridges, refilled with one of my (cough!) many inks.

I hate those squeeze-type converters, too. Does anybody like them? Anyway, I just ordered my first 78G last night, so I'm looking forward to testing it out.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

I hate those squeeze-type converters, too. Does anybody like them? Anyway, I just ordered my first 78G last night, so I'm looking forward to testing it out.

it hasn't bothered me too much. The return of the bladder after squeezing it is sometimes slow, but not a huge deal. It holds more ink than the converter IMO.

the nib on the 78g's (at least mine) were absolutely perfect. \

Smoother than anything I have owned

To hold a pen is to be at war

-Voltaire

What nib size did you order? I loved my F nib so much I ordered the M and B, which is a terrific stub. Some of the squeeze converters aren't too bad, but the one that came with my 78Gs was flimsy and it was so much easier to just pull it and put in a cartridge.

What nib size did you order? I loved my F nib so much I ordered the M and B, which is a terrific stub. Some of the squeeze converters aren't too bad, but the one that came with my 78Gs was flimsy and it was so much easier to just pull it and put in a cartridge.

I ordered a medium. How do you even flush/clean those squeeze converters if you want to change colors? Just squeeze and squeeze endlessly? Is there an easier way?

I ordered a medium. How do you even flush/clean those squeeze converters if you want to change colors? Just squeeze and squeeze endlessly? Is there an easier way?

Do you still have a baby's ear syringe? If not, get one. Then take a firm grip of the converter right at the section, and wiggle/twist the converter off. Then you can use your ear syringe to flush the nib/section, and use your needle syringe to flush the converter, being careful not to put a hole in the sac with the needle. This is #2 of reasons I pulled the converters and went to cartridges.

Edited by CatBookMom

Do you still have a baby's ear syringe? If not, get one. Then take a firm grip of the converter right at the section, and wiggle/twist the converter off. Then you can use your ear syringe to flush the nib/section, and use your needle syringe to flush the converter, being careful not to put a hole in the sac with the needle. This is #2 of reasons I pulled the converters and went to cartridges.

Thanks! Yes, I have the ear syringe. I tried to slide the sac off of a Hero 266 once and it tore. I'll most likely go the cartridge route, too, when the pen arrives!

Thanks! Yes, I have the ear syringe. I tried to slide the sac off of a Hero 266 once and it tore. I'll most likely go the cartridge route, too, when the pen arrives!

I didn't have difficulty pulling the converter, and I don't have much strength in my hands, hence the wiggle/turn suggestion to loosen rather than pulling the section and converter straight apart.

Me too. Not transparent. The Pilot cartridges filled neatly with a syringe are the best IMHO. I have also Pilot CON-50 screw type converter, which is not bad but if Pilot put a small plastic ball into it it would be much better. Edited by adallak

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

• 3 weeks later...

I did end up switching over to the Con 50 converter. I plan on ordering a BB 78G in the near future so I can grind it to an oblique cursive italic.